Subaru WRX Forum banner

Going to dealership for parts to install exhaust, what do I need?

5K views 14 replies 7 participants last post by  Delnari 
#1 ·
So as the title says, I'm going to be going to a dealership in day or 2 to get what i need to install my nameless axleback when it comes. I was told i need new gaskets (someone mentioned OEM, others mentioned it may came with the exhausts?), new hangers? and most likely new bolts?

Any help or advice would be greatly appreciated, can't wait to get these bad boys on!

#2 ·
Any help or advice would be greatly appreciated, can't wait to get these bad boys on!
Don't go to dealership.

The exhaust comes with all the necessary hardware. Reuse the stock bolts. You can reuse the stock hangers.

#5 ·
okay i'll be re-using everything then, but, I don't do rallying, although my friend has some property upstate, and all my other friends have big pickups, so we go up there with the quads and what not, and I can't help but do a few donuts on the wide open field they have (its flat as hell, it used to be a helli-pad)

Are the eruthane hangers worth it? What differences will i notice? exhausts wouldnt wiggle as much, or it will be easier to install?

#6 ·
I think they're just more reliable than the stock hangars. Pretty sure they're bigger and are just made of better material so they can take some abuse. Think about this too, the nameless performance axelback with muffler delete has to weigh less than the stock one with those huge mufflers. (not positive about this, but they are significantly smaller) So if the stock ones can hold up the stock muffler, then it shouldn't have any problem with the nameless performance.

#7 ·
The stock bushings are made of rubber. The aftermarket ones are made of polyurethane which are much more stiffer. They prevent you exhaust tips from moving about too much during very hard cornering & melting the bumper. Its a worthy investment.

#11 ·
I wouldn't bother with any upgraded hangers for an axleback. They're a total waste of money, especially on such a new car where the stock ones are likely to be in like-new condition. I re-used the stock ones and the exhaust moves absolutely zero even on the track. I also wouldn't bother replacing any gaskets or bolts. I never recommend reusing gaskets except on just an axleback since that joint is the least critical one in the exhaust and it's probably not going to leak if you properly torque things.

#12 ·
So I went to order my exhausts last night, but I clearly needed to do a tad bit more research. There are option such as, 3 inch, or 3.5 (I'm guessing this is the width of the exhaust pipes. So theres my first question, what are the results of both the 3 inch and the 3.5?

2. It has a choice of staggered or non staggered. I'm guessing that means if the exhausts are equal on each side, or one is set back. I believe I want them to be equal.

3. It asks if I want single wall or double wall. No idea what that means, I'm guessing it slightly changes the tone of the exhausts?

I'm trying to re-order by tonight so help is greatly appreciated!

#13 ·
Staggered just means the exhaust tips won't line up, one will be farther back than the other (my personal choice). Just take a look at the pics, it's a pretty big difference between the two. I'm sticking to a 3" exhaust, I'm not planning on doing a ton of work to the car, so there is no reason to get a bigger exhaust. To be honest, with the single or double wall, I'm not positive what it means, but I think I'd rather have a double wall than a single, and if you're going with the 3", a single wall isn't even an option. The second my car comes in, it's the first thing I'm ordering. I'm going to keep all the options the same as when you first go to the page with the muffler. I'm doing the muffler delete too, I want that rumble.
2011+ STi/WRX Sedan Quad Tip AxleBack Muffler Delete - Nameless Performance

#15 ·
Duh! The options are straight cut or staggered exhaust tips, the staggered gives the rear a more rounded line as the rear of our cars have a slight curve to them. The inside tips are longer than the outside tips (see pictures on their site). The 3" or 3.5" is not the pipe size but the exhaust tip size; the smaller 3" is like similar to the stock sizing. Single or double wall again refers to the tips only. Single being like the stock ones and the double adding more rounded thicker appearance of the tips.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.