2011 WRX - Downpipe Choices/Selection help - Page 4
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

This is a discussion on 2011 WRX - Downpipe Choices/Selection help within the Engine Modifications forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; Originally Posted by Mikie13 Could occur...boost creep isn't as big of an issue in newer models as any turbo post ...

Quote Originally Posted by Mikie13 View Post
    Could occur...boost creep isn't as big of an issue in newer models as any turbo post VF39 is made with larger wastegate openings to combat creep. Proper tuning also helps to eliminate the possibility of boost creep.

On that note, I have a freakin catless DP sitting in my basement waiting to go on...I just have to get the tune portion sorted out for when I'm ready to go.
    ahh ok, yeah my buddy AT my local Subaru Dealership told me going Cobb Stage 2 OTS map with the Catless Downpipe would be OK, even though the Cobb Map notes say that its intended for a High Flow Cat DP. At the same time, some staff guys at Rallysportdirect agree with my buddy at Subaru, but then others say No you have to use a catted DP. What do I believe?! haha
    Justin ~ 2011 WRX (WRB Sedan) ~ 275whp/299wtq

Build Thread Beloww:
    http://www.clubwrx.net/forums/builds...-2011-wrx.html

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by EJ257 View Post
    That's a band-aid approach, one I wouldn't do personally.

Porting the wastegate or going external is the proper method.
    What exactly does either of those methods involve?? Is that "porting" commonly referred to as PnP?? How would I do that and is it very expensive/require buying more aftermarket parts?

Build Thread Beloww:

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by J_Maher_WRX
    What exactly does either of those methods involve?? Is that "porting" commonly referred to as PnP?? How would I do that and is it very expensive/require buying more aftermarket parts?
    I'm not sure if that's SOP with typical PnP services. Grimmspeed is popular, so if you're thinking about using them, ask.

As for DIY:
    Wastegate porting - NASIOC
    2005 WRX STi (Mods | Virtual Dyno)

Resident Tuner @ WTF Tuning

"Never trust anything that bleeds for a week and lives ..."

UNYSOC

While many others tend to believe that you need to stick to Cobb's map notes strictly, it makes sense. They produced that basic OTS map with those specifics in mind, so you shouldn't deviate from it.

I also think that they say that just to cover their ass legally. They say to use a Cat because that's what's legal in 95% of the country. And in the event something does go wrong with your car that who knows, has something to do with being catless, you can't go back and say "well Cobb allowed it!" If you put on an intake, while going stage 2 with a map they didn't note to use an intake with, then you can't go back and try and sue them to say that their map caused you to blow up your car. They have the ability to say "well, you had that X-brand intake on there and our map notes specifically said to NOT use any kind of aftermarket intake."

Plus...that OTS map doesn't take into account other mods, so you may not see noticeable gains from a mod that you just spent money on.

That being said...I had an SPT intake, catless DP, and larger TMIC on my 07 STI without any issues running the OTS Cobb Stage 2 map. But, like Cobb, I'll make a disclaimer: if you don't follow the map notes and you blow up your car, I too am NOT responsible haha.
    The Hawk-Eye Alliance #90|The Blobeye Syndicate #0|The Stink-Eye Mob #0|N.E.R.D. Founding Member & #3
    2012 Lightning Red WRX Sedan
    Stock...for now Soon to be OpenSource tuned by: Mattypants @ WTF Tuning

EJ I'm still not sure what you mean man. What exactly is 'SOP', what is 'EWG' for example and what exactly would I need to help eliminate or prevent the boost creep?

And Mikie I totally agree with you, I do think however that I would be fine with the catless and the stage 2 ots map for a few months, it's not like I'm using a completely wrong tune, just one that isn't exactly optimized for my situation. In May when I get my Nameless midpipe I will be getting a protune anyways.

Build Thread Beloww:

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by J_Maher_WRX
    EJ I'm still not sure what you mean man. What exactly is 'SOP', what is 'EWG' for example and what exactly would I need to help eliminate or prevent the boost creep?
    SOP = Standard Operating Procedure
    EWG = External wastegate

To eliminate boost creep, you either need to have your wastegate ported like described in the thread I linked to or get an external wastegate (e.g., I have the Grimmspeed/Tial setup).

Quote Originally Posted by Mikie13
    I also think that they say that just to cover their ass legally. They say to use a Cat because that's what's legal in 95% of the country.
    You're still tampering with two emission control devices
    2005 WRX STi (Mods | Virtual Dyno)

Resident Tuner @ WTF Tuning

"Never trust anything that bleeds for a week and lives ..."

UNYSOC

Coming late to this thread, but if someone could PM me the details on the Cobb DP vendor, I'd appreciate it.

I Support ClubWRX
    www.rallysportdirect.com They are having a sale on all Cobb products right now.
    * * PART-OUT IN PROGRESS. SEE FIRST POST. EMAIL REASONABLE OFFERS TO GREG.LOKEY@GMAIL * *

Greg

Build Thread
    ProTuned Stage 3ish '11 WRX Ltd HB (SWP) ~ 354 awhp 404 ft-lb tq on E85
    Friends don't let friends drive Mitsubishis.

The Cobb DP doesn't appear to be on sale. The price is $600, just like most other places.

I Support ClubWRX
    talk to one of the site vendors
    Kevin
    Sinister's Blowoff Valve FAQ
    WRX Gas Mileage FAQ
    Sinister's Progress Thread - 430whp 429wtq - Sold
    Firearms Enthusiasts Thread

The Sheriff's Star at the bottom left corner rates a user's reputation.
    If you found a user's post to be helpful or quite the opposite, please make it known to them by clicking the Star!

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by EvilTwinf0f1 View Post
    The Cobb DP doesn't appear to be on sale. The price is $600, just like most other places.
    My bad. Sale ended 1/1/12.
    * * PART-OUT IN PROGRESS. SEE FIRST POST. EMAIL REASONABLE OFFERS TO GREG.LOKEY@GMAIL * *

Greg

Build Thread
    ProTuned Stage 3ish '11 WRX Ltd HB (SWP) ~ 354 awhp 404 ft-lb tq on E85
    Friends don't let friends drive Mitsubishis.

February 2nd 2014

I read every post in this thread lol

I'm going nameless

Cat lulz idgaf bout raw exhaust smell

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234