2012 WRX LAGGING - Page 4
+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

This is a discussion on 2012 WRX LAGGING within the Engine Modifications forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; wowowowowowowowowowowowow slow down with all this info. First off get a cobb ap, that crap wont void your warranty, not ...

wowowowowowowowowowowowow slow down with all this info.

First off get a cobb ap, that crap wont void your warranty, not if you dont tell what you did to the service guys. Why? let me tell you why

Your ecu have a thing call the CID or CEV or whatever the hell its called. It is there so that if you ever mess with the ECU, they can tell if you have mess with it. because you have mess with it, the series of numbers will change, thus they know, because all cas that are build are assigned to a specific number, just like your vin.

Now, here is the deal, argue with me all you want but its the truth, ive seen it, with my own eyes. When they read your ecu that number should have numeric and alphabet in there. ie 4d99eff94 as such. Since you are using open source, when you flash that with an open source and tatix cable and computer, you will void your warranty because it will show up to the tech guy as ########, which means its been eff with by open source.

Now the cobb ap. The reason why it cost 600 hamburgers is because they spend a lot of time reverse engineer that crap so you may use it and wont mess up your CIV or CED or whatever they call the series of number that is assigned to your ECU. With that said, when you install your cobb ap, it said saving data. that means its saving your CIV and you can revert to that later when you hit uninstall. Now, you can back up all your data that has been save on that cobb ap via computer. So when you install it, it will assigned a new CIV to your ECU but still save your old stock OEM CIV to the Cobb AP. So when you uninstall, the cobb will flash black your stock map.

cliff notes:
    Open source - denial of warranty because you flash a different map and it will show ECU CIV as ########
    Cobb AP - save your OEM map and CIV so you may unistall and AP will reinstall your orginal CIV on your ECU
    Big difference between 85 bucks cable, vs a 600 bucks reverse engineer AP

As far that the OP who said oh the head technitian told me so.... lol why do you think he told you that? so you wouldnt go home and flash that Cobb ap you just bought. He is a senoir tech because he love his job and he doesnt want to work harder trying to figure out if you flash cobb or not. If i was him, i would tell you the same thing, even though i know its wrong.

Oh, and where do i get my source? the subaru dealership tech, the same friend who ive been effing around with since we were in grade school ....
    So trust me, because i trust brent, my good old bromance friend. NO homo, plus he is married so
    Last edited by oceanwater48; 05-22-2012 at 07:22 PM.

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

^^^oooooorrrrrr. Just flash back to stock with the Tactrix cable before going to the dealership and put a few miles on to re-train the ECU.
    I have a low Reynolds number

TP Stage 1 - 2012 WRX Premium 5-Door SWP
    Pics!

^^^^^ tell me what the dealership said and you dont have to drive around few miles ... just unplug the batteries, plug it back in, turn it on for 10-15 mins, and drive to dealership...

Quote Originally Posted by oceanwater48 View Post
    ^^^^^ tell me what the dealership said and you dont have to drive around few miles ... just unplug the batteries, plug it back in, turn it on for 10-15 mins, and drive to dealership...

You are going to run into issues either way! Lets say you are ONLY Stage 1 with zero mods except for the option of a catback... you could flash back to stock and what you say would make sense with the ecu and you would be able to drive safely on a stock tune.

Now lets say you are anything above a catback (CAI, DP, Stage 2)... once you flash back to stock you will run like crap because you need a tune to support your other mods. So unless you are going to re-install every mod you did back on your car on the side of the road and flash back to stock before you take your car into the dealership to try and get past the fact you have modified your car .... I doubt it.

The point is AND always will be. If you mod your car you will likely void your warrenty claims that could be related to your mods. If you do not want to void your warranty, then dont mod your car.

PERIOD.
    2012 WRX Hatchback ISM - Base Model - STI STS, SPT Boost Gauge, AEM Intake, TP Stage 1 Tune, red illumination kit, cobb shift knob, 20% tint - currently on stock wheels wrapped in Pirelli Winter Carving Edge Tires
    Some cool tidbits to come...

Just go for it, you won't regret it. Get a Torqued Performance map.

Quote Originally Posted by mgmoehn View Post

The point is AND always will be. If you mod your car you will likely void your warrenty claims that could be related to your mods. If you do not want to void your warranty, then dont mod your car.

PERIOD.
    False. Depends on what mods and what dealer you use. Every one is different. Some are mod friendly, some aren't. I had a buddy with a Stage 2 EWG protune setup get a transmission replaced under warranty literally 1k miles before the powertrain was up. He left all mods on.

And why the hell are we bumping a 7 month dead thread anyway?
    The Hawk-Eye Alliance #90|The Blobeye Syndicate #0|The Stink-Eye Mob #0|N.E.R.D. Founding Member & #3
    2012 Lightning Red WRX Sedan
    ProcessWest TMIC Cobb SF Intake w/airbox Invidia Catless Downpipe Invidia Q300 Catback Kartboy Short Shifter
    OpenSource tuned by: Matty @ WTF Tuning

haha ya I was searching the forums for posts related to TP maps and came across this one. I think that all in all it is still a big uncertainty. not everyone has a dealer like your buddies and so on and so forth.
    2012 WRX Hatchback ISM - Base Model - STI STS, SPT Boost Gauge, AEM Intake, TP Stage 1 Tune, red illumination kit, cobb shift knob, 20% tint - currently on stock wheels wrapped in Pirelli Winter Carving Edge Tires
    Some cool tidbits to come...

Quote Originally Posted by mgmoehn View Post
    haha ya I was searching the forums for posts related to TP maps and came across this one. I think that all in all it is still a big uncertainty. not everyone has a dealer like your buddies and so on and so forth.
    Yeah that's true. There are some out there that will try and deny everything possible. Generally speaking though, there aren't many stories of warranties being denied simply at Stage 1 or 2.
    The Hawk-Eye Alliance #90|The Blobeye Syndicate #0|The Stink-Eye Mob #0|N.E.R.D. Founding Member & #3
    2012 Lightning Red WRX Sedan
    ProcessWest TMIC Cobb SF Intake w/airbox Invidia Catless Downpipe Invidia Q300 Catback Kartboy Short Shifter
    OpenSource tuned by: Matty @ WTF Tuning

+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.