Subaru WRX Forum banner

FMIC, when are they needed?

15K views 96 replies 21 participants last post by  Heide264 
#1 ·
Just as the title reads. When are they needed? I've been reading they are only needed when you have a bigger turbo.

#5 ·
No, not IAT. But your intake charge temps could be cooler.

But everything I've listed will also cool your intake charge. A good bar-and-plate intercooler will do a much better job at cooling your intake charge over the OEM tube-and-fin intercooler.

#7 ·
People have run turbos as large as a 35r on TMIC with great success. I would say intended use is probably the biggest factor to consider. The main drawback of a TMIC is heatsoak.. so if you're building a dedicated drag car then FMIC may be a better option. For a daily driver a good TMIC is hard to beat.

#13 ·
My mindset is anything that interferes with the bumper beam is not a good thing. If an FMIC fits without modifications that might compromise crash integrity, then it's just a matter of cost:
- Cost to buy the FMIC and piping
- Cost to figure out how to get everything fitted
- Cost to figure out what has to be moved and/or replaced (intake, dump valve, etc.)
- Cost to swallow to replace all the above when, not if, the car is crashed since the insurance company will pay for what was insured, not what isn't -- unless the owner declares the new parts etc. I suppose

If it's not there, it cannot fail, it cannot compromise the bumper, it cannot cost anything to replace.

#27 ·
I'm glad somebody highlighted the safety item! Personally that's a big one for me. I'm not aware of any FMICs that allow you to keep the bumper/crash brace. The front of your car is the most likely place by far to have an impact and you've just removed one of the most key parts that protects you in a crash. That's not a sacrifice I'd be willing to make! If I went with a FMIC then I'd definitely be welding in some custom tubing as a structural support to replace the OEM crash bar.

The Process West is already so good though as a TMIC that I just don't see the point in going with a FMIC where you introduce lag with all of that piping. I've never seen any really detailed studies on lag and temps with a TMIC versus a FMIC but my personal belief is the pros and cons between a TMIC and FMIC make it at the very least an even competition between the two designs, and since lag to me is the biggest thing I want to limit, the TMIC wins hands down.

#15 ·
Here is a good article to read:
ARE Cooling (Aluminium Radiators & Engineering P/L)

I you just want it for the looks,then buy any old kit. If you want it for performance then there is alittle more involved then just buying any old FMIC kit. The core size/core type,length/dia of charge tubes and your performance goals all come into play. And they don't all install the same either.

#28 ·
teflon_jones said:
I'm glad somebody highlighted the safety item! Personally that's a big one for me. I'm not aware of any FMICs that allow you to keep the bumper/crash brace. The front of your car is the most likely place by far to have an impact and you've just removed one of the most key parts that protects you in a crash. That's not a sacrifice I'd be willing to make! If I went with a FMIC then I'd definitely be welding in some custom tubing as a structural support to replace the OEM crash bar.

The Process West is already so good though as a TMIC that I just don't see the point in going with a FMIC where you introduce lag with all of that piping. I've never seen any really detailed studies on lag and temps with a TMIC versus a FMIC but my personal belief is the pros and cons between a TMIC and FMIC make it at the very least an even competition between the two designs, and since lag to me is the biggest thing I want to limit, the TMIC wins hands down.
Not sure on the newer MYs if any do, but on the previous chassis, the Injen didn't require removal/modification to the bumper beam. That said, the core was limited as a result.

#33 ·
#38 ·
Ahh.. that's a completely different design than the old Spearco. All of my experience is with the old one.

Old:

New:

Process West is based in Australia. There, they have a very good track record. I haven't seen much, if anything in the way of crappy build quality being exported from Australia.

I never said PW wasn't good. If you look at my posts on the subject the PW is always the first one I recommend.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.