2013 WRX Exhaust Fitting Question

This is a discussion on 2013 WRX Exhaust Fitting Question within the Engine Modifications forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; My new 2013 WRX 5-Door had the SPT Exhaust installed at the dealer. To the dealer's apparent amazement I took ...

My new 2013 WRX 5-Door had the SPT Exhaust installed at the dealer. To the dealer's apparent amazement I took the OE exhaust (mid pipe and muffler) home, it is safely in my garage. The SPT exhaust is a little loud for me, I am considering options.

With the SPT mid pipe installed, can I swap in the OE muffler, or do I need to also replace the mid pipe? Would this arrangement have any negative effect on the warranty?

The dealer charged two hours @ $85 per hour for the installation, so while not free it's not killer-expensive either.

Thanks,
    Chris
    Last edited by cohland; 09-30-2012 at 03:14 PM.

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I can't answer your question but I had to comment on the labor rate. My dealer just charged me $100 in labor to install the SPT turbo heat shield, which I thought was a bit steep. But 2 hours to fit a cat-back exhaust? On a new car where none of the fittings or nuts and bolts would be rusty that just seems ridiculous. For an experienced mechanic, I cannot understand how this could take more than 30-40 mins. What a rip off.

Quote Originally Posted by Soobvirgin View Post
    I can't answer your question but I had to comment on the labor rate. My dealer just charged me $100 in labor to install the SPT turbo heat shield, which I thought was a bit steep. But 2 hours to fit a cat-back exhaust? On a new car where none of the fittings or nuts and bolts would be rusty that just seems ridiculous. For an experienced mechanic, I cannot understand how this could take more than 30-40 mins. What a rip off.
    The hours quoted come from standard labor charging, it does not matter how long it actually takes. You are right that with it being a new car it should be a breeze. But I am sure they probably eat it on other jobs. You can be sure if a mechanic constantly does not make the allotted time for a specific job, he will not be working for that dealer for very long. The goal is to do if faster than the quote so they can move on to other jobs.

I have a 2011 WRX 5 door with the SPT exhaust installed at the factory and when I got it I was ready to switch it out because it was too loud. But after about 2 - 3 months the sound mellowed out and it doesn't bother me anymore. Infact I like the sound now. You might just want to wait and see if it doesn't grow on you.

To answer part of the question, the mid pipe for the SPT does not work with the OEM muffler. The spt is a center entry and the OEM is a side entry. To go OEM, you swap mid pipe and muffler.

I was in the same boat as you. I added the nameless magnaflow axleback (quiet) to my stock midpipe and even that was too loud for me. The hatchback seems to be though to find a tolerable exhaust. I am debating trying the nameless midpipe with OEM muffler. That might get me to the sound I want without any drone.

Good luck.

Quote Originally Posted by Andrew862 View Post
    To answer part of the question, the mid pipe for the SPT does not work with the OEM muffler. The spt is a center entry and the OEM is a side entry. To go OEM, you swap mid pipe and muffler.

I was in the same boat as you. I added the nameless magnaflow axleback (quiet) to my stock midpipe and even that was too loud for me. The hatchback seems to be though to find a tolerable exhaust. I am debating trying the nameless midpipe with OEM muffler. That might get me to the sound I want without any drone.

Good luck.
    Thank you, that was very helpful. I went to FM in Junior High, oh, about a hundred years ago. Pretty place this time of year!

Chris

Another option if exhaust is too loud is dynamat. Or something similar. I figured the SPT CBE would be quiet compared with other aftermarket exhaust (wrong). Since it drives my wife nuts I'm keeping it.

Quote Originally Posted by cohland View Post
    Thank you, that was very helpful. I went to FM in Junior High, oh, about a hundred years ago. Pretty place this time of year!

Chris
    Small world. It is indeed.