2012 WRX LAGGING - Page 3
+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

This is a discussion on 2012 WRX LAGGING within the Engine Modifications forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; Originally Posted by WRXpa Skip the pro-tune. Its only Stage 1. Even basic Stage 2 doesn't warrant a pro-tune. Get ...

Quote Originally Posted by WRXpa View Post
    Skip the pro-tune. Its only Stage 1. Even basic Stage 2 doesn't warrant a pro-tune. Get a Torqued Performance tune. Eric will read your logs and adjust appropriately. The best $85 you'll spend on your car. Period
    But the stage 1/2 is $145.00 wouldnt that be better money spent instead of just buying a stage 1 for $85?

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by MY-WRX View Post
    What about if I was to lower the car I cant see that affecting warranty
    Well the way the warranty works is, you modify something that causes something to break your out of luck. So let's say you only buy springs to lower the car and you blow a strut, well that's on you. Same goes with engine mods, you tune your car and the engine gets a spun rod or something, they could deny your claim.

I'm not saying that's exactly what's gonna happen, I'm saying it COULD happen so be ready.

Skip the pro-tune. Its only Stage 1. Even basic Stage 2 doesn't warrant a pro-tune. Get a Torqued Performance tune. Eric will read your logs and adjust appropriately. The best $85 you'll spend on your car. Period
    I would disagree on that but everyone has their own opinions. Eric does good work but there's a limit to what you can do with an
    etune. Having someone dial in your tune while watching live data will almost always yield better results

JD I am assuming that is your ride in your post pic???? What kind of front lip do you have?
    It was a cheap ebay lip, i have since changed to a cs style cheap ebay lip from baysonr.
    Stink eye mob #727
    2011 WRX DGM Hatch, Protuned Stage 1

So JD you saying to get a cobb AP.... RIGHT?

So JD you saying to get a cobb AP.... RIGHT?
    I would not. It's $600 that would be better spent elsewhere. A tactrix cable is less than $200 new and does the same thing. Then you could do a torqued performance tune if you choose, or go protune, and romraider and ecu flash software is free.
    Stink eye mob #727

JD please provide some links for those items

Thanks and can the ecu be reset by doing this route?

JD please provide some links for those items

Thanks and can the ecu be reset by doing this route?
    Tactrix cable...Tactrix Openport 2.0
    Romraider to download (for logging)...RomRaider - Open Source ECU Tools | RomRaider / Download
    ECU Flash (for flashing your ECU if you are planning on buying an e-tune, like torqued performance)...Download EcuFlash

Yes, you can always flash back to stock. ECU Flash will allow you to save your stock ROM.

Here is all the information you'll ever need, a ton of great info...OPENSOURCE TUNING: Your questions answered here!!! RomRaider + Tactrix
    Last edited by jd92677; 05-19-2012 at 04:14 PM.
    Stink eye mob #727

I Support ClubWRX
    You can flash back but Subaru will be able to tell you flashed the ecu. I found this out yesterday after talking to my dealerships senior mechanic. He explained the process to me but all I got out of it was they take information from the ecu and send it to Subaru to determine if it's been flashed. He also told me to leave the car as it is and to stay away from any mods because of the potential to ruin my engine. He did say a cat back wouldn't hurt.

Yeah I sure they would be able to tell anything you did to the car. JD I dont anything about open source tuning I think a cobb would be better if I were to do it at all. Warranty really worries me.

I Support ClubWRX
    Yeah I sure they would be able to tell anything you did to the car. JD I dont anything about open source tuning I think a cobb would be better if I were to do it at all. Warranty really worries me.
    If it worries you that bad keep it stock. The car is fast just like it is. To need to talk to your dealer and see what they say about modding

A lot of people have the accessPORT (I had one for a while), they are a great piece and super easy to use. Some downsides are they are expensive and the included maps are "one size fits all" so they leave a lot of power on the table. Going protuned, you don't have to buy the equipment (the tuner will have it) and is custom tailored to your car. Either choice is a good one though.

Any way you cut it, if you mod your car, you risk warranty coverage. Even with an accessPORT
    Stink eye mob #727

True.... I think I am gonna wait until 36,00 miles when warranty is over for now I will continue to mod the exterior.

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by jd92677
    I would disagree on that but everyone has their own opinions. Eric does good work but there's a limit to what you can do with an
    etune. Having someone dial in your tune while watching live data will almost always yield better results
    You can get pretty close, with proper monitoring hardware. I'd prefer to have the tuner in the car, personally.

One advantage of a custom dyno tune is that you're not doing repeated WOT high-speed runs on public roadways. There should be a checkup/cleanup on the road afterwards, where you will be doing them, but you can get the tune dialed in pretty well in a controlled environment.
    2005 WRX STi (Mods | Virtual Dyno)

Resident Tuner @ WTF Tuning

"Never trust anything that bleeds for a week and lives ..."

UNYSOC

I wholeheartedly disagree. a Stage 1 protune would be an excellent investment if someone wants to really improve the driveability of the car, without being ready to add parts. You can net gains of up to 15% more whp/wtq or so just by adjusting fuel trim, increasing boost, and toying with the timing. The stock tunes on Subarus are notorious for being crappy and on the lean side, as well as filled with some flat spots. A protune can completely change all of that. I especially would validate a protune at Stage 2 levels. Again, nothing off the shelf can compare to a full dyno and road tune. Everything is tuned specifically and optimally for the DP and whatever parts you have on it. It's not just reading logs and adjusting for that. My Stage 2 protune was the best investment I made on my last STI. Stage 2 levels I was putting down 310whp/330wtq and was capable of a 12.3 quarter mile.

But technically, a TP tune is sort of a protune as it's not just a generic OTS map that everyone uses. You get that level of adjustment necessary for any parts you may have or for climate/altitude. It gets more specific where as the Cobb OTS maps are just maps for everyone. FWIW though, especially for the $85 price tag...I'd take a TP tune using a tactrix cable over a Cobb OTS tune anyway, for price and for the minor level of adjustment you get provided.
    The Hawk-Eye Alliance #90|The Blobeye Syndicate #0|The Stink-Eye Mob #0|N.E.R.D. Founding Member & #3
    2012 Lightning Red WRX Sedan
    ProcessWest TMIC Cobb SF Intake w/airbox Invidia Catless Downpipe Invidia Q300 Catback Kartboy Short Shifter
    OpenSource tuned by: Matty @ WTF Tuning

That's sound advice if you are concerned with the warranty. Look at it this way, you may never need warranty work, but if you do.. it pays to be on the straight n narrow.

I didn't tune mine until 60K mi so warranty was not an issue. I will say though that the ap and tractix/romraider are only interfaces to tune with. Neither has an influence on the quality of tune.

Like any open source software/hardware though there is no support other than web forums and personal opinion for the tractix/romradier route.... its on you to maintain, troubleshoot.. etc. The only advantage is cost savings. If you're computer saavy and can confidently work software/hardware config.. this is a much cheaper alternative.

The Cobb AP isn't cheap, however does come with lifetime support for software and hardware. You get access to their other software products as well as their online forums. This is why its more expensive. They also include ots (off the shelf) mapping for free with the AP as well as being able to access their website to grab other ap maps for popular bolt on mods. These are good enough for most but remember you dont have to use them. You can install an AP and go right to a tuner to have a protune done.

so its purely up to you which interface you choose. Everyone's needs are different. One isn't better than the other performance wise, but they are individualy better or not better for each user depending on needs and useability. Most often, people choose whatever their local tuner prefers. That way they are open to protune when they decide and dont have to change up or give up the interface.
    Last edited by mangostick; 05-21-2012 at 10:00 AM.
    OBP 2010 5dr *traded*
    SWP 2013 FRS
    My name is Shawn, I'm a Devout Practicalist and I'm addicted to flat4's
    This page has had 1,666 visits
    SUCH IS MANGO!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.