Thoughts on the Maddad Whisper Single Tip 2.5
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

This is a discussion on Thoughts on the Maddad Whisper Single Tip 2.5 within the Engine Modifications forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; Guys, Been searching for a nice mild sounding axel back for the WRX for weeks. Don't want anything loud, just ...

Thoughts on the Maddad Whisper Single Tip 2.5

Guys,
    Been searching for a nice mild sounding axel back for the WRX for weeks. Don't want anything loud, just something slightly louder than stock. I think the Maddad Whisper might be it. Looking at getting the 2.5 single tip. Anyone have experience with this axel back? Thx.
    2007 WRX Wagon - Maddad Whisper Dual Tip, Swift Wagon Springs, KYB Excel-G Shocks
    2004 Acura TL - 6 Speed - Stock
    1998 Mustang SVT Cobra Convertible - Modified
    Display of Speed

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Maddad whispers are quality and well built...but tough to find. I'm not sure if they still make them or not.

Also look for Borla Hush and Invidia Q300 if you want something more mellow.
    The Hawk-Eye Alliance #90|The Blobeye Syndicate #0|The Stink-Eye Mob #0|N.E.R.D. Founding Member & #3
    2012 Lightning Red WRX Sedan Stock...for now Soon to be OpenSource tuned by: Mattypants @ WTF Tuning
    "If I have 10 ice cubes and you have 11 giraffes, how many pancakes can fit on the roof? Purple, because aliens donít wear hats" -Ying

Thanks Mikie13. The thing with the Borla, I just don't like the dual tip and prefer the single. Also, from the youtube vids I've seen, the Hush seems a little louder than what Im looking for. So its possible Maddad isn't making that axel back for the 07 WRX anymore?
    2007 WRX Wagon - Maddad Whisper Dual Tip, Swift Wagon Springs, KYB Excel-G Shocks
    Display of Speed

My friend had a Maddad wisper, and it sounded great.

Got my maddad whisper and love it! Opted for the dual tip after all.
    Display of Speed

the Borla is actually really quiet in person. Youtube can be deceiving. Glad you actually found a maddad unit. As Mikey mentioned they're not easy to find.
    OBP 2010 5dr *traded*
    SWP 2013 FRS
    My name is Shawn, I'm a Devout Practicalist and I'm addicted to flat4's
    This page has had 1,666 visits
    SUCH IS MANGO!

I heard that too, and then emailed Rich @ Maddad and he had one in stock ready to ship. I recieved it a week later. I guess I got luck Pricey for an axle back but it's exactly what I was looking for. And I didn't relialize how low the stock unit sat unit I bolted up the maddad. The new muffler sits nicely tucked under the bumper.
    Display of Speed

it looks like a very nice exhaust, but why not go with something 3" to get the full benefit of a turbo for other mods? (assuming you already have them or might get more later). I don't know if any of the quiet systems are even made in 3" honestly, just wondering.
    2012 WRX: TurboXS DP, AEM CAI, TP stage 2 tune

I Support ClubWRX
    My whisper is 3".

It really doesn't matter though unless you do a huge turbo. That decision is based more on what your DP ends with than anything else.
    "From a little spark may burst a mighty flame." - Dante
    "The stitch is lost unless the thread is knotted." - Italian proverb

glad you like it! was going to say check out Cobb's axle back i know they make a nice looking single tip

Quote Originally Posted by mycologist View Post
    My whisper is 3".

It really doesn't matter though unless you do a huge turbo. That decision is based more on what your DP ends with than anything else.
    No, it doesn't matter that much I know. I have seen "claims" from I forgot which exhaust (CBE) it was... Invidia maybe? That there was a 15 hp and 3 tq gain. Now, if that were to the wheels, then it might be worth the price. I don't think I will wind up buying a CBE, but if I do, I will go with a 3" because you just never know when you might get the bug :-)

I Support ClubWRX
    Sounds to me like they put a stage I map on it when they installed the catback to get those numbers.
    "From a little spark may burst a mighty flame." - Dante
    "The stitch is lost unless the thread is knotted." - Italian proverb

Quote Originally Posted by mycologist View Post
    Sounds to me like they put a stage I map on it when they installed the catback to get those numbers.
    I don't know... seems like a lot of money for little gain. Most of the time the first mod or 2 you add will net the biggest "feeling" of power ... depending on what it is. For me... with a DP, a CAI and the stage 2 tune, I am leaning more toward a PW TMIC instead of a CBE. Just seems like once protuned there is more added power and flow to be had.

Quote Originally Posted by Methodical4u View Post
    I don't know... seems like a lot of money for little gain. Most of the time the first mod or 2 you add will net the biggest "feeling" of power ... depending on what it is. For me... with a DP, a CAI and the stage 2 tune, I am leaning more toward a PW TMIC instead of a CBE. Just seems like once protuned there is more added power and flow to be had.
    We have people running near 400whp with the stock STI axlebacks...they really don't make too much of a difference. It just *sounds* faster
    The Hawk-Eye Alliance #90|The Blobeye Syndicate #0|The Stink-Eye Mob #0|N.E.R.D. Founding Member & #3
    2012 Lightning Red WRX Sedan Stock...for now Soon to be OpenSource tuned by: Mattypants @ WTF Tuning
    "If I have 10 ice cubes and you have 11 giraffes, how many pancakes can fit on the roof? Purple, because aliens donít wear hats" -Ying

Quote Originally Posted by Methodical4u View Post
    it looks like a very nice exhaust, but why not go with something 3" to get the full benefit of a turbo for other mods? (assuming you already have them or might get more later). I don't know if any of the quiet systems are even made in 3" honestly, just wondering.
    Nah, I'm not looking to push more horsepower out of this car as its a daily driver. I just wanted to hear a little bit of that sweet boxer sound.
    Last edited by Shake&Bake; 10-17-2012 at 12:26 PM.
    Display of Speed

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast