EJ207 - Yes or No?
+ Reply to Thread

This is a discussion on EJ207 - Yes or No? within the Engine Modifications forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; I'm about to pull the trigger on an EJ207 complete engine (includes turbo) and I was looking for some opinions. ...

EJ207 - Yes or No?

I'm about to pull the trigger on an EJ207 complete engine (includes turbo) and I was looking for some opinions.

My 2002 WRX engine is completely shot and has over 260,000 miles on it. Previous owner did not take care of the car at all. I got it for free and want to completely restore it. I do not plan on building it for massive amounts of horsepower, but will be using it as a daily driver. It's also an automatic, which is a must for me. I want to pretty much replace everything on the car either way I go.

I'm having a hard time finding a EJ205, but I did find a EJ207 for pretty cheap. It does not come with the ECU, but I found one for sale that should work (I think).

I've done a ton of research on the swap and opinions range from it's a major pain in the rear, to it's a super simple plug and play swap.

What do you think? Is it worth it for me to deal with the 207 or should I keep paying for a stupid rental car and keep looking for a 205?

If I do a 207 swap will I have issues down the line finding parts, etc?

Thanks for any input you can help me out with!

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

260,000 miles!? id say it had a good run haha

Anyone?

I Support ClubWRX
    I wish I was more helpful. All I can do is bump this in hopes that our guru's see it
    GTA:O ClubWRX Crew

My "Build" Thread!

2006 WRX TR
    Hawk-Eye Alliance #1856...ssshhh don't tell anyone!

I Support ClubWRX
    The trouble with the EJ207 is not the motor itself. The trouble is the wiring. I do not think the wiring is trivial. In fact I think it's a pain.

No motor just "drops in" because even removing and replacing a motor with another identical motor involves yelling, screaming, and cursing, but the EJ motors are generally interchangeable. However, I do NOT know how to deal with the electricals. This is what you need to find out, specifically, down to the last detail. Then decide.

Another option is an EJ257 fresh long block with your existing heads, albeit refreshed if possible from a machine shop after this time. Or, with fresh heads. Again you will need an ECU to control it.
    WRX Info Links, Courtesy TheJ
    Man is a brute.... If you're cruel to him, he respects and fears you. If you're kind to him, he plucks your eyes out. Alexis Zorbas
    I lied. I cheated. I bribed men to cover the crimes of other men. I am an accessory to murder. But the most damning thing of all... I think I can live with it. And if I had to do it all over again - I would. Benjamin Sisko
    DISCLAIMER: Opinions expressed are the author's alone and are inherently worthless.

Quote Originally Posted by SD_GR View Post
    The trouble with the EJ207 is not the motor itself. The trouble is the wiring. I do not think the wiring is trivial. In fact I think it's a pain.

No motor just "drops in" because even removing and replacing a motor with another identical motor involves yelling, screaming, and cursing, but the EJ motors are generally interchangeable. However, I do NOT know how to deal with the electricals. This is what you need to find out, specifically, down to the last detail. Then decide.

Another option is an EJ257 fresh long block with your existing heads, albeit refreshed if possible from a machine shop after this time. Or, with fresh heads. Again you will need an ECU to control it.
    Thanks for your response. I've been looking into ANY engine and from what I can actually find, the ej207 is going to be about half the price as doing anything else.

I fully anticipate yelling, screaming, cursing, possibly some thrown tools, but I can handle all that. I think I have all the wiring figured out, but who knows what will happen. My concern is a year down the line when I need a part and can't find one.

I just need an engine now. I'm really leaning towards doing this and dealing with it once it's here just because this is the only thing i can find. That's kind of how I roll anyway.

I knew this car was going to be a journey lol

I Support ClubWRX I Support ClubWRX
    If you want to take full advantage of the 207 you will need the complete wiring harness for it and either the JDM ECU (which will not pass inspection in the US) or an expensive standalone engine management system. I do know a few people who run the JDM ECU most of the year, then have a modified wiring harness they can swap in with a USDM ECU to limp the car to the inspection station to get a sticker. Honestly, it sounds like a huge pain in the ass.. not to mention you're looking at paying over $1000 for the wiring alone to make it work.

Quote Originally Posted by MainFrame View Post
    If you want to take full advantage of the 207 you will need the complete wiring harness for it and either the JDM ECU (which will not pass inspection in the US) or an expensive standalone engine management system. I do know a few people who run the JDM ECU most of the year, then have a modified wiring harness they can swap in with a USDM ECU to limp the car to the inspection station to get a sticker. Honestly, it sounds like a huge pain in the ass.. not to mention you're looking at paying over $1000 for the wiring alone to make it work.
    The engine comes with the wiring harness that I'll need. I have found an ECU for $350, which the person I'm getting the engine from agreed to deduct from the price, so I'm not looking at a lot of money to make it work. I'm sure I'll need some things once I get it here, but I'll deal with that when I figure it out lol I know I may need an adapter of sorts, but I've found a lot of information on how to make the wiring harness work, so I'm not too worried about that.

I was under the impression that the only emissions test that is failed because of the JDM ECU was the OBDII test, which I am not required to pass in Colorado, or Washington, where I am moving. Do you know of any other emissions test I may fail due to the JDM ECU?

Thanks so much for your help!

I think I've decided to just go with an EJ257 instead. It's going to actually be a little bit more money, but then I won't have to deal with any issues that may come up.

Kind of sucks that I can't find an EJ205, but I'm fine with upgrades.

Thanks for the help!

I Support ClubWRX
    You will need to remap the ECU for the 257 still, but things will be simpler I believe. This is likely what I'd have done to be honest. Happy wrenching.
    WRX Info Links, Courtesy TheJ
    Man is a brute.... If you're cruel to him, he respects and fears you. If you're kind to him, he plucks your eyes out. Alexis Zorbas
    I lied. I cheated. I bribed men to cover the crimes of other men. I am an accessory to murder. But the most damning thing of all... I think I can live with it. And if I had to do it all over again - I would. Benjamin Sisko
    DISCLAIMER: Opinions expressed are the author's alone and are inherently worthless.

I'll keep you all posted how it goes.

Thanks!

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by Daisy View Post

Kind of sucks that I can't find an EJ205!
    Are you just trying to find a used motor?
    Resident Adviser @ WTF Tuning, LLC
    2002 FORESTER S
    1998 FORESTER S

I did an EJ207 v8 twin scroll swap, in my opinion its a great option. I paid 3.5k shipped for the engine and another 350 for the swap and 150 for the ACVS wiring. The only problems I see with the swap is that some parts are hard to find (ie. camshaft P.sensor) and that if you are going to keep the 5 speed start saving up for a 6speed cause its not going to last, saying this cause i think mines just went . All in all, the motor is a easy drop in, the only need ACVS wiring and JDM ecu to get the benefits of ACVS.

This is just from my experience.

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.