FMIC, when are they needed? - Page 3
Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

This is a discussion on FMIC, when are they needed? within the Engine Modifications forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; Originally Posted by shadowpr racer x makes a fmic that allows you to keep your bumper beam. Which uses a ...

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by shadowpr
    racer x makes a fmic that allows you to keep your bumper beam.
    Which uses a TXS knockoff core that XSPower used to sell for $325 for a full kit
    2005 WRX STi (Mods | Virtual Dyno)

Resident Tuner @ WTF Tuning, LLC

"Never trust anything that bleeds for a week and lives ..."

UNYSOC

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

have heard a lot of people are having issues with the spearco.

for that price, just get the pw. it has a proven record.

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by shadowpr View Post
    have heard a lot of people are having issues with the spearco.

for that price, just get the pw. it has a proven record.

Links? I usually throw the name out there because most of the high powered, well thought out TMIC builds I see are running the Spearco.. from what I've seen the Spearco has more of a proven record than PW.

NASIOC - View Single Post - TMIC record?
    P&L Motorsports / JrTuned 05 XTi **UPDATE** 11.1@126 24psi HTA3582 TMIC STOCK MOTOR - NASIOC
    P&L Motorsports 2008 STI GT30r Kit - 495whp on a TMIC - NASIOC
    IAG Performance 08 STI Rotated GT35R with TMIC (pump gas for now) - NASIOC

Bad heat soak on new Spearco TMIC - Page 2 - NASIOC

post 35, 47, 49... and a few more after that.

they make it sound like there was a big issue on 3gwrx. haven't looked though.

Quote Originally Posted by MainFrame View Post
    Links? I usually throw the name out there because most of the high powered, well thought out TMIC builds I see are running the Spearco.. from what I've seen the Spearco has more of a proven record than PW.

NASIOC - View Single Post - TMIC record?
    P&L Motorsports / JrTuned 05 XTi **UPDATE** 11.1@126 24psi HTA3582 TMIC STOCK MOTOR - NASIOC
    P&L Motorsports 2008 STI GT30r Kit - 495whp on a TMIC - NASIOC
    IAG Performance 08 STI Rotated GT35R with TMIC (pump gas for now) - NASIOC
    Process West is based in Australia. There, they have a very good track record. I haven't seen much, if anything in the way of crappy build quality being exported from Australia.
    Patrick
    2002 Subaru WRX Sport Wagon
    Midnight Black Pearl

Now that you guys listed of a couple of them I recall hearing those names before in terms of ones that don't require cutting the crash beam, but I just couldn't think of them when I posted my last comment.

The cheapest TMIC option is to just find a used STI one instead of the stock WRX. The STI IC is a good bit larger than the OEM WRX version, so you will get a definite increase in efficiency and resulting drop in intake charge temps. If you just did that without any other mods I'd be surprised if you could measure more power even on a highly accurate dyno. Maybe you'd get a 0.1% increase average across 10 runs.

If you put a larger turbo on there though I'm sure it would outperform the stock IC, which is why the STI has a larger IC to go along with its larger turbo, higher boost, and resulting rise in air temps.
    Scott
    Past Subies - '11 STI Limited stage 1+ and '04 STi stage 2+
    '13 Wrangler Rubicon - custom front bumper w/12k lb winch & off-road lights, skid plates, diff guards, etc.
    '04 Porsche 911 Turbo GT2 clone 600 HP/TQ
    '77 F-150 heavily modded for off-roading

Quote Originally Posted by teflon_jones View Post
    The cheapest TMIC option is to just find a used STI one instead of the stock WRX.
    No can do man.. the WRX VF52 has a flanged output that isn't in the correct location to run the STI intercooler
    , which is why the STI has a larger IC to go along with its larger turbo, higher boost, and resulting rise in air temps.
    HAHAHAAHAHA... Scott man where are you getting your info??? The VF48 on the STI is (less the outlet casting on the compressor housing) THE SAME TURBO as the VF52 on the WRX.

They're exactly the same in terms of output and efficiency. STI factory tuned for more boost? Yes.. but same turbo.

But I guess it takes a real turbo guy to know that wouldn't it?
    OBP 2010 5dr *traded*
    SWP 2013 FRS
    My name is Shawn, I'm a Devout Practicalist and I'm addicted to flat4's
    This page has had 1,666 visits
    SUCH IS MANGO!

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by shadowpr View Post
    Bad heat soak on new Spearco TMIC - Page 2 - NASIOC

post 35, 47, 49... and a few more after that.

they make it sound like there was a big issue on 3gwrx. haven't looked though.

Ahh.. that's a completely different design than the old Spearco. All of my experience is with the old one.

Old:

New:

Quote Originally Posted by 4WDFrenzy View Post
    Process West is based in Australia. There, they have a very good track record. I haven't seen much, if anything in the way of crappy build quality being exported from Australia.

I never said PW wasn't good. If you look at my posts on the subject the PW is always the first one I recommend.

I just don't see how tmic are as efficient as fmic tho still after all this reading
    A car is only as good as its driver

FMS

Think of it this way, a FMIC has about 6 feet of 3" tubing it needs to pressurize and the intercooler itself before the manifold sees positive pressure from the turbo.

A top mount has very little tubing, and takes very little time to pressurize andfeed positive pressure to the manifold. It also is cooled by cold air from the hood scoop but is more affected by heat soak from the under hood temps while not moving.

Just think about using a leaf blower to fill an inflatable pool with air (your TMIC) then take that same leaf blower and fill up a moon bounce that kids jump in (your FMIC)... which will be ready to be played with first?
    OPEN 7 Days a week|We match and beat advertised prices and sales|855.447.8288

AOL Instant Messenger: FlatlineMotorsports.mason@gmail.com

Link: Flatline Motorsports Online Store
    Link: Flatline Motorsports Facebook

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by FlySense88 View Post
    I just don't see how tmic are as efficient as fmic tho still after all this reading
    I'm an engineer and part of my job is designing fluid systems. Trust me when I say that all of the extra tubing and bends that a FMIC introduces have a large impact on flow restriction. In my line of work, just one or two 90 degree bends often mean the difference between a successful or failed design. Now factor in all of the extra volume that must now be pressurized.

Compare this to a TMIC which has almost no ducting whatsoever, and is paired with an airscoop splitter which is designed to maximize airflow across the intercooler, and you have a very robust and efficient design. You could argue that engine temps have more of an effect on TMICs, and that's true to a certain extent, but there are plenty of measures to combat that as well (increased intercooler surface area, intercooler spray systems, heat shielding, etc).

If someone has all of the dimensions of FMIC tubing, I can use my tools at work to tell you the restrictions. It's pretty easy stuff once you've got the diameters.
    Isaac -- 2003 WRX sedan Stg II - Gave its life for mine 6/2013.
    2007 Outback 3.0R wagon
    Proud owner of a N.E.R.D, Member 1.3810-23

He who shall be last, shall be sideways and smiling... - Jeremy Clarkson

You don't HAVE to use 3'' tubing tho you can use 2.5''.

Maybe that's just with these cars b/c some cars are dyned proven to get more power from a fmic
    A car is only as good as its driver

I Support ClubWRX

Maybe that's just with these cars b/c some cars are dyned proven to get more power from a fmic
    Uh, 2.5" tubing would be even worse as far as restrictions go...
    Isaac -- 2003 WRX sedan Stg II - Gave its life for mine 6/2013.
    2007 Outback 3.0R wagon
    Proud owner of a N.E.R.D, Member 1.3810-23

He who shall be last, shall be sideways and smiling... - Jeremy Clarkson

I Support ClubWRX
    You are still not getting it. You still have a much larger area that need to be pressurized. You are not even taking the FMIC core size into account. Read the link I posted.
    Quote Originally Posted by FlySense88
    Over what? The stock intercooler? Of course it's going to gain more power. How many cars do you know that run a TMIC? Also how much air is moving underneath the car on a dyno? There is a reason why a good dyno tuner will run the car on the street to finalize the tune. Because a dyno does not simulate real world conditions. You would actually benefit more with meth injection than a FMIC.
    Resident Adviser @ WTF Tuning, LLC
    2002 FORESTER S
    1998 FORESTER S

A FMIC will allow you to tune for more peak power because it is better at cooling charge temps. A TMIC will allow you to tune for power lower in the rpm range. It all depends on what you want from your car. If you want higher numbers go FMIC, if you want more usable power, go top mount. This all changes with turbo upgrades and big power.
    Stink eye mob #727
    2011 WRX DGM Hatch, Protuned Stage 1

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast