Colorado emission help (buying catless downpipe)

This is a discussion on Colorado emission help (buying catless downpipe) within the Engine Modifications forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; Does anyone know how hard it is to pass emissions in Colorado with only 1 cat and a tune. I ...

Colorado emission help (buying catless downpipe)

Does anyone know how hard it is to pass emissions in Colorado with only 1 cat and a tune. I am planning on getting a catless downpipe and I am moving to Golden next month and when i started to read on the emission laws I got kinda worried. Thanks for any help

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I Support ClubWRX
    If its anything like California's you are not likely to pass. I had the stock 2 CAT exhaust on with a tune, and was waaaay to rich at 2500 RPM.
    2014 Ford Fiesta ST

06 WRX, HAWKEYE # 001 <T-boned and sold>

COILOVER TABLE
    TURBO TABLE

Save the catted downpipe and install for emissions testing, every 2 years I believe. Wait with that until you're here and have the emissions test done. Change tune as needed or just run the stage2 tune with the catted DP for the short time it takes. Mine was with catted DP for the sale, I then installed the cat-less, the tune was for the catless all along. I bought used from dealer. In Golden I think you have to go emissions testing every 2 years. I'm in Col-Springs, no emissions here, for the time being.
    You can't have everything - where would you put it?

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by 06wrx4me View Post
    If its anything like California's you are not likely to pass. I had the stock 2 CAT exhaust on with a tune, and was waaaay to rich at 2500 RPM.
    Give it time though. From 31.12.12 forward our cars will only need an OBD test.

That statement is as true as it is absurd.

It'll likely change -- mark my words -- once everyone can no longer see across the street from the smog once again, and they'll wonder why, and someone will figure out it's because they stopped dyno testing emissions. My only hope is that before that point, internal combustion motors will be well on their way out anyway and we'll have found something better.
    WRX Info Links, Courtesy TheJ
    The world breaks everyone and afterward many are strong in the broken places. Ernest Hemingway
    I lied. I cheated. I bribed men to cover the crimes of other men. I am an accessory to murder. But the most damning thing of all... I think I can live with it. And if I had to do it all over again - I would. Benjamin Sisko
    DISCLAIMER: Opinions expressed are the author's alone and are inherently worthless.

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by SD_GR View Post
    Give it time though. From 31.12.12 forward our cars will only need an OBD test.

That statement is as true as it is absurd.

It'll likely change -- mark my words -- once everyone can no longer see across the street from the smog once again, and they'll wonder why, and someone will figure out it's because they stopped dyno testing emissions. My only hope is that before that point, internal combustion motors will be well on their way out anyway and we'll have found something better.
    Are you serious? This is the only time I will ever have to swap the stock exhaust back on? WTF....where am I?...Texas?
    2014 Ford Fiesta ST

06 WRX, HAWKEYE # 001 <T-boned and sold>

COILOVER TABLE
    TURBO TABLE

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by 06wrx4me View Post
    Are you serious? This is the only time I will ever have to swap the stock exhaust back on? WTF....where am I?...Texas?
    It seems so, yes. Everything made after 2000 will be OBDed from now on (until they wake up, that is). I suspect they believe their own propaganda; so, since they mandated that miraculously 1 in 7 or something like that vehicles will no longer use internal combustion, they in turn went ahead and limited the scope of emissions testing on newer vehicles. I really am scratching my head over all this but it seems it's true.
    WRX Info Links, Courtesy TheJ
    The world breaks everyone and afterward many are strong in the broken places. Ernest Hemingway
    I lied. I cheated. I bribed men to cover the crimes of other men. I am an accessory to murder. But the most damning thing of all... I think I can live with it. And if I had to do it all over again - I would. Benjamin Sisko
    DISCLAIMER: Opinions expressed are the author's alone and are inherently worthless.

You won't pass with a catless DP. I didn't pass even with a high flow aftermarket cat (Cobb), but that was my second time around when I wasn't driving the car much. Most people don't realize that you need to drive a car consistently and a lot if it has a high flow cat if you want to have any luck of passing emissions with it.

What year/model is your car? You shouldn't be running a catless DP anyway in anything that's 2003+ because it introduces the risk of boost creep, detonation, and running lean (i.e. blowing your motor).
    Scott
    Past Subies - '11 STI Limited stage 1+ and '04 STi stage 2+
    '13 Wrangler Rubicon - custom front bumper w/12k lb winch & off-road lights, skid plates, diff guards, etc.
    '04 Porsche 911 Turbo GT2 clone 600 HP/TQ
    '77 F-150 heavily modded for off-roading

Quote Originally Posted by teflon_jones View Post
    You shouldn't be running a catless DP anyway in anything that's 2003+ because it introduces the risk of boost creep, detonation, and running lean (i.e. blowing your motor).
    How is this different from the previous 02 model? Im guessing they started leaning out later models since the 02 runs pig rich...

Quote Originally Posted by SD_GR View Post
    It seems so, yes. Everything made after 2000 will be OBDed from now on
    Does this include CO?

Alot of times they plug in the obd port to check for codes. If you can get it to read with no catalyst under threshold should be good. At least thats how it was in nj and vt. I put in a cat free exhaust manifold and a nut that was the same size as the o2 sensor that put it a bit further out than normal. Worked fine for no code. As for how it will effect the running of the engine on the wrx i am uncertain.
    Stink-Eye Mob #270
    Enjoy your driving.

I Support ClubWRX I Support ClubWRX
    It depends on where in CO you live.. it will either be as easy as going and paying for the inspection, or as difficult as impossible. Many rural counties have no emissions testing at all (to my understanding), so it depends on the requirements of your county. That's why I keep my car registered in a county that does not test emissions.