want a new turbo
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

This is a discussion on want a new turbo within the Engine Modifications forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; i'm looking at a few potential turbos for my upgrade. blouch dom 2.5 xtr, fp green hta, fp red 76hta, ...

want a new turbo

i'm looking at a few potential turbos for my upgrade. blouch dom 2.5 xtr, fp green hta, fp red 76hta, atp 3071, atp 3076.

would like to get to about 420-450whp on mustang dyno using e85.

i'm also concerned about spool since this is still my daily driver.

any opinions?

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I Support ClubWRX
    "Mustang Dyno" doesn't mean anything, as these days, most shops alter their CF to have it read higher to compete with other shops. You need to pick a shop who has a Mustang, that you would be interested in hitting your numbers on (even if it's tuned elsewhere).

That said, sticking with stock location, my recommendation is for either the 1.5XTR (10cm^2 hotside) or the ATP GTX3071. Both of those turbos will put you close/over your power goals, and be an extremely streetable turbo.
    2005 WRX STi (Mods | Virtual Dyno)

Resident Tuner @ WTF Tuning, LLC

"Never trust anything that bleeds for a week and lives ..."

UNYSOC

I Support ClubWRX
    You want 420-450 whp on a daily?! You're gonna need more than a turbo, and a big bank account for a motor rebuild.

I know this isn't what you wanted to hear but, it's all I got.
    Last edited by michaelwfox; 08-07-2012 at 04:10 PM.
    GTA:O ClubWRX Crew

My "Build" Thread!

2006 WRX TR
    Hawk-Eye Alliance #1856...ssshhh don't tell anyone!

i already have an engine build planned. will run the new turbo until the stock engine gives out.

i basically have all other supporting mods already, or planned to go on at the same time as the turbo.

i'm hoping my stock tranny will last. seeing as how i usually baby the car and never launch, i'm hopeful.

I Support ClubWRX I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by shadowpr View Post
    i already have an engine build planned. will run the new turbo until the stock engine gives out.

Keep in mind a blown engine could also ruin your new turbo.. So I'd set aside an extra $2000 in case that happens. That said, the ATP GTX3071 wouldn't be bad. I wouldn't really consider a GT3071 or GT3076 since the GTX wheel is both lighter and more efficient.

Quote Originally Posted by MainFrame View Post
    Keep in mind a blown engine could also ruin your new turbo.. So I'd set aside an extra $2000 in case that happens. That said, the ATP GTX3071 wouldn't be bad. I wouldn't really consider a GT3071 or GT3076 since the GTX wheel is both lighter and more efficient.
    i meant that gtx. forgot to add that.

the thing i like about the atp is the ewg option that i can add right to it.

ATP makes a good turbo.. I mean, they're Garrett CHRAs, so you can't go wrong.

so the gtx 3071 seems to be the favorite here.

why not the 3076?

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by shadowpr

why not the 3076?
    I prefer the 3071 powerband.
    2005 WRX STi (Mods | Virtual Dyno)

Resident Tuner @ WTF Tuning, LLC

"Never trust anything that bleeds for a week and lives ..."

UNYSOC

Quote Originally Posted by shadowpr View Post

why not the 3076?

The 71mm GTX wheel flows considerably more than the older 71mm GT wheel. It flows about as much air as the 76mm GT wheel, but it's lighter so it is more responsive and spools earlier. The flow rate is well matched to the 30r compressor housing.

On the other hand, the 76mm GTX wheel is not able to push that much more air than the 76mm GT wheel. This is because it's reaching the point where the flow is choked off by the 30r housing. While it does out perform the 76mm GT 30r, the gains aren't near as substantial as you see when comparing the 71mm wheels. In my opinion the 76mm GTX wheel is better matched with a 35r housing where it is not choked off. That's the turbo I went with, GTX3576r. It's making the same power as the older GT3582r, but with the smaller diameter and lighter construction if the billet 76mm GTX wheel it is more responsive and spools earlier than a traditional GT3582r.

Quote Originally Posted by EJ257 View Post
    I prefer the 3071 powerband.

Yep.. in general with the GTX3071r power should come on early and hold pretty steady all the way to redline. The GTX3076r should make more peak power, but spool later, and choke more at the top (but should still make more power at redline than the 71).

Of course the stock location turbos will not perform as well as their rotated counterparts in any aspect.. Biggest difference will be top end, a rotated turbo is going to stay in power much better than a stock location turbo because the exhaust configuration of a good rotated setup is going to be less restrictive.

don't we all? lol

Quote Originally Posted by MainFrame View Post
    The 71mm GTX wheel flows considerably more than the older 71mm GT wheel. It flows about as much air as the 76mm GT wheel, but it's lighter so it is more responsive and spools earlier. The flow rate is well matched to the 30r compressor housing.

On the other hand, the 76mm GTX wheel is not able to push that much more air than the 76mm GT wheel. This is because it's reaching the point where the flow is choked off by the 30r housing. While it does out perform the 76mm GT 30r, the gains aren't near as substantial as you see when comparing the 71mm wheels. In my opinion the 76mm GTX wheel is better matched with a 35r housing where it is not choked off. That's the turbo I went with, GTX3576r. It's making the same power as the older GT3582r, but with the smaller diameter and lighter construction if the billet 76mm GTX wheel it is more responsive and spools earlier than a traditional GT3582r.
    When does your 3576 hit full boost?

Also, how would the gtx3071 compare to the fp green hta and red 76hta?

My car isn't put back together yet. I have to wait for my guys to get back from Pikes Peak, assemble, then break in and tune. The only other Subaru I've found running a GTX3576r looks to be hitting full boost around 4800rpm on the dyno.. should be earlier on the street. I'm hoping to get it down to around 4250rpm on the street since I'm running a Tial .82 A/R turbine housing. The Garrett T3 four bolt .82 A/R housing that Gleep is running isn't going to spool as well as my Tial housing, but then again he has dual AVCS heads and my car is non AVCS...

The FP Red 76HTA is basically a stock location Garrett 3076 with a 76mm HTA wheel instead of a GT or GTX wheel. The HTA wheel is billet aluminum, like the GTX wheel and is also designed to be more efficient at higher boost pressures. I don't know how the weight compares between HTA and GTX wheels, but I would guess they're pretty similar. The HTA wheel is slightly smaller than its counterpart GTX wheel, but unfortunately Forced Performance does not release compressor maps for their turbos, so we don't really know how the HTA wheels flow compared to GTX wheels. The design is slightly different.. the GTX wheel has 11 blades, whereas HTA wheels have 7 blades. The main difference I've seen people reporting is that turbos utilizing the GTX wheel are very quiet and turbos with HTA wheels are very loud, like diesel truck turbo spooling loud.

I'm not certain of the HTA wheel in the new Green. If it's the same size as the Green they make for the Evo then it's a 73mm compressor wheel.

Really, without compressor maps on the HTA turbos and no back to back tests comparing them to GTX wheels there's no way to tell which one if going to spool first or make more power. The GTX3071 will spool earlier than the GTX3076 and make less power. The FP Green HTA will spool earlier than the FP Red 76HTA and make less power.

There are a lot of other factors determining spool and power, so it's a toss up. For what it's worth I was going to get a Red 76HTA before I decided to just get it over with and go rotated.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast