Racing fuel: tune necessary/available?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

This is a discussion on Racing fuel: tune necessary/available? within the Engine Modifications forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; Hey y'all. I have a 2011. The Sunoco near my house sells 110 octane racing fuel and I want to ...

Racing fuel: tune necessary/available?

Hey y'all.

I have a 2011. The Sunoco near my house sells 110 octane racing fuel and I want to see how the car runs on it. Should I be concerned about fueling a stock tuned car with 110? Do I need a tune?

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

ClubWRX.net Vendor adam@kronosperformance's Avatar
    I Support ClubWRX
    Yes...you would need a tune to take advantage of any high octane fuel like that.

It may even cause negative affects if you do it without.
    ClubWRX.net's #1 Vendor! - www.kronosperformance.com - Call/Text 732-742-8837 |
    AIM Screenname - KronosParts | GoogleTalk - sales@kronosperformance.com | Military Discount
    Kronos has Special Pricings on Process West & Agency Power!
    CONTACT US DIRECTLY FOR SPECIALS AND PROMOTIONS

Thanks for responding.

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by Vroom! View Post
    Thanks for responding.
    Anytime.
    AIM Screenname - KronosParts | GoogleTalk - sales@kronosperformance.com | Military Discount

You can use that fuel but unless you tune for it there won't be any advantage, just extra cost.

Is that something COBB would be able to help out with ? Im in the same boat, access to high octane but cant really use it....

---Joe---

.....or bigger injectors and E85 too, whats the deal ?

---Joe---

I Support ClubWRX I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by Oh! Snap! View Post
    .....or bigger injectors and E85 too, whats the deal ?

---Joe---

You need to tune for the fuel you are using, simple as that.

I get that, but is that something that COBB and I will be able to do ? Can that MAP be added to my AP ?

Thanks

---Joe--

Good news, everyone! xxxxxxxAnub1s's Avatar
    I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by MainFrame View Post
    You need to tune for the fuel you are using, simple as that.
    This.

Fuel is a very important part of engine tuning. Too high octane without any tuning is going to either give you no gain what so ever, or as mentioned above, even power loss. Too low octane is going to cause detonation and possibly engine damage. Essentially your ECU needs to know how to handle what's been done to it. If you don't tell it what to do, it's going to act like nothings changed and that can have very negative consequences.

Always do your research on the mods you want to use on your vehicle before even purchasing the mods. I'd recommend anyone new consulting a professional tuner in their area.
    Cody
    Hawk-Eye Alliance #727 N.E.R.D #255.255.255.0

Your nighttime volunteer of near-useless information.
    Good news, everyone!

I Support ClubWRX
    Is that something COBB would be able to help out with ? Im in the same boat, access to high octane but cant really use it....

---Joe---
    I think some people make too big of a deal with higher octane.

High Octane has a higher resistance to detonation, so there would be 2 main purposes of using it...one would be if you are requiring it due to if you go to a lower octane you would produce knock. The other reason is if you are trying to improve power. The only real way to gain power from higher octane would be manipulating ignition timing and possibly running a little leaner. Depending on your setup though, doing this would result into minimal power increases and is something that should be done on a dyno to actual measure your powerband, whether its increasing or not. Just because you advance timing doesn't mean that you will automatically make power or that its making power safely.

Cliff Notes: If you have a basic street setup, this is no real necessity or major power increases from higher rated octane fuel after tuning. Note, when I say major, I'm saying you're not going to jump 25-50 HP just from changing the ignition timing on a basic street setup.

10-4.

I Support ClubWRX I Support ClubWRX
    I get that, but is that something that COBB and I will be able to do ? Can that MAP be added to my AP ?

Thanks

---Joe--

Yes, if you take your car to them for a dyno tune they can get you set up on e85 with ease. And loading the new map on your AP is a cinch.

Quote Originally Posted by KronosPerformance View Post
    Cliff Notes: If you have a basic street setup, this is no real necessity or major power increases from higher rated octane fuel after tuning. Note, when I say major, I'm saying you're not going to jump 25-50 HP just from changing the ignition timing on a basic street setup.

Depends on what fuel you're talking about. It isn't unheard of to see gains of +50whp and +70ft/lbs when switching to e85. There are several stage two STis out there pushing 400ft/lbs at the wheels running e85 on a stock turbo. I would consider that significant gains. Although there's more benefit to e85 than just higher octane.

Thats what Im looking for, thanks.

---Joe---

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by MainFrame View Post
    Depends on what fuel you're talking about. It isn't unheard of to see gains of +50whp and +70ft/lbs when switching to e85. There are several stage two STis out there pushing 400ft/lbs at the wheels running e85 on a stock turbo. I would consider that significant gains. Although there's more benefit to e85 than just higher octane.
    Yeah I specifically didn't mention E85 lol

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast