Stage 2 Question 2012 WRX

This is a discussion on Stage 2 Question 2012 WRX within the Engine Modifications forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; Ok so before I start here are my current mods: Cobb AP Cobb intake Perrin DP CNT single outlet 3" ...

Stage 2 Question 2012 WRX

Ok so before I start here are my current mods:

Cobb AP
    Cobb intake
    Perrin DP
    CNT single outlet 3" exhaust

I just installed the DP and the exhaust and flashed to the Stage 2 tune yesterday. I did a few pulls and it doesnt really feel faster. Before I did the install when I was stage 1 I did a dyno on the AP in 3rd gear. It reported 300 whp and and 316 torque (keep in mind I am aware that these numbers are probably off, I am just posting them as a basis to go off of so no need for 20 posts of people arguing the validity of an AP dyno, please and thank you.) I then did a dyno after I installed everything same kind of pull in 3rd gear and it came back at 298 whp and like 320 torque. My question is has anybody experienced this problem before? Im a bit concerned to say the least. On another note I am using Cobbs S2 tune 93 octane + SF. The tune is made for a catted turbo back exhaust which is exactly what I have. Also while doing WOT pulls my air to fuel ration stays true at 11.

Any input, suggestions, test I could run would be appreciated. Thanks!

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I have had 2 AP's... they are very nice tools. I stick with a laptop and tactrix cable now though because the expense is lower. A lot of people that i've seen post on here seem to have the same issue with S2 map not "feeling" much faster. You're not going to gain massive amounts of power because cobb maps are very very mild... they have to be otherwise it would blow your motor since all cars are different.

If you really want to feel a difference you will have to get a protune... it's really as simple as that. If you are planning on doing any more modding... i'd hold off since a protune is usually 300-600.00 a pop.... overpriced if you ask me. If you aren't planning on it, then just get the protune. I would imagine that with the current mods you would gain likely 15-20 whp over where you are now. Just IMO of course.
    2012 WRX: TurboXS DP, AEM CAI, TP stage 2 tune

That makes sense to me, I was thinking off going the route of open source but before I did anything like that I wanted to make sure I didnt have any problems that I wasnt aware of. Thanks for your input.

Honestly, here there are A LOT more AP protuners so you're probably in better shape than I. There are a few places that do the OS tuning. I'm not finished modding and am using the TP stage 2 map which said I was at 305/324 (or something around there) so your map may not be as far off as you think.

Idk what it is it just feels slower in 3rd and 4th lol.

Cobb also sets the advance multiplier low on their maps. This means than that when you first flash a new map the advance tables have to "re-learn" before the car fully feels right again. This usually only takes a few days but can take up to a week or better depending on your driving habbits/routes.

Run it for a few more days and log it again. fyi, as an ap owner as well.. dude dont use that dyno function as a benchmark. It'll just give you a headache. lol I've done back to back runs with mine in identical conditions and had goofy results each time. Its like a horoscope.. fun to look at but pretty much useless for factual data.

Anyhow, run it for a few days and log it (no dyno, just good solid data logs) and make sure you dont have any fine knock learn (fnl) values over 1.4* If you want more snot, consider going with a E-tune from a good tuner. Personally I like Phatboti but there are many others that also do fine work.
    OBP 2010 5dr *traded*
    SWP 2013 FRS
    My name is Shawn, I'm a Devout Practicalist and I'm addicted to flat4's
    This page has had 1,666 visits
    SUCH IS MANGO!

Yeah like I said I was just using it because I have no other numbers to go by haha. I am aware it is not a valid source of information. Just bothered me that I would get a lower number on a different tune almost a grand later haha. Im looking forward to it re-learning then. It also bothered me b/c I did a 1/4 mile drag and my time came back lower than the stock time is supposed to be. I guess ill see what happens.

Quote Originally Posted by mangostick View Post
    Cobb also sets the advance multiplier low on their maps. This means than that when you first flash a new map the advance tables have to "re-learn" before the car fully feels right again. This usually only takes a few days but can take up to a week or better depending on your driving habbits/routes.

Run it for a few more days and log it again. fyi, as an ap owner as well.. dude dont use that dyno function as a benchmark. It'll just give you a headache. lol I've done back to back runs with mine in identical conditions and had goofy results each time. Its like a horoscope.. fun to look at but pretty much useless for factual data.

Anyhow, run it for a few days and log it (no dyno, just good solid data logs) and make sure you dont have any fine knock learn (fnl) values over 1.4* If you want more snot, consider going with a E-tune from a good tuner. Personally I like Phatboti but there are many others that also do fine work.
    wouldn't you really have to have a WB02 to get the fine tuning you need for an E-tune?

Its nice to have but no. Not for just a stageII tune w intake.

Now if you were swapping turbo's or drastically changing how the engine breathes (cams, porting.. etc) then yes you would NEED a wb02 .. but for what the OP is doing and where he's at mod wise a wb02 isn't required.

All that said, its not a bad Idea to have one. Remember the guys doing E-tunes have done the same tuning on dyno's hands on many times. They know within good reason where they're at unless there's a terrible problem with the car itself. From the logs they can determine what needs to be changed and what doesn't. They start with a base map that they've proven in person, then tweak as necessary to make it happy on your specific car.

On roller in-person protunes are the best way to go, but also most expensive route. If you dont mind dropping $600+ for a protune and have a location close to you then by all means do it. If you dont have both of those conditions I'd go E-tune for now. You wont be disappointed.
    OBP 2010 5dr *traded*
    SWP 2013 FRS
    My name is Shawn, I'm a Devout Practicalist and I'm addicted to flat4's
    This page has had 1,666 visits
    SUCH IS MANGO!

Quote Originally Posted by mangostick View Post
    Its nice to have but no. Not for just a stageII tune w intake.

Now if you were swapping turbo's or drastically changing how the engine breathes (cams, porting.. etc) then yes you would NEED a wb02 .. but for what the OP is doing and where he's at mod wise a wb02 isn't required.

All that said, its not a bad Idea to have one. Remember the guys doing E-tunes have done the same tuning on dyno's hands on many times. They know within good reason where they're at unless there's a terrible problem with the car itself. From the logs they can determine what needs to be changed and what doesn't. They start with a base map that they've proven in person, then tweak as necessary to make it happy on your specific car.

On roller in-person protunes are the best way to go, but also most expensive route. If you dont mind dropping $600+ for a protune and have a location close to you then by all means do it. If you dont have both of those conditions I'd go E-tune for now. You wont be disappointed.
    well like I said... i'm running the TP S2 map which is always tweaked a little bit, I don't know how much more power could be extracted without a bigger IC, 3 port, or some other mods that might help a bit more.

.....whats a WB02? xD ... sorry im a newb.

Quote Originally Posted by ProphetWRX View Post
    .....whats a WB02? xD ... sorry im a newb.
    Wide band oxygen sensor

it helps you to monitor your air/fuel ratio a little better than the stock sensors. WB's are extremely sensitive and are excellent for fine tuning.

who makes that knock off PW TMIC by the way? I had heard it was pretty good for the price.

nevermind... I found it FMS. I read that it's pretty cheap quality though.