Said I would not do it but I''m going to start modding the STI, few basic questions.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

This is a discussion on Said I would not do it but I''m going to start modding the STI, few basic questions. within the Engine Modifications forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; I have an 07 and this oct I will have had it two years, its my first Subaru and while ...

Said I would not do it but I''m going to start modding the STI, few basic questions.

I have an 07 and this oct I will have had it two years, its my first Subaru and while over the past two yrs Ive gone though various stages of really liking the car to wanting to trade it in for something else. The end result has been that I really do like the car a lot, I think I was taking for granted what I actually had for a long time. But now to the good stuff...

I plan on starting out w/ a short throw b/c I really hate the long sloppy throw of the stock shifter. Is it recommended to also upgrade the front/rear shifter bushings for the best feel? I was planning on going with a Cobb Shifter. After that I plan on getting a Cobb AP and eventually a stage 2 tune once I get a TBE. Basically I want to mod the car to 300 HP to the wheels and seems as though the stage 2 tune and a few other bolt ons gets the trick done ( of course depending on what type of dyno you are on ) but other then that I would like to do some suspension stuff endlinks and swaybars. For the most part I want a modestly modded STI that is quick (er) and handles even better. If there are any other not to expensive mods that will help out power wise or suspension wise then feel free to suggest them, I am open to recommendations. One reason I am not going to go to crazy w/ the car is b/c It has a lifetime warranty as long as I own it from the dealership and If I start doing to much to it then it will void that warranty so I have to keep things somewhat civilized
    2007 WRX STI- Stock 13.8@102

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I Support ClubWRX
    Shifter:
    http://turninconcepts.com/product_in...products_id=85

300whp will not come from a base map like Cobb; you'll need a custom tune. Every dyno will read different, and therefore, will require different modification levels to get there. What dyno you looking to hit that on? A setup like TBE, TMIC, small-diameter ELH (e.g., Perrin), and boost control (EBCS, MBC, or both) can yield a nice, fun DD powerband.

Suspension:
    Tires
    Alignment
    Sways/endlinks
    Last edited by EJ257; 08-27-2012 at 06:21 AM.
    2005 WRX STi (Mods | Virtual Dyno)

Resident Tuner @ WTF Tuning, LLC

"Never trust anything that bleeds for a week and lives ..."

UNYSOC

FMS

Good Morning Venom,

We have the Kartboy STS on sale at the moment and they are just as good as the Cobb STS. You can also pick up the front and rear bushings at the moment too. (If you are sold on the Cobb one I also have them in stock and can quote you a price just PM me.)

One thing to note is once you replace the bushings with stiffer ones you will pick up a wine inside the car that most compare it to having a blower on the engine.

Huge Blow Out on Kartboy Shifters and Pitch Stop mounts for all WRX/STi

Second, for your 07 to hit 300 WHP wont be too hard with what EJ257 recommended. TBE, EBCS & MBC, ELH headers and a protune.
    OPEN 7 Days a week|We match and beat advertised prices and sales|855.447.8288

AOL Instant Messenger: FlatlineMotorsports.mason@gmail.com

Link: Flatline Motorsports Online Store
    Link: Flatline Motorsports Facebook

Thanks EJ and FMS

I wanted to go w/ the cobb stage 2 tune just b/c if I have to bring it back to the dealer for any warranty work I can just put the stock tune back in. How close will the cobb stage 2 tune and a TBE get the STI to 300? You mentioned TMIC, small-diameter ELH ( what is that exactly?) A lot of these terms are still new to me.

I will look into the Kartboy shifter as well, I am not dead set on Cobb I just know they are good quality stuff as Im sure kartboy is to b/c I wanted to do those end links by them anyway. I dont mind the extra noise I have a pro 5.0 shifter with my Tremec 3550 tranmission on my cobra so exta tranny noise is nothing new to me in that aspect. I just wantsomething that has a short throw and crisp clean shifts.

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by Venom351R
    I wanted to go w/ the cobb stage 2 tune just b/c if I have to bring it back to the dealer for any warranty work I can just put the stock tune back in. How close will the cobb stage 2 tune and a TBE get the STI to 300? You mentioned TMIC, small-diameter ELH ( what is that exactly?) A lot of these terms are still new to me.
    How close to 300whp you can get on the Cobb S2 tune is relative; for reference, when I got custom tuned on a Mustang dyno with StageII and other mods, I didn't break 260whp. I've since started tuning myself, and bumped up the power a bit. Regardless, peak values mean next to nothing, anyway. What you want to focus on is area under the curve, and the delta.

TMIC is a top mount intercooler. A quality one will allow you to run a more aggressive tune, with the same margin of safety as the stock one.
    ELH refers to equal-length headers. As long as you don't buy a set with too large of primaries, it should widen your powerband on both ends.
    2005 WRX STi (Mods | Virtual Dyno)

Resident Tuner @ WTF Tuning, LLC

"Never trust anything that bleeds for a week and lives ..."

UNYSOC

Thanks for the suggestions, I'll talk with my dealership when I go in again and see what mods I can do where they will not void my warranty. I would like to get to 300 but not at the expense of loosing the warranty. And yes the peak HP is not as important as the overall curve, I agree.

FMS

They will more than likely tell you anything in front of the cat which means the entire engine. Most I have seen people mod with and still get warranty work done is the Cobb AP and cat back exhaust and that's still not guaranteed. Every dealership is different.
    Last edited by FMS; 08-27-2012 at 08:00 AM.
    OPEN 7 Days a week|We match and beat advertised prices and sales|855.447.8288

AOL Instant Messenger: FlatlineMotorsports.mason@gmail.com

Link: Flatline Motorsports Online Store
    Link: Flatline Motorsports Facebook

Quote Originally Posted by Venom351R View Post
    I wanted to go w/ the cobb stage 2 tune just b/c if I have to bring it back to the dealer for any warranty work I can just put the stock tune back in.
    Just to touch on this for a moment....

You won't exactly be able to do that if you go stg2. First off, the car will run like complete crap on the stock tune if you are stg2, so you're not gonna want to do that. Secondly, if you take the tune off, but leave the stg2 parts, obviously a tech is going to notice a different dp and a huge TMIC. So taking the tune off would be the least of your concerns.

The whole "put the stock tune back on for dealership visits" only really works for stg1, where all the parts that are on the car are stock.
    --Anthony 2011 DGM WRX stg2+sf intake WTFtuned \_(ツ)_/

Official Subie owner as of 01/10/11
    Stink Eye Mob #87

Bye bye Bimmer
    Hellooo '11 REX

Quote Originally Posted by xFalleNx View Post
    Just to touch on this for a moment....

You won't exactly be able to do that if you go stg2. First off, the car will run like complete crap on the stock tune if you are stg2, so you're not gonna want to do that. Secondly, if you take the tune off, but leave the stg2 parts, obviously a tech is going to notice a different dp and a huge TMIC. So taking the tune off would be the least of your concerns.

The whole "put the stock tune back on for dealership visits" only really works for stg1, where all the parts that are on the car are stock.
    well I was thinking that same thing this morn as well bc if you had a TBE and brought it back in they will either know you were running w/ out a stage 2 tune or running a stage 2 tune with it. Either waythey may not look kindly on it. I just thought I had heard that method thrown around before ( not on here ) but thats why I mentioned it but the more I thought about it the more sense it did not make.

Well, technically that method does work.....but only with stg1 (and all stock parts).

Stink Eye Mob #87

Bye bye Bimmer
    Hellooo '11 REX

Quote Originally Posted by FMS View Post
    They will more than likely tell you anything in front of the cat which means the entire engine. Most I have seen people mod with and still get warranty work done is the Cobb AP and cat back exhaust and that's still not guaranteed. Every dealership is different.
    I will deff look into it more or shoot them an e-mail. I'm friends w/ the salesman I bought the car from he had a heavly modded 05 STI so maybe he can give me some insight as well w/ out having to actually ask the shop manager.

Well, technically that method does work.....but only with stg1 (and all stock parts).
    that must have been what it was then, makes sense then.

My advice would be that if that warranty is that important to you, only go stg1 and then add some suspension/brake mods.

Not a bad idea to talk to the salesman I guess, although my experience is that they'll lie and tell you anything you want to hear. There was a story here a while back about a salesman who told someone one thing and then he had an issue when he brought it into service. My advice would be to try to get "in" with one of the techs or service manager and find out how mod friendly they are. When it comes down to it, they're the ones you're going to have to deal with when bringing the car in, not the sales dept.

I still think your best bet would be stg1 + suspension + brake mods.

Stink Eye Mob #87

Bye bye Bimmer
    Hellooo '11 REX

My advice would be that if that warranty is that important to you, only go stg1 and then add some suspension/brake mods.

Not a bad idea to talk to the salesman I guess, although my experience is that they'll lie and tell you anything you want to hear. There was a story here a while back about a salesman who told someone one thing and then he had an issue when he brought it into service. My advice would be to try to get "in" with one of the techs or service manager and find out how mod friendly they are. When it comes down to it, they're the ones you're going to have to deal with when bringing the car in, not the sales dept.

I still think your best bet would be stg1 + suspension + brake mods.
    Thanks

The salesman I bought it from is a friend, I knew him long before I bought the car there and I have seen him numerous times since I have bought the car ( seen him at others friends houses ) so I he would not tell me something that was not true b/c we have talked about mods on it before but it was while ago. I just figured he has knowldege of what cars have come in w/ what mods and what they have kept he warranty with but I just wanted to get a general feel for the situtaion before talking w/ the service deparment reps as well.

Oh, well if it's a friend then you have a man on the inside.

Stink Eye Mob #87

Bye bye Bimmer
    Hellooo '11 REX

hes a good guy, good at selling cars and would not steer me in the wrong direction mod wise. His STI was nasty as hell from what I remember, he took me for a ride in it before and that ride stuck with me for years and pretty much what got me into the seat of this one. I came from the RWD V8 Mustang crowd ( still am apart of it) But I'm at my wits end w/ the Mustang so it gets to sit....for along time...and I'm going to have sme fun w/ the STI and do some Auto X stuff in October.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast