08 WRX FMIC

This is a discussion on 08 WRX FMIC within the Engine Modifications forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; So guys i bought this FMIC GODSPEED 08-11 wrx sti ej25 ej20 front mount turbo intercooler kit (BOLT-ON) | eBay ...

08 WRX FMIC

So guys i bought this FMIC
    GODSPEED 08-11 wrx sti ej25 ej20 front mount turbo intercooler kit (BOLT-ON) | eBay

And ive never done intercoolers before so i have some questions

1. About how long would it take me to install this?
    2. Is it necessary to recalibrate my MAF after installation?

Let me know ur thoughts

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Good news, everyone! xxxxxxxAnub1s's Avatar
    I Support ClubWRX
    1) Hours and hours. A lot of cutting, trimming and other BS goes into installing even a QUALITY FMIC, what you bought there is not what most would call a quality kit (not even acceptable in my book), and therefore will probably have a LOT of surprises in store for you.
    2) You'll have to do a lot of things to properly use that kit, I hope you have time and money to spare.
    3) I'm pretty sure you made a mistake in buying this thing. Do you know why you even wanted an FMIC in the first place?
    Cody
    Hawk-Eye Alliance #727 N.E.R.D #255.255.255.0

Your nighttime volunteer of near-useless information.
    Good news, everyone!

I Support ClubWRX I Support ClubWRX
    I would see if you can return it for a refund and buy a decent quality intercooler. I haven't dealt with one of those, but judging by the quality (or lack there of) of practically all of Godspeed's other products, I would expect that kit to have some fitment problems, not to mention poor performance.

Yea man...for more pwr cause i hear alot that the TMIC's get hot under the hood and theyre only real good purpose is rally racing

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by MrManny View Post
    Yea man...for more pwr cause i hear alot that the TMIC's get hot under the hood and theyre only real good purpose is rally racing
    I understand the individual words but I've not seen them in this combination before.

I suggest you follow the link in my signature, it has information about all aspects of the car. It's a nice car and it'd be a shame not to enjoy it fully and/or spend money needlessly. I think you'll find the links fun.
    WRX Info Links, Courtesy TheJ
    The world breaks everyone and afterward many are strong in the broken places. Ernest Hemingway
    I lied. I cheated. I bribed men to cover the crimes of other men. I am an accessory to murder. But the most damning thing of all... I think I can live with it. And if I had to do it all over again - I would. Benjamin Sisko
    DISCLAIMER: Opinions expressed are the author's alone and are inherently worthless.

False.

Many FMICs are poorly utilized unless you're running a much larger turbo. The heat soak is negated by the fact you will in most instances increase spool time with an FMIC as you have more volume to pressurize.

A quality and larger TMIC is better as it obviously will pressurize quicker, as well has have a lot less distance for the pressurized air to travel before reaching the intake manifold. The heatsoak also really isn't much of a big deal either as when you're running at any speed, more than enough air is flowing through it. If it was really that much of a problem, it wouldn't have been designed that way.

What turbo are you running anyway? Also what are your tuning plans? You won't effectively see results from the FMIC without optimizing it with tuning anyway...

Finally...Godspeed sucks ass. If you are going to do it, don't cheap out.
    The Hawk-Eye Alliance #90|The Blobeye Syndicate #0|The Stink-Eye Mob #0|N.E.R.D. Founding Member & #3
    2012 Lightning Red WRX Sedan Stock...for now Soon to be OpenSource tuned by: Mattypants @ WTF Tuning
    "If I have 10 ice cubes and you have 11 giraffes, how many pancakes can fit on the roof? Purple, because aliens donít wear hats" -Ying

Whoever you're hearing that from doesn't know what they're talking about.

I hear this from my teachers and they say the hardcore subaru guys get FMIC's...and most race car subaru's ive seen actually do have FMIC...also i heard godspeed is one of those good but cheap brands

I Support ClubWRX
    I hear this from my teachers and they say the hardcore subaru guys get FMIC's...and most race car subaru's ive seen actually do have FMIC...also i heard godspeed is one of those good but cheap brands
    I recommend reading more, hearing less. It will save you time and money in the long run. Please follow the link in my signature.
    WRX Info Links, Courtesy TheJ
    The world breaks everyone and afterward many are strong in the broken places. Ernest Hemingway
    I lied. I cheated. I bribed men to cover the crimes of other men. I am an accessory to murder. But the most damning thing of all... I think I can live with it. And if I had to do it all over again - I would. Benjamin Sisko
    DISCLAIMER: Opinions expressed are the author's alone and are inherently worthless.

Subaru people mainly buy FMICs for one of two reasons. The first would be looks. If you're not running a 49lb/min turbo or larger then the disadvantages of running a FMIC outweigh the advantages. Most Subaru race cars have 35r or larger turbos.. also, they don't have to be driven on the street.

The other main reason to run a FMIC is for a drag car where heatsoak while staging will cause the ECU to pull timing.

I guess if you are installing a built engine and are going to be running a large turbo then it might be worth it to install a FMIC. I have one on my car, but I have also spent well over $10k on the engine alone. If I were going to build a stage two car, or even up to a 30r I would still strongly consider a TMIC over a FMIC.

As far as Godspeed, they are one of those brands known widely throughout the community to produce junk parts. The words "Godspeed" and "good" should never be used in the same sentence. If you are going to be running a largish turbo and still want a relatively inexpensive high quality FMIC then you should look into ETS. ETS 2008-2012 Subaru WRX and STI Front Mount Intercooler Kit

Good news, everyone! xxxxxxxAnub1s's Avatar
    I Support ClubWRX
    The "hardcore" Subaru guys know better than to stick an FMIC on an otherwise stock car. Your teachers are idiots. Most drag Subaru's have tens of thousands of dollars sunk into them, engines built to high heaven, and enormous turbochargers that are rotated and won't allow for a TMIC setup. Until you go ridiculous, an FMIC is nothing but a flashy, and frankly boring, piece of equipment. Not to mention the fact that many FMIC kits require cutting into support structure at the front of the car, making your car that much less safe.

A 10 minute search session on this site would have saved you a lot of headache.
    Cody
    Hawk-Eye Alliance #727 N.E.R.D #255.255.255.0

Your nighttime volunteer of near-useless information.
    Good news, everyone!

Well guys i c wat ur saying...ima try 2 refund my FMIC...What do you guys think if i upgraded to a better TMIC?

I Support ClubWRX
    I've got a processwest TMIC and I have 430whp (that's around 530 horsepower at the crank). A good top mount can take you a lot farther than people used to think.
    Kevin
    Sinister's Blowoff Valve FAQ
    WRX Gas Mileage FAQ
    Sinister's Progress Thread - 430whp 429wtq - Sold
    Firearms Enthusiasts Thread

The Sheriff's Star at the bottom left corner rates a user's reputation.
    If you found a user's post to be helpful or quite the opposite, please make it known to them by clicking the Star!

Having just gone through this with my 2013 wrx, I can only suggest one thing to keep in mind:
    Dont cheap out.

The FMIC can be a good intercooler, if you have, or plan to have, an upgraded turbo/motor. Otherwise they aren't really needed.

I've now gotten a PW TMIC, and I love it. It's gorgeous, high quality, and with a good turbo blanket & heat shield, the heat soak can be limited to acceptable levels.

Ok thx everyone