Protune VS not having a tune?
+ Reply to Thread

This is a discussion on Protune VS not having a tune? within the Engine Modifications forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; I've almost got enough money saved for my tune although my tuner wants a deposit of around 0 I think ...

Protune VS not having a tune?

I've almost got enough money saved for my tune although my tuner wants a deposit of around $150 I think he said I'm almost there just $200 short for the initial tune that doesn't include the deposit. Anyway I ordered a catless dp and a catless up pipe about a month ago haven't installed it yet cuz I wanted to get it tuned my question is a tune really necessary for a 02 wrx? If not what will I be missing out on without the tune? If I was to just slap on the catless dp and up pipe would I be slacking on whp? What I want when I install this dp and up pipe is noticeable gains in whp that fun feeling we all felt when we weren't used to stock WHP (If you know what I mean kinda hard to explain) Basically I just want a REAL noticeable gain in power. If slapping on the dp and uppipe without a tune wont do that I heard it will gain anywhere up to 50whp from a tbe exhaust is that with a tune?

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I Support ClubWRX
    What shop?
    2005 WRX STi (Mods | Virtual Dyno)

Resident Tuner @ WTF Tuning

"Never trust anything that bleeds for a week and lives ..."

UNYSOC

You absolutely need some kind of a tune whether it be Protune or even getting an Accessport and utilizing an off the shelf map. Without any kind of ECU remapping you might not even see any gains from what I have read. With the TBE and and Accessport OTS map my 2003 gained about 50whp. A Protune will add even more. It will be like night and day.
    2012 Black WRX Premium
    2003 wrb WRX - Cobb Stage 2

The 2002 WRX is actually able to run a DP without a tune and be ok. You just won't get the benefits from it as much as if you were tuned. It just isn't recommended...so ultimately, you should get that tune.
    The Hawk-Eye Alliance #90|The Blobeye Syndicate #0|The Stink-Eye Mob #0|N.E.R.D. Founding Member & #3
    2012 Lightning Red WRX Sedan
    ProcessWest TMIC Cobb SF Intake w/airbox Invidia Catless Downpipe Invidia Q300 Catback Kartboy Short Shifter
    OpenSource tuned by: Matty @ WTF Tuning

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by frenziedcage View Post
    I've almost got enough money saved for my tune although my tuner wants a deposit of around $150 I think he said I'm almost there just $200 short for the initial tune that doesn't include the deposit. Anyway I ordered a catless dp and a catless up pipe about a month ago haven't installed it yet cuz I wanted to get it tuned my question is a tune really necessary for a 02 wrx?
    No.

If not what will I be missing out on without the tune?
    Power, and you'd have two CELs that you'd need to deal with mechanically. This is feasible; search for CEL fixes.

If I was to just slap on the catless dp and up pipe would I be slacking on whp?
    Yes. You'd generate more output but not the most possible.

What I want when I install this dp and up pipe is noticeable gains in whp that fun feeling we all felt when we weren't used to stock WHP (If you know what I mean kinda hard to explain) Basically I just want a REAL noticeable gain in power.
    The output will increase even without a new map.

If slapping on the dp and uppipe without a tune wont do that I heard it will gain anywhere up to 50whp from a tbe exhaust is that with a tune?
    I don't know if this is a question or a statement or both, sorry.
    WRX Info Links, Courtesy TheJ
    Man is a brute.... If you're cruel to him, he respects and fears you. If you're kind to him, he plucks your eyes out. Alexis Zorbas
    I lied. I cheated. I bribed men to cover the crimes of other men. I am an accessory to murder. But the most damning thing of all... I think I can live with it. And if I had to do it all over again - I would. Benjamin Sisko
    DISCLAIMER: Opinions expressed are the author's alone and are inherently worthless.

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.