2011 sti catless downpipe problem
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

This is a discussion on 2011 sti catless downpipe problem within the Engine Modifications forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; hey i have a 2011 sti an have a catless turbo back exhaust on it with aem intake an cobb, ...

2011 sti catless downpipe problem

hey i have a 2011 sti an have a catless turbo back exhaust on it with aem intake an cobb, but when i put the downpipe on im losing boost an when i get into the higher rpms when im on it it falls on its face, an throws a wastegate code, i was wondering if anyone knows how to fix that? thanks

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I Support ClubWRX
    Did you read the map notes?
    2005 WRX STi (Mods | Virtual Dyno)

Resident Tuner @ WTF Tuning, LLC

"Never trust anything that bleeds for a week and lives ..."

UNYSOC

It's the p0244 over boost code, mine does it as well. Cobb website says a tuner needs to correct it with the mechanical boost system. My wrx should be hitting 18.2lbs peak boost but is hitting 21lbs peak boost.

ok how can i correct it with the mechanical boost system cause im tired of the car falling on its face everytime i get onit, an mine peaks at 21 too when its supposed to be at 19 an it drops to 14 around 5700 rpms?

I Support ClubWRX
    Your car does not meet the requirements for the Cobb map, which is why it's not acting properly.

Quote Originally Posted by WRXdrifter28
    ok how can i correct it with the mechanical boost system cause im tired of the car falling on its face everytime i get onit, an mine peaks at 21 too when its supposed to be at 19 an it drops to 14 around 5700 rpms?
    You can fix the issue by modifying the ROM, mainly the WGDC/TD tables, and possibly utilize aftermarket boost control. The fact that you need to ask means you should probably seek out a professional (unless you like paying for motors).
    Last edited by EJ257; 01-27-2012 at 11:06 PM.
    2005 WRX STi (Mods | Virtual Dyno)

Resident Tuner @ WTF Tuning, LLC

"Never trust anything that bleeds for a week and lives ..."

UNYSOC

I Support ClubWRX
    You guys need to completely read the map notes before you flash/modify your car.
    Resident Adviser @ WTF Tuning, LLC
    2002 FORESTER S
    1998 FORESTER S

Good news, everyone! xxxxxxxAnub1s's Avatar
    I Support ClubWRX
    Case of the noobitis going on in here.

Word to the new: ALWAYS follow the directions given to you when modifying. This includes, as already stated, map notes. If you don't know what you're doing, or if you're not sure that a particular part will or will not work with your current setup, ask the tuner who will be working on your vehicle. Turbocharged cars do not behave well when they're modified beyond what they're tuned for. You're asking for engine damage.
    Cody
    Hawk-Eye Alliance #727 N.E.R.D #255.255.255.0

Your nighttime volunteer of near-useless information.
    Good news, everyone!

If you're in a cold winter climate right now put your stock intake back on and it will help it a lot.

Quote Originally Posted by WRXdrifter28 View Post
    It's not going to hold full boost to redline, it states on the map notes that it will taper down.

thanks bro, yea im in ny right now

Get a protune and they should be able to correct it.

I Support ClubWRX
    Read this - it will explain the concept of what is happening although I don't know if it addresses issues with '11s yet:

Boost creep / fuel cut

Donkey -

When Cobb says "mechanical", do you suppose they are meaning restrictor pill size or porting the wastegate?
    "From a little spark may burst a mighty flame." - Dante
    "The stitch is lost unless the thread is knotted." - Italian proverb

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by mycologist View Post
    Read this - it will explain the concept of what is happening although I don't know if it addresses issues with '11s yet:

Boost creep / fuel cut

Donkey -

When Cobb says "mechanical", do you suppose they are meaning restrictor pill size or porting the wastegate?
    Been working on my tune lately with a catless downpipe. In cold weather, I definitely have some boost creep past 5500RPM. The issue is just that the waste gate is too small to move the amount of needed air. Only real way to fix it is by porting the waste gate or going external - restrictor pill would probably work as well I'd say. Boost control will only help within the waste gates physical ability.

I even tried just sticking a screw in mine in place of the stock ebcs - just to verify it wasn't leaking or anything at higher RPMs. I've just come to the realization that until I go external in the future to not lay at 100% throttle past 5500RPMs in less than 40 degree weather.
    Quote Originally Posted by Trainrex
    He was throwing balloons filled with sulfuric acid and shrapnel at the swat team. They finally had to take him down with rubber bullets.
    2011 STi Build Log
    -Part 1 - Reading, Data Logging, and Analyzing Data
    -Part 2 - Turbocharger 101 & Basic Boost Control
    -Part 3 - EcuFlash, Experimental Defintions, and a Drive By Wire Intro

good news boys I have a stage 2 cobb acessport invedia catless down pipe,3 inch,cobb bpv valve,inake all the b.s bout a year ive been struggling with that error constantly when I yeanked the downpipe out I decided to port it and great it hasn't happened yet..when I called cobb tuning to ask how to fix it thay said only way is to go to a external wastegate.. as for performance I didn't feel much but no boost creep was well worth the hour of porting it hope my advise helps guys

I Support ClubWRX

Re: 2011 sti catless downpipe problem

Porting a wastegate isn't meant for everybody. They are very touchy about being modified.

Hopefully it works out for you. I would not recommend it for others however. I'd be mostly concerned about the wastegate not fully closing.
    Quote Originally Posted by Trainrex
    He was throwing balloons filled with sulfuric acid and shrapnel at the swat team. They finally had to take him down with rubber bullets.
    2011 STi Build Log
    -Part 1 - Reading, Data Logging, and Analyzing Data
    -Part 2 - Turbocharger 101 & Basic Boost Control
    -Part 3 - EcuFlash, Experimental Defintions, and a Drive By Wire Intro

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast