For 2008-2012 WRX's only. Post your opinion on your intake experience. - Page 2

View Poll Results: What type of intake do you have?

Voters
97. You may not vote on this poll
  • APC

0 0%
  • AEM

19 19.59%
  • Cobb

40 41.24%
  • K&N

14 14.43%
  • Cosworth

1 1.03%
  • Perrin

10 10.31%
  • Other (please specify)

13 13.40%
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

This is a discussion on For 2008-2012 WRX's only. Post your opinion on your intake experience. within the Engine Modifications forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; Cobb is also a big name and pretty much the best in the Subaru world. I have the AEM and ...

Cobb is also a big name and pretty much the best in the Subaru world.

I have the AEM and who knows if it gives me more power. It doesn't lose any power.

The key thing is to go with a true CAI and not SRI. You need it isolated from the engine bay heat. Last weekend even the Porsche mechanic doing my tech inspection at the track noticed this and said "It's nice to see an intake done right with it in the fender well."
    Scott
    Past Subies - '11 STI Limited stage 1+ and '04 STi stage 2+
    '13 Wrangler Rubicon - custom front bumper w/12k lb winch & off-road lights, skid plates, diff guards, etc.
    '04 Porsche 911 Turbo GT2 clone 600 HP/TQ
    '77 F-150 heavily modded for off-roading

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by teflon_jones View Post
    Cobb is also a big name and pretty much the best in the Subaru world.

I have the AEM and who knows if it gives me more power. It doesn't lose any power.

The key thing is to go with a true CAI and not SRI. You need it isolated from the engine bay heat. Last weekend even the Porsche mechanic doing my tech inspection at the track noticed this and said "It's nice to see an intake done right with it in the fender well."

I can see why people would pick the Cobb set-up as it does isolate the filter well and probably keeps it cooler than a standard SRI. I also can see why an intake outside of the engine bay completely would help too.

Here is mine. Probably one of the prettier intakes available. HKS Sri with the Kansai service carbon fiber cold air box. The box is set up identical to stock but has a rather large hole where a cai would go.

First off, it's LOUD. Sounds great when in boost. But sounds annoying when it isn't. Whooshing sucking sounds can get annoying.

Didn't notice much of a performance increase until I had Eric Mineheart take a stab at tuning the MAF. Made a huge difference after. Pulls harder all the way to red line on a stage 1 tune. If I were to do it over I would sell the box and intake for an insane profit and go with the cobb Sri and box.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

I Support ClubWRX
    I have the Cobb SF intake with the air box and im happy with it, makes a great sound
    2011 Subaru WRX Premium
    1988 Ford Mustang GT
    2000 Jeep Wrangler TJ

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by RedMed427 View Post

Here is mine. Probably one of the prettier intakes available. HKS Sri with the Kansai service carbon fiber cold air box. The box is set up identical to stock but has a rather large hole where a cai would go.

First off, it's LOUD. Sounds great when in boost. But sounds annoying when it isn't. Whooshing sucking sounds can get annoying.

Didn't notice much of a performance increase until I had Eric Mineheart take a stab at tuning the MAF. Made a huge difference after. Pulls harder all the way to red line on a stage 1 tune. If I were to do it over I would sell the box and intake for an insane profit and go with the cobb Sri and box.

Looks interesting.Haven't seen that before.How much does the setup cost?Any links?
    T0ny
    2011 WRX
    2012 FXT

The Big 2011/2012 Mod Thread

Ooh,hang on. That is the throb of a turbocharged flat four engine. A sound which,all over the world,heralds the imminent arrival of a moron - JC.

Got the box on Japanparts.com

does make the engine bay look nice. So do you feel that after the tune the intake had a lot to do with it pulling better or do you think the stock set-up would have been just as good?

Quote Originally Posted by Methodical4u View Post
    does make the engine bay look nice. So do you feel that after the tune the intake had a lot to do with it pulling better or do you think the stock set-up would have been just as good?
    Eric said he was able to increase the timing a bit more with the intake. He said it will make an even bigger difference when I go stage 2+.

I ran the intake for a few days without a tune and it ran no different than stock, it was just louder.

Very nice clean setup. How much was it for that carbon fiber part? I'm guessing it wasn't cheap! Definitely the cleanest setup I've ever seen.
    Scott
    Past Subies - '11 STI Limited stage 1+ and '04 STi stage 2+
    '13 Wrangler Rubicon - custom front bumper w/12k lb winch & off-road lights, skid plates, diff guards, etc.
    '04 Porsche 911 Turbo GT2 clone 600 HP/TQ
    '77 F-150 heavily modded for off-roading

Quote Originally Posted by teflon_jones View Post
    Very nice clean setup. How much was it for that carbon fiber part? I'm guessing it wasn't cheap! Definitely the cleanest setup I've ever seen.
    I'd really rather not say. It was more than I spent. I could've got two, almost three cobb Sri w/box intakes for what I spent. Not to mention it took 3 months to get here

I Support ClubWRX
    I'd really rather not say. It was more than I spent. I could've got two, almost three cobb Sri w/box intakes for what I spent. Not to mention it took 3 months to get here

looks good though
    2011 Subaru WRX Premium
    1988 Ford Mustang GT
    2000 Jeep Wrangler TJ

Quote Originally Posted by EJ257 View Post
    What CEL?
    Quote Originally Posted by Methodical4u View Post
    Pretty surprised by how many Cobb intakes there are. I would have thought AEM would have been king since it's such a big name in intakes.
    'P0112' code for Intake Air Temperature Circuit Low Input. I had the top of the Air Box pushing against the MAF so every time the car stalled the CEL would show. I only stalled because I was picking up my car from getting new tires put on. The tech lost the wheel lock key, which was outside on the ground about ten feet from my car, and I was too pissed to remember the car was in first. So I took the SF Intake out and put the stock airbox back in. I'll be installing it again correctly when I go Stage 2 with an Invidia Catted DP.
    2011 SWP WRX Hatch

Quote Originally Posted by Amaterasu View Post
    'P0112' code for Intake Air Temperature Circuit Low Input. I had the top of the Air Box pushing against the MAF so every time the car stalled the CEL would show. I only stalled because I was picking up my car from getting new tires put on. The tech lost the wheel lock key, which was outside on the ground about ten feet from my car, and I was too pissed to remember the car was in first. So I took the SF Intake out and put the stock airbox back in. I'll be installing it again correctly when I go Stage 2 with an Invidia Catted DP.
    Hope you do it soon... I look forward to seeing your numbers if you are going to protune by chance.

Probably by the end of the month, but I'll be using the AP for the Stage 2 tune. I'll be going with a protune after I get gauges, some suspension mods, and a few others.
    2011 SWP WRX Hatch

I have an AEM on my car but have the Cobb intake here as well. It's a very nice product but the downside for me is the filter on the Cobb is way smaller, it's an oiled filter, louder than the AEM, and being a short ram I'd imagine it would see higher temps.

2012 WRX ice silver metallic
    Protuned by Agile Auto 315whp/342wtq @ 20.5psi

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.