Can Ya Help A Brotha Out?
+ Reply to Thread

This is a discussion on Can Ya Help A Brotha Out? within the Engine Modifications forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; i just bought a 2012 impreza wrx 5 door. im about to put a new exhaust system on it. but ...

i just bought a 2012 impreza wrx 5 door. im about to put a new exhaust system on it. but is it better to put a 3" pipe or 2.5" inch pipe? someone told me i would lose HP if i got 3". Can Ya Help A Brotha Out?

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Good news, everyone! xxxxxxxAnub1s's Avatar
    I Support ClubWRX
    What kind of exhaust system? Axelback, catback, turboback? Replacing the entire turbo-back section requires tuning, catback and axelback are just noise makers. If you're not replacing the downpipe, the diameter doesn't matter much at all, so go with whatever you like best and fits your budget.

Whoever told you that 3" piping decreases HP output doesn't know much about turbocharged cars, I'll say that much.
    Cody
    Hawk-Eye Alliance #727 N.E.R.D #255.255.255.0

Your nighttime volunteer of near-useless information.
    Good news, everyone!

more air-flow = more hp. It sounds like you are just getting a catback, so you should pick up about 8-10 hp from that... If you are looking at anything less than a catback don't waste your money. Get a manual boost control and a flash instead for bigger gains.

Re: Can Ya Help A Brotha Out?

Quote Originally Posted by Anub1s View Post
    What kind of exhaust system? Axelback, catback, turboback? Replacing the entire turbo-back section requires tuning, catback and axelback are just noise makers. If you're not replacing the downpipe, the diameter doesn't matter much at all, so go with whatever you like best and fits your budget.

Whoever told you that 3" piping decreases HP output doesn't know much about turbocharged cars, I'll say that much.
    This ^

Quote Originally Posted by fridaythe13th View Post
    more air-flow = more hp. It sounds like you are just getting a catback, so you should pick up about 8-10 hp from that... If you are looking at anything less than a catback don't waste your money. Get a manual boost control and a flash instead for bigger gains.
    Yea wut?? :what:

Where do you get 8-10 hp from?...

What's wrong with an axelback? A catback gives you no hp, just noise, which can be achieved by just an axelback.

Where on earth did you get the mod path of mbc and tune as first mods????

OP, please don't listen to this guy ^

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Tapatalk 2
    --Anthony 2011 DGM WRX stg2+sf intake WTFtuned \_(ツ)_/

Official Subie owner as of 01/10/11
    Stink Eye Mob #87

Bye bye Bimmer
    Hellooo '11 REX

I Support ClubWRX

Quote Originally Posted by fridaythe13th View Post
    We must change your silly EVO ways.
    GTA:O ClubWRX Crew

My "Build" Thread!

2006 WRX TR
    Hawk-Eye Alliance #1856...ssshhh don't tell anyone!

Quote Originally Posted by Anub1s View Post
    If you're not replacing the downpipe, the diameter doesn't matter much at all, so go with whatever you like best and fits your budget.
    Yeah, mix and match on exhaust diameter sizes without changing anything doesn't really get you any gains. If all you had to do it make it bigger for "more air-flow" we'd all be rocking 6" diameter.

easy there NX ha. basic mods where I come from are a turbo back, MBC and a tune

friday13th, don't take this as rude or anything personal, but these are so completely different cars than what you come from. Take some time and read up on what mods to do, and how these cars like to be modded (as odd as that sounds lol). With Subarus there's a right and very wrong way to do things.
    --Anthony 2011 DGM WRX stg2+sf intake WTFtuned \_(ツ)_/

Official Subie owner as of 01/10/11
    Stink Eye Mob #87

Bye bye Bimmer
    Hellooo '11 REX

oh yea dude no offense taken... I was actually just reading up on COBB's website and it looks like a turboback and a tune is what they recommend as well. It looks like the AccessPort for you guys takes care of the boost control from what I can tell. I was just thinking most aftermarket exhausts/ downpipes are 3 inch anyway, so if the OP had any real intentions of gaining HP a 2.5 inch or axelback would probably not be the best way to start modding.

Adding any type of exhaust post the axle or cat will only create the boxer rumble. Screwing with anything beyond the cat, including the Up Pipe or down pipe will require the ecu to be tuned. The problem is that adding a bigger exhaust does not make it increase horsepower, only when removing the cats or getting a high flow turboback does the horsepower increase considerably. The Subi is still contrained due to the cats.

I Support ClubWRX
    An up pipe does not require a tune.

Inscreased exhaust Φ will not reduce output or torque.

A different exhaust will only require a tune on newer cars.

A catback or axleback will not increase output.

The fastest Subarus ever made, the cars that made Subaru famous, all had catalytic converters.

EDIT: When I say Φ above I really mean ⌀, but I don't know from keyboards, sorry.
    Last edited by SD_GR; 09-21-2012 at 01:47 PM.
    WRX Info Links, Courtesy TheJ
    Man is a brute.... If you're cruel to him, he respects and fears you. If you're kind to him, he plucks your eyes out. Alexis Zorbas
    I lied. I cheated. I bribed men to cover the crimes of other men. I am an accessory to murder. But the most damning thing of all... I think I can live with it. And if I had to do it all over again - I would. Benjamin Sisko
    DISCLAIMER: Opinions expressed are the author's alone and are inherently worthless.

Admiral Ackbar the 1st mycologist's Avatar
    I Support ClubWRX
    ^That.
    "From a little spark may burst a mighty flame." - Dante
    "The stitch is lost unless the thread is knotted." - Italian proverb

Okay thanks a lot guys. ya i was talking about a borla catback exhaust (I saw a 2.5" and a 3" downpipe and was wondering what one would be better). What would the optimal set up be for power increases?

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by noobguy
    Okay thanks a lot guys. ya i was talking about a borla catback exhaust (I saw a 2.5" and a 3" downpipe and was wondering what one would be better). What would the optimal set up be for power increases?
    The only 2.5" downpipe I know of is Cobb, and that tapers at the downpipe/catback joint. Honestly, until you modify your car to the point where buying a new downpipe doesn't matter, don't worry about it. Instead, worry more about what the catback you intend to buy is setup for; if it's setup for a 2.5" donut flange, buy a 2.5" downpipe (or buy a 2.5"/3" adapter); otherwise, buy a 3".
    2005 WRX STi (Mods | Virtual Dyno)

Resident Tuner @ WTF Tuning

"Never trust anything that bleeds for a week and lives ..."

UNYSOC

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.