What down pipe is this?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

This is a discussion on What down pipe is this? within the Engine Modifications forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; Trying to figure out what down pipe this is, ad says its a 4"....

What down pipe is this?

Trying to figure out what down pipe this is, ad says its a 4".

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I Support ClubWRX
    Well, if you'd looked at the ad where that picture originally came from, you'd see it's a TurboXS 4" downpipe:

[FS][NC] Turbo XS - Up-Pipe - 4" Down-Pipe - NASIOC

Google is a wonderful thing.
    Isaac -- 2003 WRX sedan Stg II - Gave its life for mine 6/2013.
    2007 Outback 3.0R wagon
    Proud owner of a N.E.R.D, Member 1.38×10-23

He who shall be last, shall be sideways and smiling... - Jeremy Clarkson

Actually Mr genius, the ad was on craigslist and the seller says its either Perrin or "Invadia".

At least I know what brand it is now, even with the smartass remark, thanks.

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by Velislide View Post
    Actually Mr genius, the ad was on craigslist and the seller says its either Perrin or "Invadia".

At least I know what brand it is now, even with the smartass remark, thanks.
    You're quite the fiesty one. My orginal comment is still true. That picture you posted is identical to the NASIOC listing. Since that ad was from 2010, I'm guessing the craigslist ad is just the NASIOC reselling the downpipe. You do know you can use pictures in Google image searches, right? It's great for scam-scanning CL ads, to see if they ripped pics off the interwebs.
    2007 Outback 3.0R wagon

Quote Originally Posted by Rambo View Post
    You do know you can use pictures in Google image searches, right? It's great for scam-scanning CL ads, to see if they ripped pics off the interwebs.
    ^^ This

I think it's a flat flanged old school HKS downpipe.
    The Hawk-Eye Alliance #90|The Blobeye Syndicate #0|The Stink-Eye Mob #0|N.E.R.D. Founding Member & #3
    2012 Lightning Red WRX Sedan Stock...for now Soon to be OpenSource tuned by: Mattypants @ WTF Tuning
    "If I have 10 ice cubes and you have 11 giraffes, how many pancakes can fit on the roof? Purple, because aliens don’t wear hats" -Ying

Didnt know you could google scan images. Anyways, I asked in clubwrx.net general cat on the bottom, and after being flamed and called a chode by Zax and whoever else because they all said it wasnt a bellmouth and was garbage, I figured out on my own its a TurboXS Stealthback bellmouth shorty, though Zax still swears up and down its not a bellmouth down pipe. First question I've ever asked on these forums, definitely the last.

http://forums.nasioc.com/forums/show....php?t=1666433

Zach is being an idiot...it's a bellmouth, just obviously a LARGER bellmouth since it's 4inches. Most bellmouths immediately taper to 3inchs after the collector.

It's a TurboXs.
    The Hawk-Eye Alliance #90|The Blobeye Syndicate #0|The Stink-Eye Mob #0|N.E.R.D. Founding Member & #3
    2012 Lightning Red WRX Sedan Stock...for now Soon to be OpenSource tuned by: Mattypants @ WTF Tuning
    "If I have 10 ice cubes and you have 11 giraffes, how many pancakes can fit on the roof? Purple, because aliens don’t wear hats" -Ying

Awesome, thanks. So 75$ would be a pretty good deal then? I'll have to go pick it up asap.

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by Velislide View Post
    Didnt know you could google scan images. Anyways, I asked in clubwrx.net general cat on the bottom, and after being flamed and called a chode by Zax and whoever else because they all said it wasnt a bellmouth and was garbage, I figured out on my own its a TurboXS Stealthback bellmouth shorty, though Zax still swears up and down its not a bellmouth down pipe. First question I've ever asked on these forums, definitely the last.

FS: (GA) TurboXS Stealth back for 02-07 WRX & STI (Downpipe + Racepipe + Midpipe) - NASIOC
    Really? I can't get chat at work, so I had no idea. It is most definitely a bellmouth downpipe, not sure what Zach is smoking, but it must be the good stuff...

That said, Zach probably mentioned the wall thickness, which is a valid point. You'll notice on more expensive downpipes (such as Cobb's, and Invidia too I think), the collector right at the turbo is a cast part. The problem with this type of pipe is that it's just a bent tube, and that means the wall thickness around the bends is going to be thinner than the straight sections. This means unfortunately that the downpipe is weakest right where the hottest gases are. A cast collector is really the best way to get around this problem as you can ensure uniform tube thickness all the way through the bend.

For $75, it should be fine. TurboXS makes good parts, but just realize that this design is probably one of the weakest out there with the swollen pipe (giggity), and who knows how many miles are on it.
    2007 Outback 3.0R wagon

I Support ClubWRX I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by Rambo View Post
    That said, Zach probably mentioned the wall thickness, which is a valid point. You'll notice on more expensive downpipes (such as Cobb's, and Invidia too I think), the collector right at the turbo is a cast part. The problem with this type of pipe is that it's just a bent tube, and that means the wall thickness around the bends is going to be thinner than the straight sections. This means unfortunately that the downpipe is weakest right where the hottest gases are. A cast collector is really the best way to get around this problem as you can ensure uniform tube thickness all the way through the bend.

When TurboXS did the redesign converting to the cast collector I called and asked them about it. Their answer as to why they changed designs was that it was simply cheaper to cast that part and weld the rest on. They said performance was identical.. and I've never seen one break (except for mine that was crushed by the axle).

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by MainFrame View Post
    They said performance was identical.. and I've never seen one break (except for mine that was crushed by the axle).
    Oh I'm sure the performance is the same, and yeah, I haven't heard of one breaking either, just pointing out previous arguements against the bent tube designs. I guess I'm skeptical of used downpipes in general, just don't know what sort of abuse they've endured. That's weird that casting would be cheaper. Large production volumes, I guess.
    2007 Outback 3.0R wagon

I Support ClubWRX
    I have never heard of any problems with any downpipe other than an occasional flange weld cracking, or some cheap ebay pipe not fitting correctly on initial fitment.

I'd say you're fine to buy it there velislide
    Kevin
    Sinister's Blowoff Valve FAQ
    WRX Gas Mileage FAQ
    Sinister's Progress Thread - 430whp 429wtq - Sold
    Firearms Enthusiasts Thread

The Sheriff's Star at the bottom left corner rates a user's reputation.
    If you found a user's post to be helpful or quite the opposite, please make it known to them by clicking the Star!

Remember the other links I posted that you'd need the CBE connector pipe as well...so don't count on throwing that thing on and it automatically working...(connector pipe averaged around $100 from a google search)

Also from some research, TurboXS stopped making that design and went to a newer, smaller diameter collector and 3inch design due to that one supposedly creating too much turbulence. I'd honestly wait to go find an Invidia or something used for only $150 or so.

Admiral Ackbar the 1st mycologist's Avatar
    I Support ClubWRX
    Thread cleaned - folks need to try to be courteous in chat (no idea what went on there though) and especially don't let it spill out here.
    "From a little spark may burst a mighty flame." - Dante
    "The stitch is lost unless the thread is knotted." - Italian proverb

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast