CNT anybody?
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

This is a discussion on CNT anybody? within the Engine Modifications forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; Im doing some research on exhausts and CNT seems good, full 3", all stainless, even hangers. Does anyone know what ...

Question CNT anybody?

Im doing some research on exhausts and CNT seems good, full 3", all stainless, even hangers. Does anyone know what they sound like. Im trying to find a good deep exhaust that isn't to loud, but not to quite either. Help is appreciated, Thanks

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Just put a cnt catted dp on my gf's 07tr. She has a cobb cbe so cant really comment on the sound, however the part did fit very well and is of good quality. I'd say its comparable to my invidia catted dp without a doubt. It also has two bungs, one for wideband (if/when you choose to install one) and the other for the normal factory o2 sensor.

It also came with new hardware! New nuts and bolts for all connections. A very nice touch.
    Last edited by mangostick; 05-21-2012 at 10:04 AM. Reason: spelling
    OBP 2010 5dr *traded*
    SWP 2013 FRS
    My name is Shawn, I'm a Devout Practicalist and I'm addicted to flat4's
    This page has had 1,666 visits
    SUCH IS MANGO!

Yeah they seem like a legit company just trying to make a name for themselves. I'll have to give them a shot and support the small companies until they prove me wrong. I wish i knew the tone, there are very to no vids on youtube with a full cnt catted exhaust.

I have a local buddy with a full cnt setup on his STI.. its a little loud for me, but I like quiet cars. Its pretty deep though. Sounds good I think. I dont think he had any isntallation issues either come to think of it. Dawn bought hers because of Josh's (sti owner) so I'm thinkin you should be good on taking the gamble. They're nicely made and fit parts, that I can confirm. If you're a member on nasioc his screen name is "floppynoodle" He'd be better able to give you an opinion on the sound.
    OBP 2010 5dr *traded*
    SWP 2013 FRS
    SUCH IS MANGO!

I Support ClubWRX
    The experience I had installing a CNT downpipe wasn't the same as Shawn's. Welds looked crappy, and fitment wasn't good.
    2005 WRX STi (Mods | Virtual Dyno)

Resident Tuner @ WTF Tuning

"Never trust anything that bleeds for a week and lives ..."

UNYSOC

Quote Originally Posted by mangostick View Post
    I have a local buddy with a full cnt setup on his STI.. its a little loud for me, but I like quiet cars. Its pretty deep though. Sounds good I think. I dont think he had any isntallation issues either come to think of it. Dawn bought hers because of Josh's (sti owner) so I'm thinkin you should be good on taking the gamble. They're nicely made and fit parts, that I can confirm. If you're a member on nasioc his screen name is "floppynoodle" He'd be better able to give you an opinion on the sound.
    Im registered now, il have to PM him. Thanks for the help.
    As to EJ257, what was needed to make it better? how'd it sound

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by STIdreamn
    Im registered now, il have to PM him. Thanks for the help.
    As to EJ257, what was needed to make it better? how'd it sound
    It just took a lot of effort to get it fit. He has a Magnaflow catback, and downpipes won't really alter the sound much when compared to other comparable ones.

UNYSOC

Quote Originally Posted by EJ257 View Post
    It just took a lot of effort to get it fit. He has a Magnaflow catback, and downpipes won't really alter the sound much when compared to other comparable ones.
    Okay, il continue looking. Any recommendations for deep not to quite but not to loud tbe setups? Helix, cobb, perrin, invidia? Im not sure. Also looking to keep drone to a minimum
    Thanks

my cnt DP is matted with the stock CBE and I can't really notice a sound difference. Though that's fine for me at the moment.

As for fitment I can a . Potty Mouth .. Potty Mouth .. Potty Mouth .. Potty Mouth .. Potty Mouth . of time of the bottom left bolt (when standing in front of the car). Needed this small ass adjustable wrench to tighten that one. I think I used a total of three different wrenches with different extensions. My buddy with a 05 STi said his DP install was a whoooole bunch easier. But it's on and I feel the POWA so it's all worth it.

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by STIdreamn
    Okay, il continue looking. Any recommendations for deep not to quite but not to loud tbe setups? Helix, cobb, perrin, invidia? Im not sure. Also looking to keep drone to a minimum
    Thanks
    What car?

UNYSOC

Quote Originally Posted by EJ257 View Post
    The experience I had installing a CNT downpipe wasn't the same as Shawn's. Welds looked crappy, and fitment wasn't good.
    I didn't have any issues installing at all.. matter of fact it was the smoothest install I've had yet. Quality was comparable to my Invidia dp that cost me $200 more.

That one nut on the bottom was a bit of a pain, but nothing I've not encountered on other cars before. Try removing a larger than factory turbo from a old 2.3L ford engine. meh.. these cars are CAKE to work on. lol. Here I say this but I'll get back to you guys again when it comes to turbo swap time. Dawn's hands are smaller, likely I'll have her in there gettin those turbo nuts/bolts loose

but yeah seriously that bottom nut was tough. The others were very easy though.
    Last edited by mangostick; 05-21-2012 at 01:42 PM.
    OBP 2010 5dr *traded*
    SWP 2013 FRS
    SUCH IS MANGO!

Is that so, Shawn.

Hi. I'm Dawn.

Anyway, here is a pic (lighting sucks but meh) of the CNT DP preinstallation.

Not that bad. Shawn is right. After going over, with a skeptical eye, the DP that my old roommate bought, I decided to get one for my car. It was a lot better than I had previously expected it to be as, just like so many other Subie owners, I too am a label-ho. I wanted a Cobb but I didn't want to spend Cobb $ because I do have other toys to buy. Anyway, I'm impressed. I like it. The car isn't as loud as it was before is grand considering I live in secondary offense/ticket the soft offender cop paradise. I can get the car inspected anywhere. Annnnd I didn't a bunghole (lol) welded in. As long as the welds hold, the substrate doesn't fall apart, and everything continues to work I'm cool with it.

I had a JNA catback before which is cheap. I sold it to one of the local Subie guys last year when I picked up my Cobb CBE. He still has it and loves it. It survived many NJ snow storms, a few romps in some mud, and my tendency to think my WRX is a baby truck and is holding up well. I'm bringing this up because it was a cheap-as-hell exhaust (cheapest I've seen) and it's still working fine.

Thanks Damaca, I will keep it in mind, but I like labels as well. It will stay on my list.

If you can afford it, then by all means go for it. I wish I could but I have too many hobbies and not enough pay check to support them.

Quote Originally Posted by Damaca View Post
    If you can afford it, then by all means go for it. I wish I could but I have too many hobbies and not enough pay check to support them.
    TELL ME ABOUT IT!! ;P
    I search everyday for some seeds to plant a money tree. So far no luck...

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.