Tactrix

This is a discussion on Tactrix within the Engine Modifications forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; I've been looking to buy a Cobb AP for a few weeks now. Someone has recently brought to my attention ...

Tactrix

I've been looking to buy a Cobb AP for a few weeks now. Someone has recently brought to my attention the other option of using a Tactrix cable. I read up on it but am still unsure why this is the less popular method of tuning. Can someone give me the advantages/disadvantages of using the Tactrix compared to the AP?
    - 2011 WRB STI

Cobb stage II tune ~ Invidia TBE * Cobb Intake

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Re: Tactrix

Biggest issue is that you'll need a laptop to flash and log. Think fast and furious with the lap to riding shotgun.

To the tuners is a little more work for them since they won't have "live tuning" abilities.

Posted from a fone.

tactrix vs ap

tactrix is device you will need a laptop and loogging its compatible i think with all wrx's and is technicly a custom tune so you have more access to your cars ecu and generally more power (if you know what you are doing) note if you are tuning yourself its alot of time and effort and logs you have to do this is called an open source tune

ap - the access port only works with usdm so here in australia i cant use it but i do know abit about it the acces port is alot simpler to use wich are just base maps from cobb for the parts on your car and bam it on your ecu but note these are base maps every car is diffrent im pretty sure the acess port does custom tuning aswell but dont know someone correct me,you can also get base maps for your tactrix ccable but taxtrix and rom raider give you the freedom out of fine tuning it to your car to squeeze abit more power (once again ap might do the same someone correct me)

ovarall to the person who doesnt know much about tuning i think should go with the ap (usdm only) you can also benifit if you are using e85 for eg if you dont have a e85 pump near you its easier to switch maps bacl to normal feul you can do the same with tactrix but its done if you have speed density but lets not get off track, i think that tactrix is good when you wanna see what your cars doing (logging) and how it behaves but you will need a laptop
    i personaly use tactrix never used cobb ap but hey im 16 yrs and wanna learn how to tune proply ive learnt alot but mind you theres alot of research and time put into a tune, thats why the cobb ap have really good base maps

once again im not a professional consult your tuner for more info im just letting you know what i know :P hope this helped

I Support ClubWRX
    Tactrix cable uses opensource (freeware) software and a laptop to flash maps. You have full run of your ecu to do as you please at an affordable price. But that is a double edged sword; If you don't know the first thing about car ecus, fuel injection, turbo and boost systems and aren't willing to put in the tons of time to learn before you flash, this can be a dangerous option. There are many premade maps available using tactrix, but its an "owner beware" situation. and many tactrix users will recommend you datalog your car for a while post flash to make sure everything is ok.

Cobb AP, is a commercially available off the shelf solution from a trusted Subaru tuner with awesome customer service. It consists of a handheld programmer about the size of a smart phone. The programmer comes loaded with all kinds of fancy things that allows you to do 90% of what the tactrix can do but without the need for a laptop. It comes preloaded with maps, allows for map downloads from anyone, can read/reset fault codes. etc etc, and best part...It is a supported and warranted solution. If you have a question, help is a phone call away. Now that Access Tuner race is free, Cobb includes the software to make your own maps on your PC too. This soultion is more pricey but requires less of your time.
    2014 Ford Fiesta ST

06 WRX, HAWKEYE # 001 <T-boned and sold>

COILOVER TABLE
    TURBO TABLE

I Support ClubWRX
    2005 WRX STi (Mods | Virtual Dyno)

Resident Tuner @ WTF Tuning, LLC

"Never trust anything that bleeds for a week and lives ..."

UNYSOC