First step engine mods and added HP

This is a discussion on First step engine mods and added HP within the Engine Modifications forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; Hey everybody so This is mainly me asking for clearifcation on the info I've recently collected. Its also been a ...

First step engine mods and added HP

Hey everybody

so This is mainly me asking for clearifcation on the info I've recently collected. Its also been a while since I've posted anything, working on photos.

So i'm starting on engine mods now and want to start at the basics (obviously) and would like to get as much bang for my buck and with my understanding these typical first 3 engine mods I'm going after are an invidia divorced wastegat DP (10-20 HP+?) an AEM CAI (10-15HP+?) COBB AP (19%-26% HP+?) and Grimmspeed crank pulleys (HP+????)

Any thoughts on these and please any opinion is welcome. the HP+ is also slightly spitballed. Also looking at gauges (i.e. boost controller) but I feel like those are simply to make ur dash look pretty. could be completely wrong or completely right, I have no idea.

Thanks again and hopefully sooner or later I'll post some pictures of my 2010 SWP WRX whenever I get back from my deployment.

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

FMS

Hi Subie Riegs,

You are right on target for your first mods. You can to go with a catted or non catted downpipe made by Invidia. The catted downpipe will eat up a couple horse power however you will have less chance of overboost/boost creep with the AccessPort off the shelf maps.

Here are the two downpipes by Invidia that you are looking for:
    Downpipes - Flatline Motorsports
    We are currently running 5% off on all Invidia products by using voucher "savin12"

The AEM CAI is a great intake and will work great with the Accessport as long as you get the map made for it.

http://flatlineperformancemotorsport...id_product=311
    Short Ram Intakes - Flatline Motorsports

As for the Cobb Accessport, it is a great tool. It will be your number one friend while modding your WRX.
    You can run custom maps with it or the O.T.S. maps but most everyone here will recommend a pro-tune custom map designed specifically for your car and climate.

The GrimmSpeed Electronic Boost control is very nice and is definitely the one to go with. It will really help you control your boost levels compared to the stock one. Flatline Motorsports is also running 5% off on Grimmspeed products right now using the same voucher "savin12".
    Boost Controllers - Flatline Motorsports

As for gauges they do make it easy to make sure everything is doing what its supposed to do. However, its nothing the AccessPort cant monitor if you don't mind keeping it in your car at all times. This being said it can only show one parameter at a time, A/f ratio, oil pressure, boost, etc.

I hope this helps you sir Please feel free to ask any other questions you may have.
    Last edited by FMS; 07-12-2012 at 08:48 PM.
    OPEN 7 Days a week|We match and beat advertised prices and sales|855.447.8288

AOL Instant Messenger: FlatlineMotorsports.mason@gmail.com

Link: Flatline Motorsports Online Store
    Link: Flatline Motorsports Facebook

I Support ClubWRX
    Welcome

Lead Wrench @ WTF Tuning, LLC

I Support ClubWRX
    2005 WRX STi (Mods | Virtual Dyno)

Resident Tuner @ WTF Tuning, LLC

"Never trust anything that bleeds for a week and lives ..."

UNYSOC

Thanks EJ257. Am I even close with my HP gains? per mod?

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by subie_riegs
    Am I even close with my HP gains? per mod?
    The intake and downpipe will be installed in conjunction with a tune. If you're going to be using the Cobb AP, refer to their map notes about power gains from those modifications. If you're going to be dealing with a professional tuner, talk to them about what kind of gains you can expect to see.

There really isn't a power gain from a lightweight pulley. To be honest, I wouldn't bother with one. If your clutch ever goes, buy a LW flywheel instead.
    2005 WRX STi (Mods | Virtual Dyno)

Resident Tuner @ WTF Tuning, LLC

"Never trust anything that bleeds for a week and lives ..."

UNYSOC

FMS

I agree, lightweight pulleys are not that great. x2
    OPEN 7 Days a week|We match and beat advertised prices and sales|855.447.8288

AOL Instant Messenger: FlatlineMotorsports.mason@gmail.com

Link: Flatline Motorsports Online Store
    Link: Flatline Motorsports Facebook