Can use some input on planned mods to an 02 bugeye w/ AT

This is a discussion on Can use some input on planned mods to an 02 bugeye w/ AT within the Engine Modifications forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; Hey guys I'm looking for some input the mods I plan to do (once I scrape up the cash).. I'm ...

Question Can use some input on planned mods to an 02 bugeye w/ AT

Hey guys I'm looking for some input the mods I plan to do (once I scrape up the cash)..

I'm the kind of person that likes the plan this stuff way way way in advanced to that when time comes to do the dirty it all goes smoothly.

I recently purchased a 2002 WRX sedan. It's awesome. I used to drive an 04 4runner, I wanted something a bit smaller but I also wanted something AWD since I'm living in new york and the WRX happened to fit the bill. As it sits it's got 95900 miles on the clock. I bought it back in May 2012. So far I've been driving to and from work and school and I just love it. The only thing I've done to it was upgrade the head unit (the stock on from the used car dealer was BUSTED) and add 2x 12inch subs in the trunk (it sounds like overkill but it's what I had in the 4runner I'm probably going to get 1x 12 or maybe a 10 in the future). Aside from that I've put about 1200 miles on it and did a bit of maintenance work into it as well which ill mention later.

What do I use this car for:
    This car is my daily driver. It's not a track car, show car, or race car. I just use it for work and school and some far drives when I head out with my buddies.

What has been DONE to this car?

Well according to the carfax I am the 5th owner and like I said I'm not a huge car enthusiast, YET!!! From looking at it, everything looks stock besides the Seibon Carbon Fiber hood. I'm not a huge fan of the hood, I'd gladly trade someone for their stock hood because the OEM I/C splitter does NOT bolt on to this hood and the scoop looks STI sized, but that is for another forum and another post. So yeah everything LOOKS stock besides the hood.

Since I got the car the only thing I had to do, besides change the audio system, was change spark plugs. I got a CEL which threw a cylinder 1 misfire. I changed all four plugs to NGK BKR7EIX Iridium plugs and swapped the coil pack to another cylinder. After driving for a few days I got a CEL for cylinder 2, I swapped it once more to 3 and I got that misfire code. I ordered a coil pack from my local Subaru dealer and changed out the bad coil pack. A month later I got another CEL for cylinder 4 misfire, I assume the packs might be going back so ill run my troubleshooting steps again for that coil pack. Aside from that I had a hose blow a few days ago and all my coolant leak out. My brother helped and got the hose replaced and filled up some coolant so I could get home (I was at work at that time) he also mentioned the current coolant or whatever was left was looking rusty and to flush asap. So I plan on doing a flush and getting new coolant added (probably again from the Subaru dealer, unless someone suggests another brand of coolant?)

Aside from that I changed the AC Delco battery to a Yellow Top deep cycle battery.

What do I want to DO to this car?

Well it is a 2002 Black WRX with an Automatic Tranny (I WANTED auto this was my choice). I wanted it to be a little quicker, a bit more powerful, and a bit more reliable which is why I was thinking stage 2. I don't need a daily at 375 or 400 HP, I really don't which is why I was considering the following mods: uppipe, downpipe, cat back exhaust, ap tuned, and a newer cold air intake.
    Now I'm not a car person, I'm a computer technician by trade so I know that and electronics very well. This is the first car that I've owned that I wanted to modify like this. I only know of 2 people that own wrx's. I don't know of anyone that owns an STI. The people I know have always thrown the COBB name around. COBB is a name I'm familiar and comfortable with which is why I browse their parts and website constantly and which is why I have the following parts in mind:

COBB AccessPort for engine management
    COBB Cat Back Exhaust
    COBB Catless Uppipe
    COBB Catted Bellmouth Downpipe
    ATI Center Dash pods (not sure what gauges ill need, besides boost of course)
    And any needed gaskets that need to be replaced

I'm not a COBB fan boy or anything like that, I've heard of Grimmspeed, Invidia, TurboXS and such but I've only actually seen COBB parts being used and felt them which is why I have this affinity towards them (which is another reason I'm posting, for INPUT and your OPINIONS!)

One of the reasons I went with the catback and catted DP was because I live in New York and would like emissions to go smoothly and I'm not looking to make 400 or so HP, this is my daily.

So yeah bottom line is I want my daily to be a bit more powerful, fun, and reliable. So after I take care of the coil pack CEL issue, coolant, oil, brakes and all that fun stuff, I'm going to focus on the major mods I mentioned above. So what do you guys think, am I headed in the right direction? Input and tips would be greatly appreciated. Keep in mind I'm coming from owning a truck that I've done NO mods on and my background on vehicles is very limited.

Anyway I will be heading back to read Unabomber's Manifesto on NASIOC, thats the only thing ive been reading through for days. Its very helpful and has been answering alot of questions and it is what got me thinking about stage 2.

The car: 2002 Subaru WRX Mightnight Pearl Black w/ Automatic Transmission.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	image_15.jpeg 
Views:	25 
Size:	152.5 KB 
ID:	107919

Name:	image_14.jpeg 
Views:	24 
Size:	153.9 KB 
ID:	107920

Name:	image_12.jpeg 
Views:	25 
Size:	112.1 KB 
ID:	107921

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I Support ClubWRX
    Where in NY?
    2005 WRX STi (Mods | Virtual Dyno)

Resident Tuner @ WTF Tuning, LLC

"Never trust anything that bleeds for a week and lives ..."

UNYSOC

Quote Originally Posted by EJ257 View Post
    Where in NY?
    Hey, im located in Jamaica Queens, New York.

Talk to Adam from KronosPerformance he'll hook you up. Did for me.

Quote Originally Posted by Terminal Kuz View Post
    Talk to Adam from KronosPerformance he'll hook you up. Did for me.
    Awesome! I checked out their website, i like how they have the stage 1 and stage 2 packages with everything you need to get going, not that other sites dont have that but I like how everything was all together in a bundle like that. Ill talk to their guys and pick their brain a bit when I get some time I guess. I should probably swing by the vendors forums.