Subaru WRX Forum banner

Goal : 300whp and keep it safe for daily driving!

28K views 36 replies 21 participants last post by  matsayz 
#1 ·
I'm looking to add a few simple mods to increase my 2012 wrx to about 300~, but I also use this car as my daily driver so i dont want too many mods to stress it too much. I dont know if mods decrease the life of the car or anything, like i said im pretty new to this, any help would be greatly appreciated so if you leave a link that I have to read even that would help me.

#2 ·
Downpipe (or full turboback exhaust) + retune = Stage 2. Do that first, decide if you need more and go from there. Maybe add an intake in the mix if you want to spend the money.

#5 ·
On the 09 n later cars a good stageII protune will put you close to the 300whp mark and a little more torque. I suggest upgrading the fuel pump.. but otherwise everything else the factory put there minus the dp and tune.. will get you to 300whp as long as your tuner knows what he's doing.

#6 ·
Why do you suggest upgrading the fuel pump?

I think getting 300 whp from just an exhaust and tune is pretty optimistic. You're more likely to get in the 260-270 range.

#8 ·
You'd be surprised, Scott. There are a number of 2011-2012 WRXs kissing 300whp on stock injectors and turboback exhaust on reputable dynos. I was skeptical at first as well.

#7 ·
Because you can never have enough fuel on demand.

300wtq is definitely attainable and in all honesty that's more important on the street than hp is. Even though 300whp is reachable on a VF48/52

go play with your porsche and leave the little people alone.

#9 ·
Because you can never have enough fuel on demand.

300wtq is definitely attainable and in all honesty that's more important on the street than hp is. Even though 300whp is reachable on a VF48/52
Don't you max out the stock injectors before the fuel pump?

I agree tq is definitely more attainable and useful, but I'd like to see a dyno graph of a 300 whp WRX with only a TBE and tune.

go play with your porsche and leave the little people alone.
:blah2: :stfu: :D
You'd be surprised, Scott. There are a number of 2011-2012 WRXs kissing 300whp on stock injectors and turboback exhaust on reputable dynos. I was skeptical at first as well.
If you consider a high reading Mustang a reputable dyno then I'm sure you can find a number of them.....

Back in the real world though even with a stage 2 STI (which has a bigger turbo, IC and injectors) it's very hard to get 300 whp.

#12 ·
^ 305WHP and most decidedly more than stage 2.

I'm going to add to this that shooting for numbers is kind of a fools errand, not to mention a money pit. Take small steps at a time, add a couple modifications, retune and see how that feels for you. And like I said above, if it isn't enough, do more.

A stage 2 WRX is typically more than enough for your average driver. I'm still at stage 1, thinking about stage 2 soon, after 6 years of owning it. Then again, I put more stock in handling and braking more than I do in straightline silliness.

#13 ·
you will NOT see 300hp out of the stock intercooler and BPV. You may on a higher reading dyno with injectors and a fuel pump but your pushing the limit of the stock tmic and bpv. Even at stage 2 levels most are close to max on injectors and bpv.

#14 ·
Yeah, I gotta agree with most of what is in this thread. Don't try and chase numbers. Butt dyno > any other dyno.

#21 ·
RayfieldsWRX said:
High reading Mustang? Has the world changed since I got tuned...they were always the low-readers before...:bill:
You can alter the CF to make it read higher. This is common because people get hung up on the final numbers rather than area under the curve and HP/TQ deltas

#23 ·
To be honest, I rarely trust a single article published by Import Tuner, but that article is RELATIVELY informative. I just wish that Import Tuner had chosen more respected engine builders (Like MPS) for the article, except of course Crawford Performance.

#24 ·
Not a huge Import Tuner fan myself...but was going by the article..Crawford is a pretty reputible company when it comes to the Subaru. i liked the information given at hand. wasn't AS misleading as most articles.. just some good knowledge for beginner to advanced owner mods. and a lil need to know. i just hate seeing so may people throwing on turboback exhausts and intakes, and then wondering why they are not getting anything from it except a check engine light. Tuning is important when it comes to the subaru turbo family.

#29 ·
You may want to get that checked out.

#32 ·
Screw the dyno! I got the listed mods in my signature and my butt dyno is VERY happy. I don't want to get it dyno'ed at this point to let the "numbers" disappoint me. However, I do plan on getting a new TMIC just so that it can "breathe" a little better. Spoiling my kid and what not.

#33 ·
#34 ·
#36 · (Edited)
wreckingball man said:
Im not sure what you just said but ive heard the same from a lot of people. They go for the high Hp numbers and dont make very "street" drivable tunes. I dont know much about them and wont pretend to.
I'll post a screenshot later...

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.