For 2008-2012 WRX's only. Post your opinion on your intake experience.

View Poll Results: What type of intake do you have?

Voters
96. You may not vote on this poll
  • APC

0 0%
  • AEM

18 18.75%
  • Cobb

40 41.67%
  • K&N

14 14.58%
  • Cosworth

1 1.04%
  • Perrin

10 10.42%
  • Other (please specify)

13 13.54%
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

This is a discussion on For 2008-2012 WRX's only. Post your opinion on your intake experience. within the Engine Modifications forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; Hey guys, reading some of the posts and the intake debates, I thought I would ask from first hand experience. ...

For 2008-2012 WRX's only. Post your opinion on your intake experience.

Hey guys, reading some of the posts and the intake debates, I thought I would ask from first hand experience. Please post what type of intake you have and what YOU feel like it has done for your car. Not your friends, or cousins friends sister... your own only please.

Include all aspects of your daily driving, mileage, changes negative or postive.

Your intake brand, would you buy it again? Would you just switch instead if you were to get rid of yours. Quality of the part and ease of installation. Butt dyno feel is fine, real dyno charts if you have them would be great also.

Are you stage 1, 2, higher? Did going from stage 1 to 2 make a big difference with the intake? If so... how so?

Protuned or OTS map and if you've had both how did each map feel?
    Last edited by Methodical4u; 04-28-2012 at 01:55 PM.

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I Support ClubWRX
    For opinions to be worth anything, I would limit the scope to hard data from logs. You'll get less responses, but the responses you get will be far more credible.

There's a bias that one will have after dropping $300 on a part for it to make a difference, so they'll be looking for it, sometimes seeing one that isn't really there
    2005 WRX STi (Mods | Virtual Dyno)

Resident Tuner @ WTF Tuning, LLC

"Never trust anything that bleeds for a week and lives ..."

UNYSOC

I have the AEM that I picked up for $160 slightly used and painted it black to match the wrx intake manifold. Pretty easy to install, has a huge dry flow filter so no worries about using too much oil after cleaning. I have the Invidia catted down pipe and Q300 so it's a nice match sound wise. I can barely hear the intake under normal driving conditions but I do drive pretty conservative 95% of the time.

Currently using the Cobb stage 2 AEM map for 93 octane. Nothing major for power gains, car seems to be more responsive while making boost easier with less throttle. I've noticed after being stopped the intake temps drop back down quicker than the stock box did once you get moving. Gas mileage hasn't changed, usually right around 24mpg. I actually just filled up yesterday and checked it. 24.2mpg with the digital readout showing 25.2mpg

For what I paid yes, I'd buy the AEM again.
    2012 WRX ice silver metallic
    Protuned by Agile Auto 315whp/342wtq @ 20.5psi

i have 12 sedan and had tp stage 1 then went stage 1 with the k&N. in a drag race scenario its feels bout the same, but rolling starts or driving speed and getting on it the t. repsonse was better. i have the stock exhaust so this is great for the "fun" factor being able to hear performance. you can hear the bov and the turbo very nicely. not to loud at all. mpg was slighty increased i believe, nothing to brag bout though... all pros no cons, only complaint is you have to pull off the whole intake to clean the filter but just did it yest, took less than 5 min to pull it off. bought mine for 100 bucks used so it was well worth every penny.
    boost is like alcohol, its fun and great in moderation, to much and something's gonna go boom.

U
    Quote Originally Posted by EJ257 View Post
    For opinions to be worth anything, I would limit the scope to hard data from logs. You'll get less responses, but the responses you get will be far more credible.

There's a bias that one will have after dropping $300 on a part for it to make a difference, so they'll be looking for it, sometimes seeing one that isn't really there
    No... you're right... but my purpose was to get opinions ... biased or non biased. People can feel free to admit they are even a cannot of a particular part as well. Its the opinions im after because after a while a few of them are going to stand out. It would be great to have any hard data as well though.

A great person to chime in here would be Eric Mineheart of Torqued Performance. He's a tuner, and IIRC he only tunes '08+ turbo'd Impreza models.

To be on topic though, I'm running the Cobb ram intake with the box. It definitely felt a bit quicker afterwards, and with the tune modified, it was even better feeling. Eric Mineheart did my etune.
    Hawkeye Alliance #1050
    Build Thread
    http://i1108.photobucket.com/albums/...ps665d9b9d.jpg
    Always dirty, never scurred......

Quote Originally Posted by gregroot198521 View Post
    A great person to chime in here would be Eric Mineheart of Torqued Performance. He's a tuner, and IIRC he only tunes '08+ turbo'd Impreza models.

To be on topic though, I'm running the Cobb ram intake with the box. It definitely felt a bit quicker afterwards, and with the tune modified, it was even better feeling. Eric Mineheart did my etune.
    I'd love for Eric to chime in anytime. I don't want this to turn into yet another debate, just simply what intake each person uses and some or all of the info at the beginning of the thread. I just think it will be helpful to everyone to be able to read each persons experiences with their choices.

i think this is a great idea to get real world, butt dyno info rather than 50% saying "your throwing away your money" and other 50% saying no im not. let the guys with the newer cars who have purchased an intake give their exp. rather than "well i read or heard"...
    boost is like alcohol, its fun and great in moderation, to much and something's gonna go boom.

Quote Originally Posted by plasmarex12 View Post
    i think this is a great idea to get real world, butt dyno info rather than 50% saying "your throwing away your money" and other 50% saying no im not. let the guys with the newer cars who have purchased an intake give their exp. rather than "well i read or heard"...
    Thanks my hope... and hopefully people can refrain from arguing about any of it... this is simply based on opinion alone. If someone has numbers, by all means, please do share them ... i'm interested in those as well. I would say at least 50-75% of mods I have decided to buy for my Evo's, my 370z, and my MS3 have been from just getting other peoples info on the subject.

A lot of votes for the Cobb intake so far... voice your opinions about them guys... do you like them? Give us some details.

I love my K&N. I didn't notice too much difference but the sound alone was worth the cost. We all have our reasons.
    12/27/11 - Ordered
    01/16/12 - Received
    2012 WRX Hatch World Rally Blue

I had the Cobb Intake with the Airbox installed on my car on the Stage 1 + SF Intake tune. Had a CEL going so I took it off. Taking out the stock airbox was probably the hardest and most annoying part of the installation. The suction sound of the intake got really old pretty damn fast. It felt more responsive though and my MPGs went up.
    2011 SWP WRX Hatch

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by Amaterasu
    I had the Cobb Intake with the Airbox installed on my car on the Stage 1 + SF Intake tune. Had a CEL going so I took it off. Taking out the stock airbox was probably the hardest and most annoying part of the installation. The suction sound of the intake got really old pretty damn fast. It felt more responsive though and my MPGs went up.
    What CEL?
    2005 WRX STi (Mods | Virtual Dyno)

Resident Tuner @ WTF Tuning, LLC

"Never trust anything that bleeds for a week and lives ..."

UNYSOC

Quote Originally Posted by EJ257 View Post
    What CEL?
    Yeah.. did you ever get a chance to check the code with your ap? Just to make sure it wasn't a vacuum leak or something? Just curious.curious

Pretty surprised by how many Cobb intakes there are. I would have thought AEM would have been king since it's such a big name in intakes.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast