turbo seal shot?

This is a discussion on turbo seal shot? within the Engine Modifications forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; So I'm trying to figure out what's going on with my 04 wrx. I did an emergency oil change on ...

turbo seal shot?

So I'm trying to figure out what's going on with my 04 wrx. I did an emergency oil change on Sunday because my oil was low and I would have rather just changed the oil rather than put like 3 quarts in. Wso on Friday I che ck my oil. And I'm below low..I've looked into it, and I've seen bad Turbo seal or compression. Has anyhad this problem
    Don't underestimate a chick.

Morgan
    2004 Subaru WRX Wagon: Java Black Pearl

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

It doesn't blow any smoke at all. I was told I had the cleanest running exhaust the guy had ever seen for how many miles were on it. Checked at idle, boost, and while driving

Morgan

I Support ClubWRX
    Hang on, was your car warm? Mine often reads below empty when I've just turned the car off. If your exhaust is clean, you aren't excessively burning oil. How does the engine bay look? Any oil on the ground? Check around the oil filter and the crankcase plug. Also check the oil again before you start it in the morning.
    Isaac -- 2003 WRX sedan Stg II - Gave its life for mine 6/2013.
    2007 Outback 3.0R wagon
    Proud owner of a N.E.R.D, Member 1.3810-23

He who shall be last, shall be sideways and smiling... - Jeremy Clarkson

I'm going to check and see how much I have when I get home. But the car literally on for less than a minute. I just had to drive across the parking lot to the gas station when I got off. There is no oil on the ground. I even took lottery to a shop on Monday to see if I had a leak because my oil had gotten so low the day before. I'm going to take a look at the engine bay when I get home also.

Morgan

hi all , having the same problem . losing a qt to 600 to 1000 miles .oil is black , no leakes that i can see ,nothing on the ground . not smoking while driving , maybe a puff or so during a good boost . how do i diag the turbo given compression is good , car runs great other wise. 2005 sti stock with 108,000

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by wrx_mo View Post
    I'm going to check and see how much I have when I get home. But the car literally on for less than a minute. I just had to drive across the parking lot to the gas station when I got off. There is no oil on the ground. I even took lottery to a shop on Monday to see if I had a leak because my oil had gotten so low the day before. I'm going to take a look at the engine bay when I get home also.
    When doing an oil change you have to run it for a few minutes for it to fill the filter and circulate then let it settle for at least 5 min. on a flat spot, and wipe the dipstick a couple times before doing your final check. This is assuming you don't pre-fill the filter, which is also a good idea.
    "From a little spark may burst a mighty flame." - Dante
    "The stitch is lost unless the thread is knotted." - Italian proverb

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by creeker View Post
    hi all , having the same problem . losing a qt to 600 to 1000 miles .oil is black , no leakes that i can see ,nothing on the ground . not smoking while driving , maybe a puff or so during a good boost . how do i diag the turbo given compression is good , car runs great other wise. 2005 sti stock with 108,000
    Take off your intercooler and tip it up to see how much oil is coming out - a thimble full dribbling out is pretty normal.
    "From a little spark may burst a mighty flame." - Dante
    "The stitch is lost unless the thread is knotted." - Italian proverb

Quote Originally Posted by mycologist View Post
    When doing an oil change you have to run it for a few minutes for it to fill the filter and circulate then let it settle for at least 5 min. on a flat spot, and wipe the dipstick a couple times before doing your final check. This is assuming you don't pre-fill the filter, which is also a good idea.
    So pretty much with my car running for two minutes, just to drive from a parking spot to the level ground at the gas station,caused my dip stick to read wrong. Because when I checked it the next morning in
    My garage, I was fine with oil

Morgan

Quote Originally Posted by wrx_mo View Post
    So pretty much with my car running for two minutes, just to drive from a parking spot to the level ground at the gas station,caused my dip stick to read wrong. Because when I checked it the next morning in
    My garage, I was fine with oil
    That's what I'm just finding out. Had a little scare because I checked the oil level almost immediately after turning the car off and the dipstick was just about dry. Checked at least 3 more times to make sure what I was reading. Added about 1/4 quart I had left in the 5+ quart oil jug I used when I had the oil changed last (about 2000 miles ago). Checked again and it said full. Waited another 10 minutes and checked again and it said full. Turned the car on, let it run for a minute or so and checked the level again while the engine was running and the dipstick was dry again. I'm guessing it takes almost all the oil out of the pan while running and that's why you have to wait for the oil to drain back into the pan before checking. Learn something new every day I guess. I usually check the oil before I start the car or after it's cooled a little bit.