TD05 big 16 g boost

This is a discussion on TD05 big 16 g boost within the Engine Modifications forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; hi guyys i got a quick question i got a TTS TD05 big 16g running 21psi with a mbc it ...

TD05 big 16 g boost

hi guyys i got a quick question
    i got a TTS TD05 big 16g running 21psi with a mbc it does not taper it holds 21 psi till 7300rpm i know use probably havnt heard the brand tts but i got it from my local perfomance shop with warranty and everything ive had it on there for about 4 months now still running strong i love the turbo spools up nice and top end after 5000 rpm it comes on very strong compare to the stock turbo it puts you in your seat :P but how much boost can these go upto as in efficiency range? is 21 psi pushing out really hot hair? (roughly) ive got a sti tmic
    the shop said it can produce 26 - 27 psi mind you this is an internal wastegate but there is no way ill push that much on stock internals

(i know theres not much info but like a EVOIII 16g how much boost is recommend for that ? i know the td04 is good till about 17 psi)

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I Support ClubWRX
    It depends on a lot of different factors.. efficiency of your intercooler, VE of the engine, displacement, etc. No one can just say that X turbo is good for Y amount of boost. A good compressor map will give you an idea of the efficiency range, but that still doesn't account for your particular engine.

I would say the best way to tell is to see where boost increases on the map stop producing significant increases in power. If you raise the boost 1psi and the power doesn't increase more than 7 or 8whp, then you're probably getting out of efficiency and should back it off a bit.

On a big 16g I would probably push it as high as 23psi in the mid range and taper to about 17psi up top. For reference, my VF22 was tuned to 23.5psi and tapered to around 18psi. A td04 can push much more than 17psi efficiently at low rpm on a 2L engine. Donkey ran his up to 22psi or something in the mid range.. although it probably tapered off to 14psi by 7000rpm. I don't remember exactly, but I'm sure he does.

Quote Originally Posted by MainFrame View Post
    It depends on a lot of different factors.. efficiency of your intercooler, VE of the engine, displacement, etc. No one can just say that X turbo is good for Y amount of boost. A good compressor map will give you an idea of the efficiency range, but that still doesn't account for your particular engine.

I would say the best way to tell is to see where boost increases on the map stop producing significant increases in power. If you raise the boost 1psi and the power doesn't increase more than 7 or 8whp, then you're probably getting out of efficiency and should back it off a bit.

On a big 16g I would probably push it as high as 23psi in the mid range and taper to about 17psi up top. For reference, my VF22 was tuned to 23.5psi and tapered to around 18psi. A td04 can push much more than 17psi efficiently at low rpm on a 2L engine. Donkey ran his up to 22psi or something in the mid range.. although it probably tapered off to 14psi by 7000rpm. I don't remember exactly, but I'm sure he does.
    hmmm i understand what you mean and the tapering well this turbo just doesnt taper with a mbc lol :P i also noticed that the wastgate hole before i put it on was pretty small could this be the reason why it also doesnt taper (i have tried 2 mbc's on this turbo)

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by sxcrxy View Post
    i got a TTS TD05 big 16g
    i know use probably havnt heard the brand tts but i got it from my local perfomance shop with warranty and everything
    the shop said it can produce 26 - 27 psi
    Quote Originally Posted by MainFrame
    As Robin mentioned, get a compressor map.

Quote Originally Posted by MainFrame
    Donkey ran his up to 22psi or something in the mid range.. although it probably tapered off to 14psi by 7000rpm. I don't remember exactly, but I'm sure he does.
    Last I knew, he was running 20 in the midrange on his TD04, but he had a good aftermarket TMIC, not either of the OE ones (WRX/STI).
    2005 WRX STi (Mods | Virtual Dyno)

Resident Tuner @ WTF Tuning, LLC

"Never trust anything that bleeds for a week and lives ..."

UNYSOC

Here's a pull of the 16gxt 8cm http://tinyurl.com/9h8xuxp

91 octane
    Hawk-Eye Alliance#8089
    MODS LIST

zax
    I Support ClubWRX I Support ClubWRX
    27 PSI (2.8:1 pressure ratio)

http://t0.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:A...sUdZZoQV99aLHk

I can't find a full-size image.

Edit:

This could be it:

So you would be pushing 380 CFM at 27 PSI with 72% VE
    Last edited by zax; 09-06-2012 at 12:53 PM.
    2015 CWP WRX STi on order ... But how did I get roped back into an EJ motor?!
    Zax' Shaggin' Wagon Build Thread Now tuned for 99% pure Unicorn Jizz!

Zach | Moderator -- Mid-Atlantic States, Tech & Modifying & General Repairs
    The REAL 'WTF Tuning?!' Progenitor
    Rollin' with the Bugeye Mafia #302 | N.E.R.D. Subject Zero | Blobeye Synd. #Tree-Fiddy
    Facebook me here

Your Mid-A local board: http://www.clubwrx.net/forums/mid-atlantic-states/

zax
    I Support ClubWRX I Support ClubWRX
    2015 CWP WRX STi on order ... But how did I get roped back into an EJ motor?!
    Zax' Shaggin' Wagon Build Thread Now tuned for 99% pure Unicorn Jizz!

Zach | Moderator -- Mid-Atlantic States, Tech & Modifying & General Repairs
    The REAL 'WTF Tuning?!' Progenitor
    Rollin' with the Bugeye Mafia #302 | N.E.R.D. Subject Zero | Blobeye Synd. #Tree-Fiddy
    Facebook me here

Your Mid-A local board: http://www.clubwrx.net/forums/mid-atlantic-states/

wow some awsome information here thanks guys helped alot!