WRX Sound comparison to STi

This is a discussion on WRX Sound comparison to STi within the Engine Modifications forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; I drive past this sexy 2005 STi EVERY morning on my way to college. It has this orgasmic rumble to ...

WRX Sound comparison to STi

I drive past this sexy 2005 STi EVERY morning on my way to college. It has this orgasmic rumble to it that I am just drawn to, it's honestly one of the reasons why I like Subaru > Any other imports out there. The STi doesn't have that typical ricer, fart can, weed whacker sound you know? It has a low RUMBLE to it, I'm a big fan of the V8's roar and I gotta say, the 2.5 4 banger Boxer of the STi, is just as lovely sounding, it's so unique

So now here's my questions, I want to buy an Impreza. Either an '02-'03 or '04-'05 WRX. I can't afford an STi so I'll settle for the next best thing Now I am aware that the WRX has a 2.0L instead of the 2.5L that the STi has correct? (I've never owned a Subaru so correct me if I'm wrong I am curious about 2 things.

1. Does the WRX still have the Boxer, horizontally opposed pistons that the STi has? What's the difference between the two? (besides the size lol)
    2. I know that there's obviously a .5L difference in the size of the engine, So would the WRX have more of a weed whacker, fart can sound like the other 4 bangers have? Or will it still have the unique sound that the STi has that I see on my way to college?

I'm also REALLY into adding things to cars What mods should I consider? Obviously I don't want the stock muffler/exhaust right?

Sorry for this weird jumbled post, I was just curious, since there aren't any comparison videos on YouTube/Google search and you guys (usually) own Subaru's so where better to look

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dm-Cnu6TtXU
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5hHvsFqwWsE

Dont always need a comparison video of the both cars in one.

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by Terminal Kuz View Post
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dm-Cnu6TtXU
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5hHvsFqwWsE

Dont always need a comparison video of the both cars in one.
    Soldier? if so one Subby fan to another i just want to say thank you for having the balls to do what ever you do.
    thanks bro.
    Speed has never killed anyone, suddenly becoming stationary… that’s what gets you.

I Support ClubWRX
    1) Yes
    2) The unequal length exhaust manifold is what gives the unique sound. '02-'05 WRX has the same manifold as the '04-07 STI (they're direct swaps).
    2005 WRX STi (Mods | Virtual Dyno)

Resident Tuner @ WTF Tuning, LLC

"Never trust anything that bleeds for a week and lives ..."

UNYSOC

^^^^ Was going to write until i was intrigued by a 600+ whp STI video.

So the WRX can get the same sound as the STi with a little modification?

zax
    I Support ClubWRX I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by MisterNBG View Post
    So the WRX can get the same sound as the STi with a little modification?
    Pretty much. The boxer rumble is the sound of the exhaust pulses interfering and helping your car make less torque (and consequently less power) and increase your turbo lag and boost threshold. Both cars are equally terrible in that department!

The 2.0L had the better exhaust note, IMO. Likely it's do to the smaller Bore:Stroke ratio. But I could be biased.

Also, both cars are 2.5L after 2006.
    2015 CWP WRX STi ... But how did I get roped back into an EJ motor?!
    Zax's utterly unimaginably stock 2015 STi build thread
    Zax's Shaggin' Wagon Build Thread Now tuned for 99% pure Unicorn Jizz!

Zach | Moderator -- Mid-Atlantic States, Tech & Modifying & General Repairs
    Rollin' with the Bugeye Mafia #302 | N.E.R.D. Subject Zero
    Facebook me here

Your Mid-A local board: http://www.clubwrx.net/forums/mid-atlantic-states/

Quote Originally Posted by lashak View Post
    Soldier? if so one Subby fan to another i just want to say thank you for having the balls to do what ever you do.
    thanks bro.
    He's a marine.. a bit more motivated than the average "soldier" (term usually referes to an army member)

I agree with zax on the 2L burble vs the 2.5 .. although I'm not really the guy to ask since I'd prefer quiet (I'm probably running the quietest custom 3" system you'll ever hear on a scoobie) and I want to go ELH when I can cough up the money to do so. Not for sound but for the gains they can provide. Bigger area under the curve is what I want.

The rumble is easy to get. A basic low restriction cat-back exhaust will get you what you want.

..actually n/a impreza's are quite a bit louder than their turbo counterparts. There's no turbo in the way to dampen/break up the exhaust pulse but same applies concerning the cbe.
    OBP 2010 5dr *traded*
    SWP 2013 FRS
    My name is Shawn, I'm a Devout Practicalist and I'm addicted to flat4's
    This page has had 1,666 visits
    SUCH IS MANGO!

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by mangostick View Post
    He's a marine.. a bit more motivated than the average "soldier" (term usually referes to an army member)

I agree with zax on the 2L burble vs the 2.5 .. although I'm not really the guy to ask since I'd prefer quiet (I'm probably running the quietest custom 3" system you'll ever hear on a scoobie) and I want to go ELH when I can cough up the money to do so. Not for sound but for the gains they can provide. Bigger area under the curve is what I want.

The rumble is easy to get. A basic low restriction cat-back exhaust will get you what you want...actually n/a impreza's are quite a bit louder than their turbo counterparts. There's no turbo in the way to dampen/break up the exhaust pulse but same applies concerning the cbe.
    No disrespect was intended "marine"
    Speed has never killed anyone, suddenly becoming stationary… that’s what gets you.

No worries man, i was called a sailor while i was in my service charlies. I just about flipped but then i realized they were foreigners.
    2005 WRX (Silver) SoCal Subie
    Blobeye Syndicate #1093
    http://www.clubwrx.net/forums/builds...al-05-wrx.html - Build Thread
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/34009765@N06/ - For whatever pics i take.
    Mikie13-Spend money on hookers and blow. That's a better intake.