2002 wrx first mods..which setup??

This is a discussion on 2002 wrx first mods..which setup?? within the Engine Modifications forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; So I have a few options for first mods on my WRX. I was thinking, catless HKS uppipe, catless downpipe ...

So I have a few options for first mods on my WRX.

I was thinking, catless HKS uppipe, catless downpipe , AEM cold air intake (previous owner gave me it, filter looks almost brand new), and ofcourse a tune..

DO you think i should add a Borla Hush catback into the mix, used one for around 250...

Or will the exhaust not make much of a difference from the stock exhaust?

Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated..

And if any of yall know good affordable tuners in San Diego or SD county let me know

-Gabe
    email: liveratherthanexist@yahoo.com

619 972 9884 text me if you have any info..thanks

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Iintake is kinda pointless, but if you have it and got it for free, why not. The list of mods seems to be pretty good.

As far as the cat-back goes, that's up to you. It's just a noise maker. So, do you want the car louder, or no?

Before doing all that, I'd just make sure it's all up to date on service and such.
    --Anthony 2011 DGM WRX stg2+sf intake WTFtuned \_(ツ)_/

Official Subie owner as of 01/10/11
    Stink Eye Mob #87

Bye bye Bimmer
    Hellooo '11 REX

I Support ClubWRX

I would sell the intake and buy an up pipe and down pipe more reasonably priced than HK$. I'd try to keep the stock muffler for (no second) looks.

I'd either skip the tune and fix CELs mechanically or use the money from the sold intake towards a new map, maybe even by mail. You can't smog a car with a CEL.

Either way all this will make the car illegal anywhere in the US.
    WRX Info Links, Courtesy TheJ
    The world breaks everyone and afterward many are strong in the broken places. Ernest Hemingway
    I lied. I cheated. I bribed men to cover the crimes of other men. I am an accessory to murder. But the most damning thing of all... I think I can live with it. And if I had to do it all over again - I would. Benjamin Sisko
    DISCLAIMER: Opinions expressed are the author's alone and are inherently worthless.

Quote Originally Posted by SD_GR View Post
    I would sell the intake and buy an up pipe and down pipe more reasonably priced than HK$. I'd try to keep the stock muffler for (no second) looks.

I'd either skip the tune and fix CELs mechanically or use the money from the sold intake towards a new map, maybe even by mail. You can't smog a car with a CEL.

Either way all this will make the car illegal anywhere in the US.
    Very solid points.
    --Anthony 2011 DGM WRX stg2+sf intake WTFtuned \_(ツ)_/

Official Subie owner as of 01/10/11
    Stink Eye Mob #87

Bye bye Bimmer
    Hellooo '11 REX

ClubWRX.net Vendor adam@kronosperformance's Avatar
    I Support ClubWRX
    If you're not tuning locally, first get an Accessport. It'll make your life easier. PM me for a good price.
    ClubWRX.net's #1 Vendor! - www.kronosperformance.com - Call/Text 732-742-8837 |
    AIM Screenname - KronosParts | GoogleTalk - sales@kronosperformance.com | Military Discount
    Kronos has Special Pricings on Process West & Agency Power!
    CONTACT US DIRECTLY FOR SPECIALS AND PROMOTIONS

Yeah i got an offer for 180 for the AEM cold air intake ...

I found a used HKS uppipe for 60 bucks shipped, id stil need to buy gaskets and the screws for it though..
    its painted with heat paint or something ? idk but its black

downpipe..i dont know an affordable brand or if i should even buy it new or used..

and yeah ima roll with the stock catback, dont care about the extra sound enough to blow that cash

I guess instead of paying for a quick tune multiple times, then ill just get an AP v2 and load the stage 2 map ?

how much HP am i looking to gain then?

sorry about all the questions..

I Support ClubWRX
    If you buy a commercial product such as the AP, read the map notes and contact the vendor and/or maker directly for any/all questions about what to expect in terms of cost vs. increased output. Judge the answers as well as the product itself. If the answers aren't satisfying, accurate, or quick enough I'd have a thought or two before $ changes hands.

If you can buy used, I'd say do so. Even though salty air creates surface problems once in a while, CA is one of the best places around as far as metal longevity in my view.
    WRX Info Links, Courtesy TheJ
    The world breaks everyone and afterward many are strong in the broken places. Ernest Hemingway
    I lied. I cheated. I bribed men to cover the crimes of other men. I am an accessory to murder. But the most damning thing of all... I think I can live with it. And if I had to do it all over again - I would. Benjamin Sisko
    DISCLAIMER: Opinions expressed are the author's alone and are inherently worthless.