AP Stage 1 Map Gains?
+ Reply to Thread

This is a discussion on AP Stage 1 Map Gains? within the Engine Modifications forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; As you can tell I am rather new to this forum, I just got my 2011 WRB Hatch a couple ...

AP Stage 1 Map Gains?

As you can tell I am rather new to this forum, I just got my 2011 WRB Hatch a couple months back. Anyways I love my car to death but I keep reading how much better my car will run with a stage 1 map over the stock map. I notice stock the power band is rather violent, which makes it seem faster but the lag seems a bit ridiculous. Anyways, I don't know if I want to spend the $600 for the AP. I know cobb advertised +8.5% HP / +10% ft/lb gains on a stock 91 stage 1 map, but this seems kinda high to me. That is around a 22hp / 25 ft-lb gain. So pretty much I am just wondering if there is anyone who knows from experience if there is really a noticeable difference between stock and the stage 1 91 map. Also I am considering getting an intake with the AP and was wondering if I would get noticable gains with it. Just looking for some advice. Any feedback is appreciated thanks!
    - 2011 WRB WRX Premium Hatch

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I Support ClubWRX I Support ClubWRX
    It's a noticeable difference, probably pretty close to what they're advertising. As far as the intake, look at the maps they have for intakes and if the gains look like they're worth it to you then get one, but be sure to run the correct map for the intake. From what I remember they only have OTS maps for two different intakes? I could look on their web site, but I'm too lazy right now.

I Support ClubWRX
    It's a different driving experience. A S1 map will smooth out the power band, which means you won't have the punch you do on the stock map. It may feel a bit slower as a result, but if you compare dyno plots, you'll see that you have a good bit more area under the curve.

The Cobb maps don't tune their intake maps for power, but you should see slightly better response (which isn't shown in a WOT dyno plot), and with a custom tune, you should see some power. At StageII levels, a custom tune with an intake should net you in the 10whp range. The injectors are somewhat of a limiting factor, however; upgrading them can net you some great gains up top:
    2011 Subaru STI stage 2 plus intake. Before/After intake test. - NASIOC

That test is on an STI, but you have a turbo that flows a similar CFM, so the gains would be comparable for you, as well; you can see probably a 30whp difference where the pull ended.
    2005 WRX STi (Mods | Virtual Dyno)

Resident Tuner @ WTF Tuning

"Never trust anything that bleeds for a week and lives ..."

UNYSOC

Thanks for the info! I also forgot to ask about how gas mileage is affected.
    - 2011 WRB WRX Premium Hatch

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by briancox33
    Thanks for the info! I also forgot to ask about how gas mileage is affected.
    Negligible. The Cobb maps are kept on the rich side (as a safety margin), and makes the boost onset earlier. It may go up a bit on highway driving, may go down (or stay the same) for city driving.
    2005 WRX STi (Mods | Virtual Dyno)

Resident Tuner @ WTF Tuning

"Never trust anything that bleeds for a week and lives ..."

UNYSOC

The ap s1 tune as said completely changes the driving experience. I get 25.5 mpg with my cobb sri and s1 tune boost now starts around 3000 rpm and is a lot smoother but still pulls hard and the sound from the sri is BA

I just got my AP in this morning and just applied the stage 1 tune to my 2011 sti. Dude the results are sick. The response in 1st and 2nd gear are so much smoother and when I got to open it up it was amazing what a simple complete stock stage 1 tune had done. Super sport mode was ridiculously fast. I bought the AP to eventually go stage 2 (and definitly still will), but quite honestly its fast enough for me as is now. Thinking im gonna need a roll cage soon haha. But Totally worth it. I found mine on NASIOC for 425 shipped. Definitly reccomend it.
    - 2011 WRB STI

Cobb stage II tune ~ Invidia TBE * Cobb Intake

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.