2011 WRX - Downpipe Choices/Selection help
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

This is a discussion on 2011 WRX - Downpipe Choices/Selection help within the Engine Modifications forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; Hey guys, thanks to that ass Lokey , I have been stricken with the desire to get a downpipe and ...

2011 WRX - Downpipe Choices/Selection help

Hey guys, thanks to that ass Lokey , I have been stricken with the desire to get a downpipe and flash my 2011 WRX to Stage 2.

I currently have the Nameless Axleback exhaust, and was originally planning on getting the Full Nameless TBE. However, the Nameless downpipe is $600. It is a divorced design with a 200 cell high flow cat. This is how Jason from Nameless explained his design:

It features a proprietary, patent pending, reintroduction port to optimize the flow of the exhaust as the wastegate cracks open as well as optimal flow at wide open throttle/full boost/full wg duty cycle.

However, $600 is most definitely out of my price range at this time and will be for quite some time, potentially until next spring or summer. On the other hand, I saw on RallySportDirect, that Invidia offers a Catless DP for like $290.

There are NO emissions testing or inspections whatsoever in my province (I live in Canada). So what I'm asking, would it really be worthwhile to wait to get the Nameless DP, or should I just pull the trigger and get the Invidia DP as I could most definitely get the Invidia as a Christmas gift, between my girlfriend and brother. Also, are there ANY disadvantages in having a Catless DP, other than the obvious increase in emissions (Which IMO, matter very little as until the oil companies decide to give over and move to hydrogen/fusion possibilities, my extra emissions means a row of beans in the overall scheme)? I heard some people say that they tend to smell fairly bad, especially on startup, is this something that is common? Am I right to assume that the Invidia DP+Nameless Axleback would sound different then the Nameless DP + Nameless Axleback? And one of the more important things, IF my only ECU option is the Cobb AP, is it ok to use a Catless DP or should it have a Cat for those OTS maps?

My buddy at my local Subaru dealership had one of his friends protune his STi for free, so it might be possible to get a Protune from him if the Cobb AP is not sufficient for the Catless DP.

I know I always write a lot when starting new threads but I want any potential readers to fully understand the situation so that they are best equipped to offer any potential advice/feedback. Thanks guys!

EDIT: AHHH!! I just realized, if I am to get an aftermarket DP, would it require a new heat shield for the Turbo?? Does it require to be wrapped in that Heat Wrap stuff? Any other additional charges to be expected when buying an aftermarket DP, besides a new turbo->DP gasket??
    Last edited by J_Maher_WRX; 10-25-2011 at 07:24 AM.
    Justin ~ 2011 WRX (WRB Sedan) ~ 275whp/299wtq

Build Thread Beloww:
    http://www.clubwrx.net/forums/builds...-2011-wrx.html

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I Support ClubWRX
    I'm sure xFalleNx will chime in with his opinion since he just got the Cobb DP installed & has the Nameless Axleback.

I am definitely interested in the Nameless DP,but the Cobb DP has great reviews & is priced better.

I'm in no hurry to go Stage 2 ,so I'll just wait to hear more opinions before committing.
    T0ny
    2011 WRX
    2012 FXT

The Big 2011/2012 Mod Thread

Ooh,hang on. That is the throb of a turbocharged flat four engine. A sound which,all over the world,heralds the imminent arrival of a moron - JC.

Well, its $5 cheaper than the Nameless :P haha Although I do agree with you, I'd like to hear some first hand reviews of the Nameless DP, as they only started shipping those DP's out since Oct. 7

Build Thread Beloww:

I Support ClubWRX
    You're welcome. ;-)

It sounds like you've done some homework, so that's good. As for the Cobb OTS Stage 2 tune, I would call Cobb before going with that catless Invidia DP. You may be fine, but their Stage 2 map notes say, "Intended for an otherwise stock 2011 Subaru WRX MT vehicle running a turbo-back exhaust with a high-flow catalytic converter..."

* * PART-OUT IN PROGRESS. SEE FIRST POST. EMAIL REASONABLE OFFERS TO GREG.LOKEY@GMAIL * *

Greg

Build Thread
    ProTuned Stage 3ish '11 WRX Ltd HB (SWP) ~ 354 awhp 404 ft-lb tq on E85
    Friends don't let friends drive Mitsubishis.

A lot to be addressed in here....I'll go with what I know....

Firstly, in your other thread Tony mentioned a great price on a dp....It's the Cobb catted and I just bought it and had it installed yesterday. (pm me for details about it)

I don't know about the Nameless down pipe fitting with what mid-pipe options (as I haven't talked to Jason in a long time)....The Cobb dp is great because it bolts directly up to the stock mid-pipe. So my exhaust set up now is:
    Cobb DP --> stock mid-pipe --> Nameless Axleback

If you want to go with Invidia, from what I have heard, they can fit onto the stock mid-pipe, but a lot of them leak and you'd be better off going with a CBE too.

IMO, it depends a lot on how you want it to sound. I personally wanted something that wouldn't be obnoxious and more of a "sleeper", because it appears and sounds unmodded. I also wanted to be able to hear it a little bit more, which is why I went with the Nameless axle-back. If you want it loud, then go with a full cat-less TBE....if you prefer the subtlety, such as myself, go catted with more of a stock/quiet cbe.

So from my perspective going with the Cobb DP you not only will:
    a) only have to buy it to be full stg2
    b) get a GREAT deal on one
    c) will not loose any functionality or performance from keeping the stock mid-pipe and Nameless axleback

I'm going to go ahead and assume that you're really considering the Invidia cat-less due to price...which is a good idea, because you don't have to worry about emissions. Even though you "can" hook it up to a stock mid-pipe, I personally wouldn't...So you'd need also a full CBE.....So if you look at cost efficiency of everything, going cat less may not save you money.

As far as the heat shield goes, you don't need a new heat shield, you can actually cut the stock one to fit.....just google modify wrx heat shield...there's a couple really good DIYs online. Plus, it costs you nothing. Nothing requires to be heat wrapped, but there is really not many negatives to having it on there.....if you only plan on going stg2 and staying there (which if you keep hanging out with Lokey, won't happen lol) I would just skip the heat wrap.

/long pointless mostly non-informative rant
    --Anthony 2011 DGM WRX stg2+sf intake WTFtuned \_(ツ)_/

Official Subie owner as of 01/10/11
    Stink Eye Mob #87

Bye bye Bimmer
    Hellooo '11 REX

I Support ClubWRX
    Word. Don't follow me; it'll cost you. :-)

xFalleNx - What's the diameter of the stock midpipe?

As for sound, listen to xFalleNx. I had a Cobb DP and stock exhaust for some time, and it added a subtle increase to the "rumble," but I knew I was restricting air and sound beyond the DP. Personally, I LOVE the sound of my Cobb TBE. It is just WIDE open and you can tell when you hear it. It is however a bit too obnoxious for some....including my wife.
    * * PART-OUT IN PROGRESS. SEE FIRST POST. EMAIL REASONABLE OFFERS TO GREG.LOKEY@GMAIL * *

Greg

Build Thread
    ProTuned Stage 3ish '11 WRX Ltd HB (SWP) ~ 354 awhp 404 ft-lb tq on E85
    Friends don't let friends drive Mitsubishis.

Yea, the last thing I need is the fiancee complaining, I'll be sleeping on the couch with the dog lol. So I had to keep it quiet. Just so happens that's exactly what I wanted.

The stock mid-pips is 2.5"......what I love about the Cobb is that it's 3" and tapers down to 2.5"....where as the Invidia is full 3" and uses a collector to hook up to the stock mid-pipe. Hence why there are leaky issues.

It's weird...with the DP my car did not get any louder....it's more of a tone change...its like deeper and growlier (I guess that's the best way I can explain it).

I am 99% sure that there's a rule here about not advertising for non clubWRX vendors so if any one would like any info on it, feel free to PM me.

Stink Eye Mob #87

Bye bye Bimmer
    Hellooo '11 REX

Considering you have your Cobb DP hooked up to your stock midpipe, why Couldn't I hook the Invidia up to my stock downpipe?? I dont really understand the difference there. Also, my buddy at the Subaru dealership had the Q300 exhaust on his old WRX before he got his STi, which he bought an N1 for, and he said he would sell me the Invidia midpipe from his Q300.

If I try to hook up Invidia DP to the stock midpipe, what will I need? A new turbo->DP gasket for sure I know, RSD says that Invidia supplies a DP->Midpipe gasket, but would that only be good for the DP->Aftermarket Midpipe? or would that still work with the stock catback?

EDIT: Just noticed your latest post, what exactly do you mean a 'collector'?? And if it is known to have leaky issues, can that be avoided just by being extremely careful when installing it to make sure it gets a good seal?? And if the Cobb DP tapers to 2.5", if you were to get an aftermarket midpipe. i.e the Nameless or Invidia Midpipe, which is 3" all the way, wouldn't that cause a slight restriction at the taper??
    Last edited by J_Maher_WRX; 10-25-2011 at 10:21 AM.

Build Thread Beloww:

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by J_Maher_WRX View Post
    Well, its $5 cheaper than the Nameless
    Not according to prices quoted by the mentioned vendor,the difference(including shipping cost) is about $100.
    T0ny
    2011 WRX
    2012 FXT

The Big 2011/2012 Mod Thread

Ooh,hang on. That is the throb of a turbocharged flat four engine. A sound which,all over the world,heralds the imminent arrival of a moron - JC.

Quote Originally Posted by rage-wrx View Post
    Not according to prices quoted by the mentioned vendor,the difference(including shipping cost) is about $100.
    yeah true enough Tony, wasn't considering that good price on the Cobb unit

Build Thread Beloww:

Also guys, where the Invidia is a catless DP, what will I have to do in order to prevent the CEL from showing up? I know it has a 'bung?" i think its called, would I have to buy and install a new O2 sensor or wahts the deal with that?? Or will it still be fine since there is still a cat in the stock midpipe?

Build Thread Beloww:

Considering you have your Cobb DP hooked up to your stock midpipe, why Couldn't I hook the Invidia up to my stock downpipe?? I dont really understand the difference there. Also, my buddy at the Subaru dealership had the Q300 exhaust on his old WRX before he got his STi, which he bought an N1 for, and he said he would sell me the Invidia midpipe from his Q300.

A lot goin on here.....

The stock mid-pipe is 2.5".....Codd's DP is 3" and goes down to 2.5" to bolt to stock mid-pipe. Invidia's dp is full 3" so you need a 3" to 2.5" collector which sometimes leaks (not every time). I just didn't want to run that risk.

The Q300 midpipe may not bolt up to your stock axleback as it's only 2.5" and I'm pretty sure the Q300 is 3" (someone correct me if I'm wrong here).

If I try to hook up Invidia DP to the stock midpipe, what will I need? A new turbo->DP gasket for sure I know, RSD says that Invidia supplies a DP->Midpipe gasket, but would that only be good for the DP->Aftermarket Midpipe? or would that still work with the stock catback?
    That gasket is only good for DP --> after market mid-pipe because it's 3". A 3" gasket won't properly seal a 2.5" exhaust.

EDIT: Just noticed your latest post, what exactly do you mean a 'collector'?? And if it is known to have leaky issues, can that be avoided just by being extremely careful when installing it to make sure it gets a good seal?? And if the Cobb DP tapers to 2.5", if you were to get an aftermarket midpipe. i.e the Nameless or Invidia Midpipe, which is 3" all the way, wouldn't that cause a slight restriction at the taper??
    The "collector" whatever (some people call it something different) has a 3" opening, that bolts to your dp, and a 2.5" exit, which bolts to your midpipe. So you can run a 3" DP on an stock mid-pipe. The possible leaks from that can't be avoided because the problem isn't due to careless install, it's due to the fact that they're not designed to work with each other. Using a collector allows you to do that, but it can leak. I'm not saying it will.....but you will run the risk of it possibly leaking.

You can not run the Cobb DP with the nameless CBE because it will not bolt up. I'm not trying to be rude at all here, but it's a relatively simple concept (please don't take that the wrong way, man)....the best thing to do is stick with either a 2.5" TBE or a 3" TBE. You'll drive yourself crazy trying to think of ways to mate the two together, but it's not worth it.

3" can't safely mate up to 2.5" and vice versa. Try to stick to that.

So in all......if you definitely want to run an Invidia DP, know you're going to need a CBE too, because it won't mate up to your stock mid-pipe.
    If you want to run the Cobb, you don't need anything as it will bolt up to your stock mid-pipe.

If you want it to be louder and go cat-less, go with the Invidia and whatever 3" CBE you want. (which will actually be the more expensive route)
    If you want to save a little money and have a quieter exhaust but same ammt of power, go with the Cobb DP, which at the price that this specific vendor is selling it at, is a steal.

Stink Eye Mob #87

Bye bye Bimmer
    Hellooo '11 REX

I Support ClubWRX
    my 3" dp is connected to my 2.5" catback
    GrimmSpeed
    Kevin
    Sinister's Blowoff Valve FAQ
    WRX Gas Mileage FAQ
    Sinister's Progress Thread - 430whp 429wtq - Sold
    Firearms Enthusiasts Thread

The Sheriff's Star at the bottom left corner rates a user's reputation.
    If you found a user's post to be helpful or quite the opposite, please make it known to them by clicking the Star!

What Sinister posted is EXACTLY what I was talking about!

That enables you to hook up a 3" dp to a 2.5" cat-back. I've personally read a few too many reviews/claims of people saying that the 3"-->2.5" can leak that I didn't want to go that route.

Stink Eye Mob #87

Bye bye Bimmer
    Hellooo '11 REX

Thanks for the input Fallen, and no I won't take it the wrong way, I see the value in constructive criticism, otherwise how would I learn right??

Don't forget now tho, that I have the Nameless axleback and I will most likely, if the Invidia midpipe won't fit, be gettign the Nameless Midpipe in the future, most likely in May for my birthday. So I would only be running the 3" DP to the stock midpipe for a few months at most.

DO you have any opinion on my latest posts though in terms of the 02 sensor/CELs?

Build Thread Beloww:

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast