AEM cai or cobb sf intake?
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

This is a discussion on AEM cai or cobb sf intake? within the Engine Modifications forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; I have a 2010 wrx with a tb exhaust and stage 2 tune with a cobb ap. the aem cai ...

AEM cai or cobb sf intake?

I have a 2010 wrx with a tb exhaust and stage 2 tune with a cobb ap. the aem cai and cobb sf intake both have a stage 2 map for the ap, and i was wondering which one would make the most power or be better because i could basically choose either one. thanks

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

According to their map notes they seem to be the same to me... Stage 2 93 octane 17.5 % HP, 23.9% Torque for both...
    '02 WRX 4EAT, 311,000KMs/194,500Miles, Sold. Best car I ever had. '09 STi stage 1, hope this one will be good too...

I've been contemplating on which one of those intakes I want to purchase for my car as well. I think it comes down to preference of the look of the intake under the hood and whether or not you feel comfortable having a CAI that sits low. I haven't been able to find any threads that claim one to be superior to the other.

I Support ClubWRX
    If you go the Cobb route, you have to also purchase the airbox. Other than that, you're not going to notice much of a difference other than sound, maybe...

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk
    2005 WRX STi (Mods | Virtual Dyno)

Resident Tuner @ WTF Tuning

"Never trust anything that bleeds for a week and lives ..."

UNYSOC

Quote Originally Posted by EJ257 View Post
    If you go the Cobb route, you have to also purchase the airbox. Other than that, you're not going to notice much of a difference other than sound, maybe...

+1

Get the airbox w/cobb sf intake, and when seriously comparing both applications, the cobb is the better route to go. Shorter piping = faster air flow, composite materials = better heat dissipation as opposed to the AEM (aluminum I believe?). And with the airbox, it has an opening which allows airflow from the fender to travel to the filter anyways, so it effectively becomes a 'CAI.' Also, if you ever plan on getting a FMIC, you require a SRI, CAI gets in the way apparently of the piping.

Although, until you putting down 350+ whp, you prob won't notice much of a difference from either intake anyways
    Justin ~ 2011 WRX (WRB Sedan) ~ 275whp/299wtq

Build Thread Beloww:
    http://www.clubwrx.net/forums/builds...-2011-wrx.html

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by J_Maher_WRX View Post
    +1

Get the airbox w/cobb sf intake, and when seriously comparing both applications, the cobb is the better route to go. Shorter piping = faster air flow, composite materials = better heat dissipation as opposed to the AEM (aluminum I believe?). And with the airbox, it has an opening which allows airflow from the fender to travel to the filter anyways, so it effectively becomes a 'CAI.' Also, if you ever plan on getting a FMIC, you require a SRI, CAI gets in the way apparently of the piping.

Although, until you putting down 350+ whp, you prob won't notice much of a difference from either intake anyways
    +2. This very topic has recently been covered ad nauseam BY YOU here - cobb sf Intake?, and elsewhere on this forum. No offense, but PLEASE search topics before posting, and never post a duplicate thread.
    * * PART-OUT IN PROGRESS. SEE FIRST POST. EMAIL REASONABLE OFFERS TO GREG.LOKEY@GMAIL * *

Greg

Build Thread
    ProTuned Stage 3ish '11 WRX Ltd HB (SWP) ~ 354 awhp 404 ft-lb tq on E85
    Friends don't let friends drive Mitsubishis.

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by J_Maher_WRX
    You likely won't notice a difference regardless of power output. At some point (because dyno numbers vary, we can't put a cap on it), the stock-sized intake will be a restriction and you'll need to go to something in the 70+mm range.

2005 WRX STi (Mods | Virtual Dyno)

Resident Tuner @ WTF Tuning

"Never trust anything that bleeds for a week and lives ..."

UNYSOC

True enough, that was just a very rough approximation. But you're right, running each intake back to back you are not likely to notice any difference. What it boils down to really, is the companies ability to advertise their product, which I feel as though AEM does a better job. Biggest deciding factor for me = ease of installation & maintenance + with the facts I posted above, I couldn't see any reason to go with the AEM.
    Justin ~ 2011 WRX (WRB Sedan) ~ 275whp/299wtq

Build Thread Beloww:
    http://www.clubwrx.net/forums/builds...-2011-wrx.html

ok thanks everyone. i'm gonna go with the cobb

To each their own. Personally I think the AEM is a better product. Some people disagree, but that doesn't mean they're right.

Watch out for MAF issues...
    Scott
    Past Subies - '11 STI Limited stage 1+ and '04 STi stage 2+
    '13 Wrangler Rubicon - custom front bumper w/12k lb winch & off-road lights, skid plates, diff guards, etc.
    '04 Porsche 911 Turbo GT2 clone 600 HP/TQ
    '77 F-150 heavily modded for off-roading

Quote Originally Posted by teflon_jones View Post
    To each their own. Personally I think the AEM is a better product. Some people disagree, but that doesn't mean they're right.

Watch out for MAF issues...
    Eh?... It's a COBB designed product with their own map for it so why would there be any issues? But I agree with you on the AEM in the fender it would get colder air with more benefits...
    '02 WRX 4EAT, 311,000KMs/194,500Miles, Sold. Best car I ever had. '09 STi stage 1, hope this one will be good too...

Because it has an oiled filter which are well-known to cause issues on any car with a MAF.
    Scott
    Past Subies - '11 STI Limited stage 1+ and '04 STi stage 2+
    '13 Wrangler Rubicon - custom front bumper w/12k lb winch & off-road lights, skid plates, diff guards, etc.
    '04 Porsche 911 Turbo GT2 clone 600 HP/TQ
    '77 F-150 heavily modded for off-roading

Banned
    I Support ClubWRX
    Because it has an oiled filter which are well-known to cause issues on any car with a MAF.
    Just gotta keep it clean. I have no problems with my Perrin Big MAF which came with an oiled filter.

Yea, OK. But that's caused by user error of over oiling, after they clean it... Not really a problem if done properly.

I actually have both systems sitting in my garage right now. They are both constructed very well. I think it's a little unfair that Cobb Charges for the airbox as much as they do for the intake system. I haven't installed either of them. I believe AEM went the smart route with using an oil free filter vs Cobb's oiled filter. Aem also offers a splash protection sleeve which I hear works very well from keeping dirt and crap from building up onto the filter. Cobb's piping is definitely shorter than AEM's piping. Something that really scares me about AEM's intake is where it's positioned in the engine bay. We recently had an intense storm over here in Los Angeles flooding a few streets here and there. The water was up to half the length of my wheels. I know it would take accelerating WOT in a puddle to suck up enough water to hydra-lock the engine, but it's still something I worry about.

I decided to stick with Cobb's system because since I installed Cobb's downpipe and OTS maps, why not keep it all in the same family?

Oh and here's something to consider as well. Even though AEM's filter is an oil free filter, you still have to sell out $15-$20 for the special cleaning solution. You just can't use soap or dish detergent. No matter what route you take, you'll still have to spend the same amount of money on the cleaning/reoiling kits.

Here are some side by side shots of both Intakes.
    Note that I forgot to include the silicone piping for Cobb's intake.

Last edited by ejicon; 12-31-2011 at 04:55 PM.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.