Perrin Intake - Page 2
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

This is a discussion on Perrin Intake within the Engine Modifications forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; Originally Posted by EJ257 Have you seen the MAF scaling changes that need to be made with the various stock-sized ...

Quote Originally Posted by EJ257 View Post
    Have you seen the MAF scaling changes that need to be made with the various stock-sized intakes on previous MYs?
    Like I said a lot depends on how you use the car, your particular location, your particular car itself, your other mods, and which intake you use. There is no absolute answer to this question.

Quote Originally Posted by Methodical4u View Post
    From what I've read .... intakes don't so much for the newer models. Id save your money for a tune or for a downpipe.
    And that would be exactly opposite of the truth.

Quote Originally Posted by Methodical4u View Post
    If perrin says its ok im sure it is.
    They also say it adds a bunch of HP/TQ. Do you trust that too?
    Scott
    Past Subies - '11 STI Limited stage 1+ and '04 STi stage 2+
    '13 Wrangler Rubicon - custom front bumper w/12k lb winch & off-road lights, skid plates, diff guards, etc.
    '04 Porsche 911 Turbo GT2 clone 600 HP/TQ
    '77 F-150 heavily modded for off-roading

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Im glad you can bring your infinite knowledge to the discussion. I don't particularly care if the intake does much for the car or not. There are quite a few people who would disagree with you... and while im not some huge perrin fan I think they know more about their own intakes than yourself. Crazy thought I guess though huh?

Trust whoever you want. Obviously Perrin speaks the absolute truth with their claimed HP/TQ gains with the intake so you should just rely on that and ignore everything everybody here says.

Don't come asking for advice and then bash very experienced, knowledgeable members. The cars in my signature have more money in mods than you've ever spent on cars in your life.

Adios.
    Scott
    Past Subies - '11 STI Limited stage 1+ and '04 STi stage 2+
    '13 Wrangler Rubicon - custom front bumper w/12k lb winch & off-road lights, skid plates, diff guards, etc.
    '04 Porsche 911 Turbo GT2 clone 600 HP/TQ
    '77 F-150 heavily modded for off-roading

Quote Originally Posted by teflon_jones View Post
    Trust whoever you want. Obviously Perrin speaks the absolute truth with their claimed HP/TQ gains with the intake so you should just rely on that and ignore everything everybody here says.

Don't come asking for advice and then bash very experienced, knowledgeable members. The cars in my signature have more money in mods than you've ever spent on cars in your life.
    Adios.
    LMAO!!! Where's the cookie icon somebody? lololol

You'll make friends around here quickly....
    --Anthony 2011 DGM WRX stg2+sf intake WTFtuned \_(ツ)_/

Official Subie owner as of 01/10/11
    Stink Eye Mob #87

Bye bye Bimmer
    Hellooo '11 REX

Quote Originally Posted by xFalleNx View Post
    You'll make friends around here quickly....
    If he is the definition of a friend, im perfectly ok with that.

I Support ClubWRX
    It may seem like a silly question, and I'm actually pretty sure I know the answer, but here goes: Why would you install the intake if it has no performance benefit and may even hurt performance and/or cause damage to your new car?
    * * PART-OUT IN PROGRESS. SEE FIRST POST. EMAIL REASONABLE OFFERS TO GREG.LOKEY@GMAIL * *

Greg

Build Thread
    ProTuned Stage 3ish '11 WRX Ltd HB (SWP) ~ 354 awhp 404 ft-lb tq on E85
    Friends don't let friends drive Mitsubishis.

Quote Originally Posted by lokey View Post
    It may seem like a silly question, and I'm actually pretty sure I know the answer, but here goes: Why would you install the intake if it has no performance benefit and may even hurt performance and/or cause damage to your new car?
    2011 WRX Limited, DGM; full tint, SPT CBE/STS w/ bushings, RA flaps, Enkei PF01s, Pink SuperTones, and ClubWRX.net stickers!
    My Photostream
    about.me

Admiral Ackbar the 1st mycologist's Avatar
    I Support ClubWRX
    My read on that information from Perrin would be that it does skew your MAF scaling. The stock tune is conservative enough probably being rich (I assume they are like the old models were notorious for) to be "safe" in their opinion. I.e. it isn't right. Then the error is too much for a leaner tune with more boost and maybe more timing.

Like I said a lot depends on how you use the car, your particular location, your particular car itself, your other mods, and which intake you use. There is no absolute answer to this question.

And that would be exactly opposite of the truth.

They also say it adds a bunch of HP/TQ. Do you trust that too?
    This is a circular argument. You are saying they do have a large benefit, but you don't believe Perrin because they say it is a large benefit.

You should be perfectly fine assuming you don't over-oil the filter and cause MAF issues. Technically the older models don't require a tune to run with an intake either, but the answer to the question varies a lot in terms of the particular intake, your location (i.e. altitude), and what you use the car for/how you drive it.
    The particular intake, yes. I don't see how those other elements factor in though. About it being technically OK in general on older models - that is a big no.

Adios.
    He wasn't asking for advise - he was offering it. I'm not going to weigh in on the HP argument, but I think there are two sides to that story. As far as the only thing asked, will it harm the car, he agreed with you then you called him out for it? Maybe experienced members could use sound logic and actual information to make a point instead of pulling trump cards on newbs? Do you actually have any experience with that intake and what it does to A/F?
    Last edited by mycologist; 03-12-2012 at 09:41 AM.
    "From a little spark may burst a mighty flame." - Dante
    "The stitch is lost unless the thread is knotted." - Italian proverb

Not putting it on now so you all can stop arguing. Hows that sound
    2011 Wrx DGM TP Stage 3
    Stink-eye mob #3737

The stock ECU can scale for increased air flow but only so much. As long as the MAF sensor is getting a nice clean reading of the air flow. If the airflow is too much the ECU mapping won't have enough range to adapt and then you go lean.

Though advertised power numbers can always be scewed (<- don't think i spelled that right haha), every dyno is different and every car is different.

However - a company would not last very long if every part it sold blew up someone's car. They'd quickly lose sales. I'm not sure how many intakes Perrin has sold but I've not read or found one person stating their car blew up or ran dangerously lean from running their intake. So for them to say it is safe, they would have needed to test 'multiple' cars in at different elevations to confirm the stock mapping can adapt without running lean or throwing a code. Plus get CARB approval in all 50 states.

So the ultimate question is: Is it ok to run the intake without a tune? - I say you will be fine.

Will you gain more power with a tune and intake? - Definitely.

I Support ClubWRX
    The Perrin intake is CARB approved?
    WRX Info Links, Courtesy TheJ
    The world breaks everyone and afterward many are strong in the broken places. Ernest Hemingway
    I lied. I cheated. I bribed men to cover the crimes of other men. I am an accessory to murder. But the most damning thing of all... I think I can live with it. And if I had to do it all over again - I would. Benjamin Sisko
    DISCLAIMER: Opinions expressed are the author's alone and are inherently worthless.

Quote Originally Posted by SD_GR View Post
    The Perrin intake is CARB approved?
    I'm under that assumption - no one take that as gospel.

I Support ClubWRX
    I would not make that assumption. I would also not assume it takes any testing whatsoever for them to say "it's safe."
    WRX Info Links, Courtesy TheJ
    The world breaks everyone and afterward many are strong in the broken places. Ernest Hemingway
    I lied. I cheated. I bribed men to cover the crimes of other men. I am an accessory to murder. But the most damning thing of all... I think I can live with it. And if I had to do it all over again - I would. Benjamin Sisko
    DISCLAIMER: Opinions expressed are the author's alone and are inherently worthless.

Quote Originally Posted by SD_GR View Post
    I would not make that assumption. I would also not assume it takes any testing whatsoever for them to say "it's safe."

I read up on their website that the intake is 'off road' only so it is not carb approved. What i said still applies though.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast