need advice
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

This is a discussion on need advice within the Engine Modifications forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; I'm getting ready to upgrade my turbo to a atp gtx 3071. I've already ordered it, and have that, fuel ...

need advice

I'm getting ready to upgrade my turbo to a atp gtx 3071. I've already ordered it, and have that, fuel upgrades, and new headers waiting to be installed.

after some talk yesterday in the chat, it was recommended that i wait to do the upgrade until after i upgrade my engine.

What is the chance that the stock engine will blow on this turbo if i run low boost? will usually be on e85 as well.

Thanks.

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I Support ClubWRX
    Pretty much guaranteed
    2005 WRX STi (Mods | Virtual Dyno)

Resident Tuner @ WTF Tuning, LLC

"Never trust anything that bleeds for a week and lives ..."

UNYSOC

what do you consider "low" boost?

As long as you have the supporting mods in the fuel system I dont see where it would be any different. Now, you know with this beast of a turbo "low" boost will be less than the stage levels you are accustomed to with the factory turbo. Flow is the reason.. even at lower levels you're still going to be shoving a lot more air into the car. You'll also be matching that with fuel and more of both of those makes more bang. More bang=more power. I say run it till it pops but that might not be a great Idea if what pops damages the other components you want to keep.

wouldn't hurt to build the bottom before loading the top.. but if you're conservative with boost/timing you should be fine for now.
    OBP 2010 5dr *traded*
    SWP 2013 FRS
    My name is Shawn, I'm a Devout Practicalist and I'm addicted to flat4's
    This page has had 1,666 visits
    SUCH IS MANGO!

zax
    I Support ClubWRX I Support ClubWRX

Re: need advice

Well Shawn then what's the benefit for Will installing the larger turbo if the only outcome is Lag? My recommendation is to build the bottom end or trade the turbo for something a little more mild.

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Tapatalk 2
    2015 CWP WRX STi ... But how did I get roped back into an EJ motor?!
    Zax's utterly unimaginably stock 2015 STi build thread
    Zax's Shaggin' Wagon Build Thread Now tuned for 99% pure Unicorn Jizz!

Zach | Moderator -- Mid-Atlantic States, Tech & Modifying & General Repairs
    Rollin' with the Bugeye Mafia #302 | N.E.R.D. Subject Zero
    Facebook me here

Your Mid-A local board: http://www.clubwrx.net/forums/mid-atlantic-states/

well i probably wont have the money for a built short block for at least a year.

going to be sad sitting on all these parts.

guess i'll just buy the girl a ring instead..... i hope my car understands.

I Support ClubWRX
    So.... I have kind of a different opinion....

keep the turbo. It's similar to mine, and a righteous beast. Use pump fuel instead of E85. 2 things kill engines... power, and detonation. Get a safe daily driver tune on pump fuel with that turbo, and you'll still be able to hit 310-350whp at 18-19psi. Then you have a fun driver with more power... but you're not in the 370-450 range which would be wayyy too much power. It's still a lot of power for the stock engine, but you'll be a lot safer than the E85 tune as long as there is not knock.
    Kevin
    Sinister's Blowoff Valve FAQ
    WRX Gas Mileage FAQ
    Sinister's Progress Thread - 430whp 429wtq - Sold
    Firearms Enthusiasts Thread

The Sheriff's Star at the bottom left corner rates a user's reputation.
    If you found a user's post to be helpful or quite the opposite, please make it known to them by clicking the Star!

Get a Mustang. They come with 415hp already.
    The Hawk-Eye Alliance #90|The Blobeye Syndicate #0|The Stink-Eye Mob #0|N.E.R.D. Founding Member & #3
    2012 Lightning Red WRX Sedan Stock...for now Soon to be OpenSource tuned by: Mattypants @ WTF Tuning
    "If I have 10 ice cubes and you have 11 giraffes, how many pancakes can fit on the roof? Purple, because aliens donít wear hats" -Ying

Interesting.

Keep the opinions coming.

I was only kidding about the Mushtang.

Put a block on a credit card? Take out a small personal loan to cover the block if you're financially able to pay it down?
    The Hawk-Eye Alliance #90|The Blobeye Syndicate #0|The Stink-Eye Mob #0|N.E.R.D. Founding Member & #3
    2012 Lightning Red WRX Sedan Stock...for now Soon to be OpenSource tuned by: Mattypants @ WTF Tuning
    "If I have 10 ice cubes and you have 11 giraffes, how many pancakes can fit on the roof? Purple, because aliens donít wear hats" -Ying

I just put the turbo on credit card. Plus I need to find a ring for the girl.

Add that to the fact that I'm not working, and I just can't let myself get that far into debt. After the parts, install, tune and ring I'll be about $10k in the hole.

I Support ClubWRX I Support ClubWRX
    You could install the turbo and tune it to 16-17psi on 93 octane with really conservative timing.. I don't see why that would do any more damage to the engine than a smaller turbo (16g) tuned to the max. You'll have the lag without the power, but you could keep the turbo in high efficiency with a really flat torque curve and a uber conservative tune. It should be fine.

Quote Originally Posted by shadowpr View Post
    I just put the turbo on credit card. Plus I need to find a ring for the girl.

Add that to the fact that I'm not working, and I just can't let myself get that far into debt. After the parts, install, tune and ring I'll be about $10k in the hole.
    Maybe I am missing something, but I don't see the logic here...

Back to the main topic...While you surely could run a conservative tune on the car, do you really want to put miles on the equipment while not really getting the benefits of it? Granted you wouldn't be running it to its full capability, but you are still putting miles on it. Might be something to toss into the mix of pros/cons.

Quote Originally Posted by 11wrx View Post
    Maybe I am missing something, but I don't see the logic here...
    Because racecar braaaaaaah!

We all love the mod-bug...I took out a small loan from my parents for my coilovers and other replacement goodies to actually make my old worn out car, into a fun daily driver again. The struts are seized, so it needed to get done and I don't have time to be down with a rebuild, so may as well get the next best performance thing...so I'll be paying them back over the next year or so.

ok, i found the built short block that i want. not sure when i'm going to get it, but i have a question.

what else is needed when installing a new short block?

timing belt kit, water pump, oil pump (which one and size?), spark plugs, head gaskets, what else?

Quote Originally Posted by Mikie13 View Post
    Because racecar braaaaaaah!

We all love the mod-bug...I took out a small loan from my parents for my coilovers and other replacement goodies to actually make my old worn out car, into a fun daily driver again. The struts are seized, so it needed to get done and I don't have time to be down with a rebuild, so may as well get the next best performance thing...so I'll be paying them back over the next year or so.
    I don't see anything wrong with that particular situation. My point was more related to the intention to build $10k in debt with NO job. I have seen people attempt this with horrible outcomes. To each their own I suppose.

GL with the build though...should be awesome once complete.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast