Best 16G/18G for 2003 WRX?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

This is a discussion on Best 16G/18G for 2003 WRX? within the Engine Modifications forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; Hey everyone, my engine has the 2.12L Forged Internals kit, and I think I may have a little bit of ...

Thumbs up Best 16G/18G for 2003 WRX?

Hey everyone, my engine has the 2.12L Forged Internals kit, and I think I may have a little bit of cash left over from the build (dont worry, its not cause I cut corners)
    And i was wondering, what are the best 16G and 18G turbo brands? (by best I mean compatibility wise, obviously the $300.00 20G turbos on ebay arent gunna work well) thank you!
    *My Headlights Turn Your Girlfriend On *
    http://www.clubwrx.net/forums/new-me...ml#post2135638
    -2002 Focus SVT-P.O.S.
    -1997 Subaru Legacy
    -2002 MBP WRX.. R.I.P.
    -2003 Sonic Yellow WRX!!

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Blouch, Garrett, Turbonetics, APS, FP, etc.
    The Hawk-Eye Alliance #90|The Blobeye Syndicate #0|The Stink-Eye Mob #0|N.E.R.D. Founding Member & #3
    2012 Lightning Red WRX Sedan Stock...for now Soon to be OpenSource tuned by: Mattypants @ WTF Tuning
    "If I have 10 ice cubes and you have 11 giraffes, how many pancakes can fit on the roof? Purple, because aliens donít wear hats" -Ying

I Support ClubWRX
    Contact each of the above and list your engine specifics. Tell them your goals and ask them to recommend a turbo from their range.
    WRX Info Links, Courtesy TheJ
    The world breaks everyone and afterward many are strong in the broken places. Ernest Hemingway
    I lied. I cheated. I bribed men to cover the crimes of other men. I am an accessory to murder. But the most damning thing of all... I think I can live with it. And if I had to do it all over again - I would. Benjamin Sisko
    DISCLAIMER: Opinions expressed are the author's alone and are inherently worthless.

okay, can you continue with the list in that case? and what do you guys think about just getting an STI turbo for it..?
    -2002 Focus SVT-P.O.S.
    -1997 Subaru Legacy
    -2002 MBP WRX.. R.I.P.
    -2003 Sonic Yellow WRX!!

I Support ClubWRX
    "STI turbo" can mean several different turbos.

The VF39 will be inexpensive bought used. You may also want more sooner rather than later since you've built quite a motor it seems. If it were a 2,5L I'd say 16G will be too small maybe. It depends. You need to talk to the turbo people and see what they say, and look at maps, and talk to owners etc.

Bump for more opinions.
    WRX Info Links, Courtesy TheJ
    The world breaks everyone and afterward many are strong in the broken places. Ernest Hemingway
    I lied. I cheated. I bribed men to cover the crimes of other men. I am an accessory to murder. But the most damning thing of all... I think I can live with it. And if I had to do it all over again - I would. Benjamin Sisko
    DISCLAIMER: Opinions expressed are the author's alone and are inherently worthless.

What are your goals? You've built the engine and that's a great start. You're in prime position to be running an 18G right now, so I believe a VF39 or VF48 or something wouldn't be what you're looking for. Also, what is your tuning solution going to be? Talk to your tuner and take suggestions from them. Keep in mind you also need to take care of the fuel delivery as well.

Bouche is probably the best bet for an 18G.
    The Hawk-Eye Alliance #90|The Blobeye Syndicate #0|The Stink-Eye Mob #0|N.E.R.D. Founding Member & #3
    2012 Lightning Red WRX Sedan Stock...for now Soon to be OpenSource tuned by: Mattypants @ WTF Tuning
    "If I have 10 ice cubes and you have 11 giraffes, how many pancakes can fit on the roof? Purple, because aliens donít wear hats" -Ying

I Support ClubWRX
    Blouch. They built my custom TD0419T.
    Moderator for: Aftermarket Vendor & Installer Review / Detailing Forum / Engine Modifications / Exterior & Appearance
    New Member Hangout / Off Topic / Tri-State
    ScoobyDMC #003 Blobeye Syndicate #10
    2004 WRX Sedan PSM 5MT Tactrix Stage 2+ Blouch TD04 19T @ 21 psi
    Mods & Pics

My goals are probably mid 300s... Im running a stock transmission with a stage 2 competition clutch, stock flywheel. And for tuning I am going with a custom dyno tune.
    -2002 Focus SVT-P.O.S.
    -1997 Subaru Legacy
    -2002 MBP WRX.. R.I.P.
    -2003 Sonic Yellow WRX!!

Quote Originally Posted by morgan46 View Post
    My goals are probably mid 300s... Im running a stock transmission with a stage 2 competition clutch, stock flywheel. And for tuning I am going with a custom dyno tune.
    Im just a noob, but ive been researching this subject myself. I dont think the engine is what is in question when upping the turbo to a 16g or a 18g, its the stock transmission.

I Support ClubWRX I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by morgan46 View Post

If you're wanting mid 300s whp on a Mustang dyno then you're going to need a larger turbo, like a Dom 1.5XT-R.

Quote Originally Posted by natepless View Post
    Im just a noob, but ive been researching this subject myself. I dont think the engine is what is in question when upping the turbo to a 16g or a 18g, its the stock transmission.
    Yes, that is why the information is included. The transmission is solid, no grinds or hesitations even at 115k. So the transmission (as long as its not launched hard, or shifted hard) should be a-okay. (I have mucho experience in wrx trannys, blew my first one up drag racing :P <-- live and learn.)
    -2002 Focus SVT-P.O.S.
    -1997 Subaru Legacy
    -2002 MBP WRX.. R.I.P.
    -2003 Sonic Yellow WRX!!

Quote Originally Posted by MainFrame View Post
    If you're wanting mid 300s whp on a Mustang dyno then you're going to need a larger turbo, like a Dom 1.5XT-R.
    And what is the size of the Dom? Getting it tuned this weekend so if Im gunna do anything, its gotta happen soon..
    -2002 Focus SVT-P.O.S.
    -1997 Subaru Legacy
    -2002 MBP WRX.. R.I.P.
    -2003 Sonic Yellow WRX!!

I believe the 1.5XT-R is a clipped 71mm exducer with a 30r turbine.

Feew! A little steep for me man.. Boy money sounds really good right now.
    -2002 Focus SVT-P.O.S.
    -1997 Subaru Legacy
    -2002 MBP WRX.. R.I.P.
    -2003 Sonic Yellow WRX!!

You're going to need $2000 for a mild turbo upgrade (injectors, pump, EBCS, tune, turbo).. $3000 to get mid 300s.

If I were looking for good mid 300s whp from a stock location turbo on pump gas this would be on the top of my list. http://www.atpturbo.com/mm5/merchant...Category_Code=
    Last edited by MainFrame; 09-30-2012 at 08:06 PM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast