magnaflow "direct fit" catalytic converter doesn't fit

This is a discussion on magnaflow "direct fit" catalytic converter doesn't fit within the Engine Modifications forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; Anyone have any experience with magnaflow direct fit cat? I have a 2004 wrx wagon and I needed a rear ...

magnaflow "direct fit" catalytic converter doesn't fit

Anyone have any experience with magnaflow direct fit cat? I have a 2004 wrx wagon and I needed a rear cat replacement and I got this one Amazon.com: Magnaflow 23147 - Direct Fit Catalytic Converter: Automotive It's like 6 inches too long though!!!!! wtf!?? I'm assuming my only option now is to have a muffler shop cut and weld it so it fits?? Thanks.

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Just had the same problem at 10 pm in the driveway with my 2003 sedan daily driver... I have the magnaflow 49985 (CARB version, same dims) and it is way long. Also noticed that the "in" side flange is way smaller than the stock unit. Any resolution? I am pretty pissed....

Re: magnaflow "direct fit" catalytic converter doesn't fit

Are you willing/able to go catless? You'll get better performance at a cheaper price....

I think a used/cheap downpipe + xpt tune + used stock downpipe(for smog purposes) would be less than $300.

If you need this to pass smog you should just get a used oem downpipe.

Posted from a fone.

OK...after spending a while with 2 different tech support guys at magnaflow (ask for Dave, he is helpful) I figured out that MY 2003 wrx (which iactually has a back cat on it that they recognize as for a 2004 STI. I believe this to be true based on several assembly and detail drawings of pipes and flanges that Dave sent me. So, for the carb rear cat, I ordered a on 49984. I'll post if it fits for sure... As for re moving the cat, I choose to stay as green as I can with this car, but to each their own...

Hey Thunderbrick so did it fit? Thanks

Thanks for the bump... been busy here... The part fit like a glove. There are 3 installation notes worth mentioning:

1. Use the 2004 STI front gasket between this cat and the downpipe cat (bigger opening, oval shape)
    2. I used the 2003 WRX donut gasket between this and the cat-back. The gasket ID seamed a little big... I used channel-locks to squish/deform it a little (squeeze all around in the direction of the axis of the gasket) to get it to fit right.
    3. There is a slot in the mount for the screw that goes into the cat hanger on the tranny. Don't tighten this until your entire exhaust is in so you can line everything up. Didn't notice the slot and my new Borla twin-tip (3"dia) started hitting the front of the rear dif. Took me awhile to figure it out since the Subi cat is not slotted, and the bolt head covers the slot.

The combo of the new cat and cat-back sounds super; no droning on the highway, fairly quiet rumble until you get on it. When you get the RPMs up it sounds evil, although I don't have much (other than stock) to compare to. Butt Dyno says a modest power increase, but I really wasn't expecting much. The car is my very reliable DD, and I want to keep it that way, so this is one of the few mods I have, other than a K&N panel filter and a removed intake silencer.

Hope this helps,

NB

Awesome! Thanks for the info!