Which mod to go for next?
Results 1 to 10 of 10

This is a discussion on Which mod to go for next? within the Engine Modifications forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; Well i'm looking to start saving up for my next power mod.. but i'm trying to figure out best bang ...

  1. #1
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Md
    Posts
    1,071

    Which mod to go for next?

    Well i'm looking to start saving up for my next power mod.. but i'm trying to figure out best bang for the buck. I have TXS downpipe and an AEM CAI with the TP stage 2 map.

    So what's next?

    CBE? Seems pretty expensive for little to no gain in power, at what point of hp is a CBE needed where it becomes a restriction anyway?
    TMIC? Can be expensive, but a lot more cooling and not to difficult to install. Best TM for the money?
    Fuel pump?
    injectors? I don't think these would even be needed until later on.
    Uppipe? Again, little gain for the money... maybe even no gain. PITA to install from what i've read and not even really needed.
    Protune? I could skip any other mods and just go with a protune, but i'd like to add a few more mods before going that route.

    Just thought i'd see what everyone thought.

  2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements
     

  3. #2
    Registered User Terminal Kuz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    SoCal
    Posts
    265
    Well if you have an 02-05 get an uppipe. The years i mentioned are catted and sometimes they blow and grenade your turbo with its crap inside. then your out a turbo.
    2005 WRX (Silver) SoCal Subie
    Blobeye Syndicate #1093
    http://www.clubwrx.net/forums/builds...al-05-wrx.html - Build Thread
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/34009765@N06/ - For whatever pics i take.
    Mikie13-Spend money on hookers and blow. That's a better intake.

  4. #3
    Master Baiter EJ257's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    On a stream bank somewhere
    Posts
    19,670
    I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by Methodical4u
    Well i'm looking to start saving up for my next power mod.. but i'm trying to figure out best bang for the buck. I have TXS downpipe and an AEM CAI with the TP stage 2 map.

    So what's next?
    Honestly, a custom reflash. However, you mention you'd prefer to hold off on that until you get more parts.

    Quote Originally Posted by Methodical4u
    CBE? Seems pretty expensive for little to no gain in power, at what point of hp is a CBE needed where it becomes a restriction anyway?
    You can do a CBE any time you want. If you're happy with the sound of your car now, I wouldn't bother until you upgrade turbos.

    Quote Originally Posted by Methodical4u
    TMIC? Can be expensive, but a lot more cooling and not to difficult to install. Best TM for the money?
    TMIC will increase area under the curve, and allow you to run a more aggressive tune with the same level of "safety margin". If you're going to go with an aftermarket unit, I'd go PW. While upgrading the TMIC, you may as well upgrade the recirc valve, as well. Forge seems to be a popular choice, both with price and quality.

    Quote Originally Posted by Methodical4u
    Fuel pump?
    Inexpensive modification. Before going with a custom tune, get one.

    Quote Originally Posted by Methodical4u
    injectors? I don't think these would even be needed until later on.
    Unless you plan on running E85 or upgrading turbos, I wouldn't bother.

    Quote Originally Posted by Methodical4u
    Uppipe? Again, little gain for the money... maybe even no gain. PITA to install from what i've read and not even really needed.
    If not upgrading turbos (where it's just two bolts for a new one) or going EWG, I wouldn't bother.

    Quote Originally Posted by Methodical4u
    Protune? I could skip any other mods and just go with a protune, but i'd like to add a few more mods before going that route.
    Best BFB mod you can do. You'll get more area under the curve, and better driveability.



    If you want to retain the stock turbo and get a new tune while adding parts, I'd recommend the following:
    ELH
    Uppipe (EWG, ideally)
    TMIC
    Boost control (MBC, EBCS, or both)

    If that's not enough, consider meth or E85 and/or a turbo upgrade.
    2005 WRX STi (Mods | Virtual Dyno)

    Resident Tuner @ WTF Tuning, LLC

    "Never trust anything that bleeds for a week and lives ..."

    UNYSOC

  5. #4
    Registered User Eric05mx's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    PA
    Posts
    903
    Quote Originally Posted by Methodical4u View Post
    Well i'm looking to start saving up for my next power mod.. but i'm trying to figure out best bang for the buck. I have TXS downpipe and an AEM CAI with the TP stage 2 map.

    So what's next?

    CBE? Seems pretty expensive for little to no gain in power, at what point of hp is a CBE needed where it becomes a restriction anyway?
    TMIC? Can be expensive, but a lot more cooling and not to difficult to install. Best TM for the money?
    Fuel pump?
    injectors? I don't think these would even be needed until later on.
    Uppipe? Again, little gain for the money... maybe even no gain. PITA to install from what i've read and not even really needed.
    Protune? I could skip any other mods and just go with a protune, but i'd like to add a few more mods before going that route.

    Just thought i'd see what everyone thought.
    I was searching for the same answers a few months back... As you know I ended up with an AEM intake, 3 port ebcs, Forge bpv, Process West tmic and protune.

    The car ran good with a turbo back exhaust and Cobb ots tune but I got bored after a few weeks. Now the car is really fun to drive with the torque the VF52 is capable of. Unless we get E85 local I doubt I will be doing anymore power mods because it will just snow ball out of control with headers, EWG, turbo, fuel pump, injectors, another tune, clutch, etc...
    2012 WRX ice silver metallic
    Protuned by Agile Auto 315whp/342wtq @ 20.5psi

  6. #5
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Md
    Posts
    1,071
    Yeah, I don't plan on going with another turbo likely ever. A little quicker spool can be tuned and some other parts can help with that I think.

    I like the PW IC, but man... over 900.00 I don't have right now... of course i'm just going to be slowly saving and just buy stuff as I get the money.

    It's a 2012 btw ... I always think that is on my sig... i'm going to update it now.

  7. #6
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Md
    Posts
    1,071
    well I added the stuff to my sig, but I don't see it lol.
    2012 WRX: TurboXS DP, AEM CAI, TP stage 2 tune

  8. #7
    UnBanned Sinister's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Denver Metro Area
    Posts
    17,621
    I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by Methodical4u View Post
    Well i'm looking to start saving up for my next power mod.. but i'm trying to figure out best bang for the buck. I have TXS downpipe and an AEM CAI with the TP stage 2 map.

    So what's next?

    CBE? Seems pretty expensive for little to no gain in power, at what point of hp is a CBE needed where it becomes a restriction anyway?
    TMIC? Can be expensive, but a lot more cooling and not to difficult to install. Best TM for the money?
    Fuel pump?
    injectors? I don't think these would even be needed until later on.
    Uppipe? Again, little gain for the money... maybe even no gain. PITA to install from what i've read and not even really needed.
    Protune? I could skip any other mods and just go with a protune, but i'd like to add a few more mods before going that route.

    Just thought i'd see what everyone thought.
    None of it IMO.

    I had a stock CBE at 400whp. Don't waste your $$ on a noise maker.
    IC: If you're upping boost at all, I'd look at a different IC. Those plastic end tanks scare me. There is that clamp thing you can buy for cheap which locks the end tanks tighter to the core. Can't remember the name. But, on a stock turbo... no reason for an upgraded one IMO.
    Fuel pump if you do a turbo upgrade or if you upgrade injectors.
    Injectors only if you do E85 or a turbo upgrade.
    Up pipe, only worthwhile on 02-05WRXs (I've got a stock one on my 430whp car...) On your 2012... it's pointless.

    If it were me, I'd get a 3port BCS, or do the hybrid BCS, and get a protune.
    Kevin
    Moderator
    Sinister's Blowoff Valve FAQ
    WRX Gas Mileage FAQ
    Sinister's Progress Thread - 430whp 429wtq - Sold
    Firearms Enthusiasts Thread

    The Sheriff's Star at the bottom left corner rates a user's reputation.
    If you found a user's post to be helpful or quite the opposite, please make it known to them by clicking the Star!

  9. #8
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Md
    Posts
    1,071
    Quote Originally Posted by Sinister View Post
    None of it IMO.

    I had a stock CBE at 400whp. Don't waste your $$ on a noise maker.
    IC: If you're upping boost at all, I'd look at a different IC. Those plastic end tanks scare me. There is that clamp thing you can buy for cheap which locks the end tanks tighter to the core. Can't remember the name. But, on a stock turbo... no reason for an upgraded one IMO.
    Fuel pump if you do a turbo upgrade or if you upgrade injectors.
    Injectors only if you do E85 or a turbo upgrade.
    Up pipe, only worthwhile on 02-05WRXs (I've got a stock one on my 430whp car...) On your 2012... it's pointless.

    If it were me, I'd get a 3port BCS, or do the hybrid BCS, and get a protune.
    what about the supposed leaky BOV? I do want to up the power, but i'm not sure how much just the 3 port and that will add.
    2012 WRX: TurboXS DP, AEM CAI, TP stage 2 tune

  10. #9
    Registered User maus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    Palm Beach, FL
    Posts
    1,118
    3 Port isn't for upping the power, it is for making boost easier to control. Get a new intercooler, bypass valve and protune.
    2012 DGM 5 DOOR WRX
    Mods: Stage 2+
    "I live my life a twelve year old at a time. For those ten seconds or less, I'm free."
    Official ClubWRX Creeper

  11. #10
    Registered User Heide264's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Posts
    4,168
    I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by EJ257 View Post
    If you want to retain the stock turbo and get a new tune while adding parts, I'd recommend the following:
    ELH
    TMIC
    Boost control (MBC, EBCS, or both)

    If that's not enough, consider meth or E85 and/or a turbo upgrade.
    Updated with my suggestions. Great advice in my opinion. Unless catless at this stage, I wouldn't recommend an EWG under a budget. Nice mod regardless though.

    Quote Originally Posted by Methodical4u View Post
    Yeah, I don't plan on going with another turbo likely ever. A little quicker spool can be tuned and some other parts can help with that I think.

    I like the PW IC, but man... over 900.00 I don't have right now... of course i'm just going to be slowly saving and just buy stuff as I get the money.

    It's a 2012 btw ... I always think that is on my sig... i'm going to update it now.
    The intercooler will help. Getting a lower pressure drop across the core will really bump up your turbos efficiency zone. It is pricey though, you are correct.

    Quote Originally Posted by maus View Post
    3 Port isn't for upping the power, it is for making boost easier to control. Get a new intercooler, bypass valve and protune.
    I would actually differ on this note. The 3 port actually can make the car more difficult to tune due to the new dynamics in the system. It does allow you to isolate the wastegate from the manifold completely - technically allowing 'mechanical' spool until max boost. You won't actually get completely mechanical spool, but I'd expect a better spool region in between wastegate pressure and peak boost. I would leave this up to your tuner. Some prefer specific ones... some don't. Some like the stock one.


    In summary, I'd suggest a good pro tune for the time being. Then I'd look to stock pile an intercooler, a 3-port, and maybe some good headers down the road. If you are happy with the map as is, hold off on the tune. Otherwise, I'd say go for it due to the expenses between most of your upgrade options. Call your tuner and see what they say regarding the 3-port before hand.
    Quote Originally Posted by Trainrex
    He was throwing balloons filled with sulfuric acid and shrapnel at the swat team. They finally had to take him down with rubber bullets.
    2011 STi Build Log
    -Part 1 - Reading, Data Logging, and Analyzing Data
    -Part 2 - Turbocharger 101 & Basic Boost Control
    -Part 3 - EcuFlash, Experimental Defintions, and a Drive By Wire Intro

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •