Header/UpPipe question!!

This is a discussion on Header/UpPipe question!! within the Engine Modifications forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; Ok. So I have a used un-equal header/uppipe combo and I am wanting to know if I should install this ...

Header/UpPipe question!!

Ok. So I have a used un-equal header/uppipe combo and I am wanting to know if I should install this or sell and just go with a new up pipe... What are the pros to having a header over the stock manifold? I am new to this world and appreciate any info I can get! Thanks so much!
    Seth-

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I Support ClubWRX
    Depending on the header, you can net some gains with proper tuning, but if you're just going to be running a base map (e.g., Cobb), the only thing you gain by it are a potential leak and less space in your garage when you store your OE manifolds.
    2005 WRX STi (Mods | Virtual Dyno)

Resident Tuner @ WTF Tuning, LLC

"Never trust anything that bleeds for a week and lives ..."

UNYSOC

zax
    I Support ClubWRX I Support ClubWRX
    You can install the UP without tuning for the car. The Header will require a tune. What brand did you purchase? This ultimately comes down to the primary size, and if the primaries are suited to the turbo installed on your car. For example, larger primaries will hurt the spool of your turbo the case of the stock turbo, hurt power output.
    2015 CWP WRX STi ... But how did I get roped back into an EJ motor?!
    Zax's utterly unimaginably stock 2015 STi build thread
    Zax's Shaggin' Wagon Build Thread Now tuned for 99% pure Unicorn Jizz!

Zach | Moderator -- Mid-Atlantic States, Tech & Modifying & General Repairs
    Rollin' with the Bugeye Mafia #302 | N.E.R.D. Subject Zero
    Facebook me here

Your Mid-A local board: http://www.clubwrx.net/forums/mid-atlantic-states/

Quote Originally Posted by EJ257 View Post
    Depending on the header, you can net some gains with proper tuning, but if you're just going to be running a base map (e.g., Cobb), the only thing you gain by it are a potential leak and less space in your garage when you store your OE manifolds.
    Thanks. Yeah thats what I was kinda figuring... I dont want to go with any big maps with this car. Prob just sell and do the up pipe. :0)

Quote Originally Posted by zax View Post
    You can install the UP without tuning for the car. The Header will require a tune. What brand did you purchase? This ultimately comes down to the primary size, and if the primaries are suited to the turbo installed on your car. For example, larger primaries will hurt the spool of your turbo the case of the stock turbo, hurt power output.
    I'm not sure of the brand... I thought I had to tune after replacing the up pipe. Thats good to know. I need to tune once I replace the downpipe though right? I think I am going to ditch the header idea. Thanks!

I Support ClubWRX

Header/UpPipe question!!

If your headlamps are round you don't have to tune for up or down pipes. Each will generate a CEL though (that you can deal with using separate fixes; search) and neither will yield the highest gains possible.

For the header I would tune though.
    WRX Info Links, Courtesy TheJ
    The world breaks everyone and afterward many are strong in the broken places. Ernest Hemingway
    I lied. I cheated. I bribed men to cover the crimes of other men. I am an accessory to murder. But the most damning thing of all... I think I can live with it. And if I had to do it all over again - I would. Benjamin Sisko
    DISCLAIMER: Opinions expressed are the author's alone and are inherently worthless.