Newbie question, is this safe?
+ Reply to Thread

This is a discussion on Newbie question, is this safe? within the Engine Modifications forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; I made the quick decision by getting a k & n typhoon intake for my 2010 WRX. I learned quick ...

Newbie question, is this safe?

I made the quick decision by getting a k & n typhoon intake for my 2010 WRX. I learned quick it didnt run quite right, especially without a tune. With more research I realized I may have been running too lean. back to the stock set up I went and runs great.

Anyways, would it be safe to run a replacement k & n filter in the stock intake with a Cobb post MAF hose? Without a tune?

I know I wont get much if any gain, just thought this would make the stock setup a little more efficient. Any thoughts or suggestions? Thanks!
    Last edited by tesla317; 08-19-2012 at 10:53 AM.

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I Support ClubWRX
    Honestly the stock intake system on our cars is pretty good. Rated up to 350 HP if I'm not mistaken. I see no reason to improve upon the intake system until you are going above that level.

Second, oiled filters tend to gunk up MAF's and cause them to send false readings.
    GTA:O ClubWRX Crew

My "Build" Thread!

2006 WRX TR
    Hawk-Eye Alliance #1856...ssshhh don't tell anyone!

I Support ClubWRX
    Ask Cobb directly. Their answer should dictate not only whether you instal their part but also whether you buy any other part from them. Judge them on speed and thoroughness.
    WRX Info Links, Courtesy TheJ
    Man is a brute.... If you're cruel to him, he respects and fears you. If you're kind to him, he plucks your eyes out. Alexis Zorbas
    I lied. I cheated. I bribed men to cover the crimes of other men. I am an accessory to murder. But the most damning thing of all... I think I can live with it. And if I had to do it all over again - I would. Benjamin Sisko
    DISCLAIMER: Opinions expressed are the author's alone and are inherently worthless.

Quote Originally Posted by SD_GR View Post
    Ask Cobb directly. Their answer should dictate not only whether you instal their part but also whether you buy any other part from them. Judge them on speed and thoroughness.
    Well I figure the K & N filter would cause the greatest amount of change, the hose is just smoother than the stock hose.

Can I assume you had a bad experience with Cobb???

i bought the cobb intake and airbox and i love it .
    Shifting Day n Night in my RedRex

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by tesla317 View Post
    Well I figure the K & N filter would cause the greatest amount of change, the hose is just smoother than the stock hose.

Can I assume you had a bad experience with Cobb???
    No.

What you might assume though is that I believe in buying the vendor, not just the product. If they support their products i might support them. If they cannot answer questions thoroughly and quickly they are too busy to have much use for my money, I'd not want to be a bother...

Cobb may be excellent for all I know; the point is, neither one of us knows and since you are shopping, I'd suggest finding out. I'd ask directly if their tubing affects mapping and see what they say before buying or installing, it's the safest approach I think.

I'm just suggesting, nothing more.
    Man is a brute.... If you're cruel to him, he respects and fears you. If you're kind to him, he plucks your eyes out. Alexis Zorbas
    I lied. I cheated. I bribed men to cover the crimes of other men. I am an accessory to murder. But the most damning thing of all... I think I can live with it. And if I had to do it all over again - I would. Benjamin Sisko
    DISCLAIMER: Opinions expressed are the author's alone and are inherently worthless.

Admiral Ackbar the 1st mycologist's Avatar
    I Support ClubWRX
    I don't know of any standard sized turbo inlets or after-MAF hoses that require a tune.

Same is true for the intercooler hoses, which actually make a much better improvement than drop in filters and turbo inlets (assuming the stock one isn't ripped) at least on the earlier years.
    "From a little spark may burst a mighty flame." - Dante
    "The stitch is lost unless the thread is knotted." - Italian proverb

I Support ClubWRX
    The inlets tend to shear and they're such a pain though. Could be the worst of the common mods to instal.

Admiral Ackbar the 1st mycologist's Avatar
    I Support ClubWRX
    Yeah, I had one and was going to do it as preventative - sold it instead. I'm not screwing around with that unless I absolutely must.
    "From a little spark may burst a mighty flame." - Dante
    "The stitch is lost unless the thread is knotted." - Italian proverb

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by SD_GR View Post
    The inlets tend to shear and they're such a pain though. Could be the worst of the common mods to instal.
    I'd argue that the Up pipe is much worse than the inlet.
    Kevin
    Sinister's Blowoff Valve FAQ
    WRX Gas Mileage FAQ
    Sinister's Progress Thread - 430whp 429wtq - Sold
    Firearms Enthusiasts Thread

The Sheriff's Star at the bottom left corner rates a user's reputation.
    If you found a user's post to be helpful or quite the opposite, please make it known to them by clicking the Star!

I ran my K7N typhoon CAI for months before I got the tune done on my 08 wrx and I had no problems. in fact the car ran great. And now that I got my car tuned it runs so smooth and the throttle response is excelent.

I Support ClubWRX
    OP... do you have any way to tune for the intake instead of having to purchase all new stuff?
    Kevin
    WRX Gas Mileage FAQ

If you found a user's post to be helpful or quite the opposite, please make it known to them by clicking the Star!

when I bought the cobb Accessport I downloaded accesstuner race which lets you tune your car yourself. If you are brave enough to go in and play with your ecu. I dont recomend doing this unless you have some experiance with engine management.

I Support ClubWRX
    Tesla... tuning for a MAF is easy as pie, and the instructions from Cobb make it even easier.
    Kevin
    WRX Gas Mileage FAQ

Quote Originally Posted by Sinister View Post
    OP... do you have any way to tune for the intake instead of having to purchase all new stuff?

As of now I don't, probably won't for a while. I've like to get an AccessPort from Cobb but I gotta save up for that. Gotta pay for the car right now lol

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.