Possible mod path

This is a discussion on Possible mod path within the Engine Modifications forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; First off, I have a 2002 WRX wagon with 136,400 miles. It is my daily driver and makes frequent trips ...

Possible mod path

First off, I have a 2002 WRX wagon with 136,400 miles. It is my daily driver and makes frequent trips all over Colorado during the winter and will see some Rally cross and TSD events and the occasional ice race. I do not typically drive my car hard and for the most part it has plenty of power. I live in an area with emissions testing and at this time am not interested in stage 2. I would however like to help my engine breathe as well as possible with the stock turbo back. It currently has:

Gutted stock up-pipe
    stock turboback
    Factory short throw shifter
    snorkus delete
    DIY heat shielding of stock intake up to the inlet
    3 core Mishimoto radiator
    Kartboy botox bolts
    T.I.C. rear diff outrigger bushings (comfort/enthusiast)

My tentative plan seeks to lower pressure drop, protect as much as possible from heatsoak without use of a sprayer, and the fastest spool possible with the stock turbo back and td04. Here is what I have:

Silicone after maf hose
    Silicone turbo inlet
    Silicone Intercooler, Bpv, and TB hoses
    STI top mount with splitter and tilt mod
    3 port EBCS
    Ported and polished Td04
    OpenSource tune with stock boost pressure (with the PnP it should flow slightly more CFM at the same pressure correct?)

I realize that the EBCS may not be entirely necessary, but with my mileage I would like to have that little extra insurance of smooth and precise boost control especially with the PnP turbo. I'm not looking for numbers just a smooth fast spooling map with as much insurance against det. and over boosting I can provide. I keep all my maintenance up to date and like I said rarely push the car hard so I feel that the motor and drive line should be fine with the gains this would give me. Let me know what you guys think and If there is any ideas you have that could help with my goal are gladly welcome. Thanks guys.

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I Support ClubWRX
    The STI TMIC offers no decrease in pressure drop; you need to go aftermarket for that.

The biggest restriction in the intake tract is in the airbox, not the MAF/inlet hoses. Honestly, I wouldn't bother with anything post-MAF unless you've done the intake or you have a tear.

You're "not interested in StageII", yet are budgeting more money to achieve less power / worse response than you would if you just went StageII and swapped back to stock come emissions time. A downpipe install come inspection time should take you no longer than one hour, with a celebratory beer when the job is done.
    2005 WRX STi (Mods | Virtual Dyno)

Resident Tuner @ WTF Tuning, LLC

"Never trust anything that bleeds for a week and lives ..."

UNYSOC

so far you have done good mods for quick spool up the next thing is if your looking for quick sool up and response would be a short ram intake, the sti intercooler is good a bit more responsive over stock (from my expereince) but
    like ej257 said there are alot better tmic out there, make sure your tune is good without a better downpipe your restricting yourself alot if you do go stage 2 you would feel the diffrence