Lightweight Pulley?
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

This is a discussion on Lightweight Pulley? within the Engine Modifications forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; hey guys ive always wondered about lightweight pulleys , i know cobb and grimspeed make them. What are the benefits ...

Lightweight Pulley?

hey guys ive always wondered about lightweight pulleys , i know cobb and grimspeed make them.

What are the benefits of them and ( if ) downsides of having one ?
    Shifting Day n Night in my RedRex

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Less mass that the engine has to work to spin is my guess. I can't imagine there's a lot to be gained there, but then, when you're pushing for every last horse from an engine, every little bit helps. Mostly it's a gimmick and something else for you to buy.
    Last edited by OakFF252; 08-19-2012 at 08:42 PM.

zax
    I Support ClubWRX I Support ClubWRX
    Save your money.
    2015 CWP WRX STi ... But how did I get roped back into an EJ motor?!
    Zax's utterly unimaginably stock 2015 STi build thread
    Zax's Shaggin' Wagon Build Thread Now tuned for 99% pure Unicorn Jizz!

Zach | Moderator -- Mid-Atlantic States, Tech & Modifying & General Repairs
    Rollin' with the Bugeye Mafia #302 | N.E.R.D. Subject Zero
    Facebook me here

Your Mid-A local board: http://www.clubwrx.net/forums/mid-atlantic-states/

I Support ClubWRX
    I don't see a point either and don't find them cost effective honestly. Maybe if it were a gift ok I suppose.
    WRX Info Links, Courtesy TheJ
    Man is a brute.... If you're cruel to him, he respects and fears you. If you're kind to him, he plucks your eyes out. Alexis Zorbas
    I lied. I cheated. I bribed men to cover the crimes of other men. I am an accessory to murder. But the most damning thing of all... I think I can live with it. And if I had to do it all over again - I would. Benjamin Sisko
    DISCLAIMER: Opinions expressed are the author's alone and are inherently worthless.

Well there aren't really any downsides to it (as long as the pulley is the same diameter as the stock one.) But there aren't any pluses either. At least not until you've done just about everything else, like Oak said. I feel like I wasted my money on mine. It's from Perrin. They claim, like every other brand does, that it quickens throttle response. The only positive thing I can say is that it hasn't screwed anything up. It looks good I guess. Is that worth the money? I don't think so.

I Support ClubWRX
    What other mods do you have? The pulley seems like a waste of money to me.
    T0ny
    2011 WRX
    2012 FXT

The Big 2011/2012 Mod Thread

Ooh,hang on. That is the throb of a turbocharged flat four engine. A sound which,all over the world,heralds the imminent arrival of a moron - JC.

zax
    I have a crank pulley, and here is the only reason why I do:

The OEM crank pulley developed corrosion on the edge of the A/C belt guide. The resulting corrosion caused the A/C belt to wear very prematurely. I removed the pulley an attempted to sand the corrosion, but if you have seen the crank pulley, you'd know that the divots make the pulley very hard to sand correctly to within tolerance. I opted to spend the ~$80 on a Perrin LCP over the $199 listed price for the OEM pulley. I noticed zero performance gain.

Facebook me here

I purchased the Perrin pulley. Personally any time you can lesson stress on a motor when trying to get power every little bit helps. It really isn't that expensive. And compared to the stock pulley weighs a hell of a lot less. It all depends on what you like and what you want. like I said every little bit helps.

It is only a minor mod. Just like a turbo heat shield and the radiator shrouds. It certainly does not do what the manufactures claim except for the less weight mass the engine is turning.

zax
    Quote Originally Posted by Drews187 View Post
    I purchased the Perrin pulley. Personally any time you can lesson stress on a motor when trying to get power every little bit helps. It really isn't that expensive. And compared to the stock pulley weighs a hell of a lot less. It all depends on what you like and what you want. like I said every little bit helps.
    I did a comparo one time. It really doesn't lessen the stress on the motor, I'm not sure where people get this idea... the inertial moment of the pulley contributes to the "flywheeling" effect which resists sudden changes in rotational inertia. Of anything, less flywheeling increases the stress on the motor. Compared to the weight of the total rotational mass (wheels, driveline, Crankshaft, half shafts, transmission input/output shafts etc), the weight reduction accounts for less than 1% of the total rotational mass. The margin for performance increase is so minor, that Dyno error will likely account for a larger change in recorded power output.

EDIT:
    I want to add that likely many believe a a higher rotational moment increases stress on the motor due to the fact that accelerating that flywheel puts the motor in a higher load cell for a short period of time. However, what one has to realize is that the flywheel is simply a device within which to store kinetic energy as potential energy. Therefore, the total WORK performed over any distance the car moves will be identical whether a flywheel is used or is absent.
    Last edited by zax; 08-20-2012 at 09:37 AM.

Facebook me here

I think if you're really looking for a change you should do the light weight flywheel and crank at the same time. I see what you're saying and I agree the crank will not give any noticeable power gains. But think about spinning the stock crank pulley on a shaft and then the light weight one on the same shaft. There will be a noticeable difference between the 2. But like I said I agree with you that if you only do the crank your not really helping much unless you do the flywheel as well. Cause let's face the flywheel weighs a lot more than the pulley

zax
    I think if you're really looking for a change you should do the light weight flywheel and crank at the same time. I see what you're saying and I agree the crank will not give any noticeable power gains. But think about spinning the stock crank pulley on a shaft and then the light weight one on the same shaft. There will be a noticeable difference between the 2. But like I said I agree with you that if you only do the crank your not really helping much unless you do the flywheel as well. Cause let's face the flywheel weighs a lot more than the pulley
    I'm referring to "flywheel" as a device used in mechanics to store kinetic energy, not as the automotive component that is clamped to the clutch.

Facebook me here

This is why I love performance end of auto mechanics. You're always learning something new. I can't really add anything because I'm not very familiar with how inertia works. I mean I get what it means but I need to learn more about it so im not just talking out of my ass. If you know what I mean. The way i see it if you really want something your not wasting money if it is not important to you and your looking for real power gains not just flashy mods then the pulley is a waste of money.

I'll put it to you this way, I have tried out 2 different pullies, one by Agency Power and one by Grimmspeed. The only thing that I noticed is that the engine revved up a bit quicker, but in the process I lost fuel mileage and it felt as though the torque wasn't there at all. In the end I wound up selling both of them and went back to the OEM pulley.
    Patrick
    2002 Subaru WRX Sport Wagon
    Midnight Black Pearl

That was the same thing that I was thinking, change them both at the same time and then maybe some sort of performance gain will be there.
    Patrick
    2002 Subaru WRX Sport Wagon
    Midnight Black Pearl

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.