Gutted airbox

This is a discussion on Gutted airbox within the Engine Modifications forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; Hey all, just wondering what thoughts are on gutting my airbox. I'm not looking for gains, just to hear the ...

Gutted airbox

Hey all, just wondering what thoughts are on gutting my airbox. I'm not looking for gains, just to hear the turbo spool and hear the bpv a little. I already have the silencer delete and I still can't really hear anything.

As long as I keep an eye on the filter will it be a big deal? I know posts here say that intakes arent needed until something like 300hp. And some say intakes on these cars are a no no unless you are tuned.

Just wondering if I will run into any problems gutting the bottom half of my airbox. I have an 02 wrx if that makes a difference

Sent from my ADR6350 using Tapatalk 2

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I Support ClubWRX I Support ClubWRX
    What do you mean gutting? It's been a long time since I looked in a stock air box, but from what I remember it was already empty in there..

Quote Originally Posted by MainFrame View Post
    What do you mean gutting? It's been a long time since I looked in a stock air box, but from what I remember it was already empty in there..
    Essentially chopping off the side by the fender for a bigger hole instead of the 3" round hole that's there stock for the silencer.

Just for more noise

Quote Originally Posted by rocklizzard91 View Post
    Hey all, just wondering what thoughts are on gutting my airbox. I'm not looking for gains, just to hear the turbo spool and hear the bpv a little. I already have the silencer delete and I still can't really hear anything.

As long as I keep an eye on the filter will it be a big deal? I know posts here say that intakes arent needed until something like 300hp. And some say intakes on these cars are a no no unless you are tuned.

Just wondering if I will run into any problems gutting the bottom half of my airbox. I have an 02 wrx if that makes a difference

Eric from Torqued Performance told me at the stage 2 level an intake adds 3-5% power ... everyone will have different results. I have an AEM CAI and wasn't going to get one. Eric helped me to change my mind about it definitely adding power.

I also have no idea what you mean about "gutting" the air box... you are going to have the filter right? So how else would you gut it?

Essentially chopping off the side by the fender for a bigger hole instead of the 3" round hole that's there stock for the silencer.

Just for more noise

Sounds more like a potential problem waiting to happen IMO.

Just for more noise

there is no point in making that whole bigger you will feel no gains it might get a little louder , unless you have over 300whp the stock airbox is good uptoo about 300whp , if you really want more air flow best option is a whole new intake

if you really want to mod the stock airbox your best off buying an air duct and from that 3" round hole down to the front of the bumper for cold air (but you might get water into it so becareful were you place it) once again even if you do that you will not feel any diffrence it will just lower your IAT

Quote Originally Posted by Methodical4u View Post
    Eric from Torqued Performance told me at the stage 2 level an intake adds 3-5% power ... everyone will have different results. I have an AEM CAI and wasn't going to get one. Eric helped me to change my mind about it definitely adding power.

I also have no idea what you mean about "gutting" the air box... you are going to have the filter right? So how else would you gut it?
    You still won't feel that on the butt dyno.

Quote Originally Posted by sxcrxy View Post
    there is no point in making that whole bigger you will feel no gains it might get a little louder , unless you have over 300whp the stock airbox is good uptoo about 300whp , if you really want more air flow best option is a whole new intake

if you really want to mod the stock airbox your best off buying an air duct and from that 3" round hole down to the front of the bumper for cold air (but you might get water into it so becareful were you place it) once again even if you do that you will not feel any diffrence it will just lower your IAT
    Agreed.
    The Hawk-Eye Alliance #90|The Blobeye Syndicate #0|The Stink-Eye Mob #0|N.E.R.D. Founding Member & #3
    2012 Lightning Red WRX Sedan Stock...for now Soon to be OpenSource tuned by: Mattypants @ WTF Tuning
    "If I have 10 ice cubes and you have 11 giraffes, how many pancakes can fit on the roof? Purple, because aliens donít wear hats" -Ying