2011 WRX - Downpipe Choices/Selection help - Page 2
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

This is a discussion on 2011 WRX - Downpipe Choices/Selection help within the Engine Modifications forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; Heh. I never knew (until today) that my Cobb DP tapers down to 2.5". :-( Makes sense, I guess, since ...

I Support ClubWRX
    Heh. I never knew (until today) that my Cobb DP tapers down to 2.5". :-( Makes sense, I guess, since it can be hooked up to the stock mid. It's just funny, considering Cobb's CBE is 3". I assume my 2.5" DP end to my 3" CBE beginning connection is okay?
    * * PART-OUT IN PROGRESS. SEE FIRST POST. EMAIL REASONABLE OFFERS TO GREG.LOKEY@GMAIL * *

Greg

Build Thread
    ProTuned Stage 3ish '11 WRX Ltd HB (SWP) ~ 354 awhp 404 ft-lb tq on E85
    Friends don't let friends drive Mitsubishis.

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I won't lie, I do not know much at all about catless down pipes and how to fix the CEL problem, I hope other will chime in about it. I do know on my catted one the bung is for a wideband o2 sensor.

Due to this:
    "Don't forget now tho, that I have the Nameless axleback and I will most likely, if the Invidia midpipe won't fit, be gettign the Nameless Midpipe in the future, most likely in May for my birthday. So I would only be running the 3" DP to the stock midpipe for a few months at most."

I would suggest going for a 3" DP and getting what Sinister posted for now and worry about a CBE at a later date. Main reason I was talking about the Cobb one was the price, hell that's what made me purchase it last week. For the price of the Cobb unit, I couldn't beat it at all.....but I don't plan to ever get a different mid-pipe/axleback. I love how it is now.

Whether you go catted or cat-less is 100% up to you though.
    --Anthony 2011 DGM WRX stg2+sf intake WTFtuned \_(ツ)_/

Official Subie owner as of 01/10/11
    Stink Eye Mob #87

Bye bye Bimmer
    Hellooo '11 REX

Quote Originally Posted by lokey View Post
    Heh. I never knew (until today) that my Cobb DP tapers down to 2.5". :-( Makes sense, I guess, since it can be hooked up to the stock mid. It's just funny, considering Cobb's CBE is 3". I assume my 2.5" DP end to my 3" CBE beginning connection is okay?

Don't hold me to this, but I think Cobb's CBE goes from 2.5" back to 3".....so they designed their whole system to be inner-swappable with any stock parts.
    For instance: Cobb DP --> Stock CBE......or Stock DP --> Cobb CBE

My guess is that they developed it so that they could sell either piece of the system or the whole thing together and have it fit any OEM application.

Stink Eye Mob #87

Bye bye Bimmer
    Hellooo '11 REX

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by xFalleNx View Post
    Don't hold me to this, but I think Cobb's CBE goes from 2.5" back to 3".....so they designed their whole system to be inner-swappable with any stock parts.
    For instance: Cobb DP --> Stock CBE......or Stock DP --> Cobb CBE

My guess is that they developed it so that they could sell either piece of the system or the whole thing together and have it fit any OEM application.
    Ding! That is correct! Just talked to Cobb - 3" pipe, 2.5" flange on the CBE. ....so I WILL hold you to this. :-)
    * * PART-OUT IN PROGRESS. SEE FIRST POST. EMAIL REASONABLE OFFERS TO GREG.LOKEY@GMAIL * *

Greg

Build Thread
    ProTuned Stage 3ish '11 WRX Ltd HB (SWP) ~ 354 awhp 404 ft-lb tq on E85
    Friends don't let friends drive Mitsubishis.

Yaaay!

I'm feeling smart today!

At least I'm being productive on clubWRX instead of work lol.

Stink Eye Mob #87

Bye bye Bimmer
    Hellooo '11 REX

^^^ hahaha man I was on this site and several others for like 6 hours today at work.. on the most slack workterm EVARRR with the government here. literally have NO respoonsibilities anymore since I got my entire terms work done in a month and a half... haha

Anyyyywayyss, I think I will be taking your advice fallen, and I'm most likely going to pull the trigger on the Invidia DP. However, I am still wondering, if going with a catless DP, are there any disadvantages? Like I said in the OP, one guy said that the car smelled bad with it on startup, would that be due to the pure unfiltered exhaust gas or is that something wrong would you think?

If the DP has a bung welded in for a wideband O2 sensor, and I don't get a wideband sensor for some time, can the AP be used to clear the CEL codes that I may get??
    Justin ~ 2011 WRX (WRB Sedan) ~ 275whp/299wtq

Build Thread Beloww:
    http://www.clubwrx.net/forums/builds...-2011-wrx.html

Sorry about jumping in on something I know nothin about just got my 11 wrx..grew up on trucks..on here deff to learn... It goes dp> mid pipe > then the cat back exhaust ....right ? I am one that does like obnoxious loud exhaust I've been looking at cat back exhaust not sure which one I'm going with ...just ordered the Cobb intake air.box for first mod ..now exhaust time...so heres the dumb question if I go with a cat back exhaust say nameless..what more will a dp do for u ...sound increase ? Power increase ? Better for the car ? ... Thanks guys

U.S. Combat Veteran (3ID) Stu_Gotti's Avatar
    I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by john2378 View Post
    It goes dp> mid pipe > then the cat back exhaust ....right ?
    Correct.

Quote Originally Posted by john2378 View Post
    if I go with a cat back exhaust say nameless..what more will a dp do for u ...sound increase ? Power increase ? Better for the car ? ... Thanks guys
    It will create more of all that you mention, let's the car breathe and gives you a lil something in return.
    Clarke Tuned | Cobb SRI | Cobb DP | Nameless Mid-Pipe & Axleback | PW TMIC | DW65C | NGK2309 | SPT STS | RA Flaps w/Blue | Pro-Clip | KB Black Aluminum Shift Knob
    KB Front & Rear Shifter Bushings | 18x9.5 +40 Gunmetal Rota D wrapped in 265/35ZR-18 Michelin Pilot Sport A/S 3
    Yakima Roof Rack Complete System w/ Highroller Bike Rack & Yakima Fairing | 35% Tint | Full Sound Dead | Kicker BassStation 2ea. 12" | Blue Prova Rearview

"I may appear calm, but in my head I've killed you three times."

What about the drone at ~1500rpm? Any of these combinations get rid of it? I am currently cobb ap stage 1 + sf intake and looking to add the cobb dp, but still worried about the drone. I want to be drone free.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk
    2011 WRX Limited - Dark Grey Metallic
    [Cobb stage 2 93+ SF Intake] [Invidia Catted DP] [SMY Gauge Cluster w/Boost and Volt Gauges] [Monkeybone Racing Heater Vent Gauge Panel w/Oil Pressure and Temp Gauges]
    [Cobb Heatshield] [Kartboy SS] [Weathertech Floorliners] [Hardwired V1 w/Remote Display] [Complete Aftermarket Audio System] [Lighted WRX fender badges]

Quote Originally Posted by J_Maher_WRX View Post
    However, I am still wondering, if going with a catless DP, are there any disadvantages? Like I said in the OP, one guy said that the car smelled bad with it on startup, would that be due to the pure unfiltered exhaust gas or is that something wrong would you think?

If the DP has a bung welded in for a wideband O2 sensor, and I don't get a wideband sensor for some time, can the AP be used to clear the CEL codes that I may get??
    Yea, the smell is due to unfiltered exhaust....but let's be honest here, we are all car enthusiasts......don't act like you don't love that smell. lol
    The AP will clear the code, but not for good....it'll keep coming back on. Basically you can clear it, then next time you turn the car on, it'll be on again. I know a lot of people don't mind running a catless with the CEL on all the time, but it would bother me, just because you'd never know when you throw another code. I do think there's a way to eliminate the CEL from the DP completely...how? I have no clue.

Quote Originally Posted by G8toWRXDave View Post
    What about the drone at ~1500rpm? Any of these combinations get rid of it? I am currently cobb ap stage 1 + sf intake and looking to add the cobb dp, but still worried about the drone. I want to be drone free.
    I don't have any drone at all with my set up, and it's basically the same set-up you have. I have the Cobb DP and SF intake system. If you add the DP to your stock CBE you won't experience any drone. I would suggest either mating it up to the SPT or Nameless if you want a lil more rumble though. As I said earlier though, how you want it to sound is all up to you, and you're in full control of that.

Stink Eye Mob #87

Bye bye Bimmer
    Hellooo '11 REX

Good info, following this thread for when the time comes to go stage 2. I think I will be doing the Cobb DP to the stock catback, I am old and dislike it too loud.

For now I am enjoying the Stage 1 + SF, although I have not directly spoken to him about it I still blame Lokey.

You should definitely blame Lokey for just about everything!

Stink Eye Mob #87

Bye bye Bimmer
    Hellooo '11 REX

Lokeys a bad influence on my wallet haha and yes ok i'll admit i certainly don't mind that smell haha

Hmm, if I am to retain the stock midpipe for now, which has a cat in it correct??, would I still get the CEL problem? I certainly don't mind running a catless DP for a few years until I get my STi, which I will most likely go with a full Nameless TBE, but like you I think it would bother me if there is no permanent fix to this CEL problem.

Build Thread Beloww:

hmm so apparently the AP is a permanent fix for the CEL due to a cat-less dp.

I just wanted to post that in this thread too, so if anyone in the future stumbles upon it, all the info is here.

Stink Eye Mob #87

Bye bye Bimmer
    Hellooo '11 REX

Quote Originally Posted by xFalleNx View Post
    hmm so apparently the AP is a permanent fix for the CEL due to a cat-less dp.

I just wanted to post that in this thread too, so if anyone in the future stumbles upon it, all the info is here.
    Seriously? Any way you can confirm this? If this is legit, I am going to be one happppyyy camper haha that would be perfect

Build Thread Beloww:

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast