EL header + stock muffler louder than stock?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

This is a discussion on EL header + stock muffler louder than stock? within the Engine Modifications forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; I've been running the following on my '08 WRX for a while now with no noise problems: Stock GRF manifolds ...

I've been running the following on my '08 WRX for a while now with no noise problems:

Stock GRF manifolds / COP / UP
    TD05-E16G
    Invidia catted DP
    Custom 76mm midpipe with resonator
    Stock axleback

I just added an equal-length header to the mix and now the noise on the highway is pissing me off. I don't mind the tone, don't give a rat's ass about 'teh rumble' or lack of. Seems to me the stock muffler is well-designed for cancelling out the strange off-beat noise with stock manifolds but not good at muffling the higher-pitched noise.

Anyone else had this problem? What's the best solution... different chambered muffler or absorption type? I want better flow than the stock muffler and absolute minimum noise.

Funny thing is that my buddy just went from UEL to EL header and his car (with straight-through, 3" core, 6" tipped puppy-launcher) actually got much quieter.
    Happiness isn't just around the corner, it is the corner.

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I Support ClubWRX
    I have a catless exhaust system and it got significantly (annoyingly, actually) quieter with an EL manifold. I know it's not what you were looking to hear =/
    Quote Originally Posted by Trainrex
    He was throwing balloons filled with sulfuric acid and shrapnel at the swat team. They finally had to take him down with rubber bullets.
    2011 STi Build Log
    -Part 1 - Reading, Data Logging, and Analyzing Data
    -Part 2 - Turbocharger 101 & Basic Boost Control
    -Part 3 - EcuFlash, Experimental Defintions, and a Drive By Wire Intro

Quote Originally Posted by Heide264 View Post
    I have a catless exhaust system and it got significantly (annoyingly, actually) quieter with an EL manifold. I know it's not what you were looking to hear =/
    I'd have to hear what the rest of your system is comprised of for this info to be useful

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by fahr_side View Post
    I'd have to hear what the rest of your system is comprised of for this info to be useful
    Sorry. Probably would help.

I have an Invidia Race EL Manifold, Grimspeed UP w/ 44mm EWG, stock turbo, invidia catless DP, Nameless 3" midpipe and axle back (magna-flow muffler).

Not a bad system. Was pretty loud until I put the manifold on. I almost want to try some straight through type mufflers just for ****s and giggles sometime. Don't feel like spending the cash on them though =P
    He was throwing balloons filled with sulfuric acid and shrapnel at the swat team. They finally had to take him down with rubber bullets.
    2011 STi Build Log

high pitched noise would make me think leak.

did you change all the gaskets when you did the headers? torqued to specs?

check the welds for cracks?

Quote Originally Posted by shadowpr View Post
    high pitched noise would make me think leak.

did you change all the gaskets when you did the headers? torqued to specs?

check the welds for cracks?
    It's all good. New gaskets, pro install, brand-new quality (Tomei) header, no sign of exhaust leaks, late-spool / failure to hit targets.

It's not really loud, just louder than it was, and in an annoying way. Maybe this what other people mean when they say their exhaust drones. I don't know. I just know I have to turn the stereo up a lot higher than before to cover the exhaust noise while cruising on the freeway.

Sorry. Probably would help.

I have an Invidia Race EL Manifold, Grimspeed UP w/ 44mm EWG, stock turbo, invidia catless DP, Nameless 3" midpipe and axle back (magna-flow muffler).

Not a bad system. Was pretty loud until I put the manifold on. I almost want to try some straight through type mufflers just for ****s and giggles sometime. Don't feel like spending the cash on them though =P
    Thanks. Your Magnaflow is a chambered or straight-through type? Part number?

I Support ClubWRX
    Thanks. Your Magnaflow is a chambered or straight-through type? Part number?
    It's a single entry, 4 exit muffler - chambered I believe. I'm not sure of the part number. It's Nameless's original 5-door axle back.
    2011 STi Build Log

I Support ClubWRX
    I've been running the following on my '08 WRX for a while now with no noise problems:

Stock GRF manifolds / COP / UP
    TD05-E16G
    Invidia catted DP
    Custom 76mm midpipe with resonator
    Stock axleback

I just added an equal-length header to the mix and now the noise on the highway is pissing me off. I don't mind the tone, don't give a rat's ass about 'teh rumble' or lack of. Seems to me the stock muffler is well-designed for cancelling out the strange off-beat noise with stock manifolds but not good at muffling the higher-pitched noise.

Anyone else had this problem? What's the best solution... different chambered muffler or absorption type? I want better flow than the stock muffler and absolute minimum noise.

Funny thing is that my buddy just went from UEL to EL header and his car (with straight-through, 3" core, 6" tipped puppy-launcher) actually got much quieter.
    And you have which header?
    Resident Adviser @ WTF Tuning, LLC
    2002 FORESTER S
    1998 FORESTER S

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by Donkey View Post
    And you have which header?
    brand-new quality (Tomei) header
    Isaac -- 2003 WRX sedan Stg II - Gave its life for mine 6/2013.
    2007 Outback 3.0R wagon
    Proud owner of a N.E.R.D, Member 1.3810-23

He who shall be last, shall be sideways and smiling... - Jeremy Clarkson

It's a single entry, 4 exit muffler - chambered I believe. I'm not sure of the part number. It's Nameless's original 5-door axle back.
    This one?

2008-2012 Subaru STi/2011+ WRX Hatch Back Quad Tip Cat-Back Exhaust - Nameless Performance

Would you say the muffler matches this?

http://www.magnaflow.com/02product/s...=main&id=10416

I'm in an '08, so single-outlet... just trying to get an idea of how much muffler I need to shut this thing up...
    Last edited by fahr_side; 10-01-2012 at 08:27 PM.

If anyone has good experience with a particular CBE together with an EL header, as in no droning, I'm all ears.

I Support ClubWRX
    That looks like mine. Mine was one of their earlier ones though. I also don't have the resonator.

You can ask Bruce/demonWRX and see what he says. Regardless of if you like EL or not, its noticeably quieter with the EL manifold.

I don't notice any 'drone' per say. The UEL manifold was a bit noisy around 3k rpm on the highway I guess. I would love to hear some other muffler designs with the EL manifold though. My friend threatened to punch me in my throat if I change my catback though.
    2011 STi Build Log

Thanks. If anything I actually prefer the EL sound, but what I really want is silence... at least in the cabin. Unless I'm mistaken, that Magnaflow is a straight-through absorption type muffler. My guess is that the chambers in the stock muffler are tuned to cancel certain frequencies and now the dominant frequencies have shifted so much, it no longer works as designed.

A friend has a GDB with the usual N1-style puppy-launcher. His UEL cracked and he replaced it with a Tomei EL like mine. Car is now much quieter... I think an absorption muffler is the way to approach this.

I will probably try fitting the biggest 'turbo-style' muffler I can find (or have made) back there.

might be time for dynamat. It doesn't need to be applied corner to corner.. just a patch on each panel is enough to dampen vibration. I used two door kits (mostly on floor and rear hatch area) and it has improved my car dramatically regardless of exhaust setup (I've had a couple on it since application).

Going equal length what you've done is raised (just about doubled) the frequency of the exhaust note. It usually gets quieter for most owners because of the lack in low frequency resonance .. odd in your case that it hasn't. I'm curious if it is within the muffler tuning. Sounds like just as you suspect its not filtering the higher pitched noises out as well as the lower ones.
    OBP 2010 5dr *traded*
    SWP 2013 FRS
    My name is Shawn, I'm a Devout Practicalist and I'm addicted to flat4's
    This page has had 1,666 visits
    SUCH IS MANGO!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast