Fuel pump, injectors, TGV deletes and TD04 19T - Page 9
+ Reply to Thread
Page 9 of 12 FirstFirst 123456789101112 LastLast

This is a discussion on Fuel pump, injectors, TGV deletes and TD04 19T within the Engine Modifications forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; Originally Posted by SD_GR Sweet deal. I have got to get myself an A/C unit in my garage, even if ...

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by SD_GR View Post
    Sweet deal. I have got to get myself an A/C unit in my garage, even if it's just for show! You know, on NASIOC there's a how-to pictorial with a guy doing a timing belt and water pump, and he's wearing a dress shirt with barrel cuffs buttoned.

When I did my timing belt and water pump I really wanted to wear a shirt with cufflinks (to up the ante!) and post the pics but never got around to it. You might consider something like that. Maybe rent a tux or something?
    I'm wearing some seriously worn out duds. Dress up for this? Never!

I'm off to do more until I cant stand it. I'd like to get turbo fully installed. That seems way easy next to the manifold..

Green brackets of death; reinstall or not? What do you all think? Donkey says he leaves them off.
    Moderator for: Aftermarket Vendor & Installer Review / Detailing Forum / Engine Modifications / Exterior & Appearance
    New Member Hangout / Off Topic / Tri-State
    ScoobyDMC #003 Blobeye Syndicate #10
    2004 WRX Sedan PSM 5MT Tactrix Stage 2+ Blouch TD04 19T @ 21 psi
    Mods & Pics

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by SD_GR View Post
    Sweet deal. I have got to get myself an A/C unit in my garage, even if it's just for show! You know, on NASIOC there's a how-to pictorial with a guy doing a timing belt and water pump, and he's wearing a dress shirt with barrel cuffs buttoned.

When I did my timing belt and water pump I really wanted to wear a shirt with cufflinks (to up the ante!) and post the pics but never got around to it. You might consider something like that. Maybe rent a tux or something?

Have you seen Big Sky's post years ago about the "chimney" style heat shield for his turbo? Might be worth a look if it's still around.
    That'd be a major noper for me. Shorts and a tshirt. I sweat like a ***** in church even when it's only 50 degrees (F) outside. No way I'd be caught dead in sleeves. I'd prefer to go shirtless on my installs if it weren't for the bit of a safety factor a shirt offers.

Ahhh the ole Speed Monkey heatshield...I thought those were discontinued? Didn't JR have one?
    The Hawk-Eye Alliance #90|The Blobeye Syndicate #0|The Stink-Eye Mob #0|N.E.R.D. Founding Member & #3
    2012 Lightning Red WRX Sedan
    ProcessWest TMIC Cobb SF Intake w/airbox Invidia Catless Downpipe Invidia Q300 Catback Kartboy Short Shifter
    OpenSource tuned by: Matty @ WTF Tuning

I Support ClubWRX

Something of a setback

I never got or ordered new studs for the 19T. It would have been nice if Blouch included them. The Deadbolt turbo had them. In all my effort trying to gather all the required parts I forgot about the studs.

The studs in the Deadbolt turbo won't budge. Joel (my neighbor and automotive tech hero) is taking the turbo to work tomorrow to torch the studs out. I was hoping to have the turbo and downpipe finished tonight.

Update Saturday 7/23: Joel was able to find some closely matching studs at the dealership he works at. I lost an hour or so getting those. The old studs will not budge even with a torch. I have just started to put the manifold all back together. Damn I'm slow - I'll likely be finishing tomorrow.

Some pics ...

I was pleasantly surprised how clean the intake ports are in the heads.
    The manifold that I hope I can reassemble and install.
    A topless Boxer.

Last edited by Sasquatch; 07-23-2011 at 12:16 PM.
    Moderator for: Aftermarket Vendor & Installer Review / Detailing Forum / Engine Modifications / Exterior & Appearance
    Mods & Pics

I Support ClubWRX

End of day 2

Yep - it will take 3 days for me to do this. This is the most complex install I have ever attempted. I do not get much practice, so it will take more time than many others are capable of.

To quote the Unabomber TGV Delete FAQ: Read if you are thinking of buying one! - NASIOC

"How hard is it to install TGV Deletes?

Allow around six hours for install time. Professional installation, depending on your area, is around $400. This is one vehicle modification that is fairly complicated and should only be tackled by those with extensive Subaru experience"

This is not me.

I took much of the day getting the intake manifold ready for installation. I'm not entirely trusting of my ability, so I err on the side of caution. This requires many checks, rechecks and time. A leaking fuel line under the intake manifold at first start up would make for an unpleasant experience.

After one last check tomorrow morning, I am confident the manifold is good to go.

I have learned an awful lot about the layout of the fuel delivery components on the 2.0L. I have been reading about them for years, not ever having actually worked with them. Nothing like hands on experience.

I have no post worthy pics as all the ones I have taken today were for mostly reinstall reference and are largely boring.

Joel, my neighbor and garage host has only done some minor thread fixing work for a few troublesome fasteners. I told him from day one I am determined to do all of this myself for the DIY satisfaction.
    Last edited by Sasquatch; 07-23-2011 at 08:17 PM.
    Mods & Pics

Registered Whippersnapper mustangtx63's Avatar
    You can do it, Bill!

~ Retired Blobeye Syndicate #063 ~
    2011 Ford F-150 ECOBOOST 4x4

Good news, everyone! xxxxxxxAnub1s's Avatar
    I Support ClubWRX
    Do it to it man. I had to tackle new TGV gaskets, all new injector o-rings, injector cleaning, intake manifold gaskets, numerous sensor replacements, and a few other small things on my 02 only 6 months after purchasing it. It's no fun, but it's doable. You learn a LOT in the process.

Thos damn green brackets were the biggest pain out of all of it.
    Cody
    Hawk-Eye Alliance #727 N.E.R.D #255.255.255.0

Your nighttime volunteer of near-useless information.
    Good news, everyone!

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by mustangtx63 View Post
    You can do it, Bill!

Nice. The problem is I'm way older than that bunny.

Quote Originally Posted by Anub1s View Post
    Do it to it man. I had to tackle new TGV gaskets, all new injector o-rings, injector cleaning, intake manifold gaskets, numerous sensor replacements, and a few other small things on my 02 only 6 months after purchasing it. It's no fun, but it's doable. You learn a LOT in the process.

Thos damn green brackets were the biggest pain out of all of it.
    The GBOD are not so bad if you are pulling the manifold. If not, I can clearly see how they got their nickname.

As hard as it has been it has been fun to various degrees. I'm off to finish shortly.
    Mods & Pics

What method are you useing so you dont get the cel's?
    HAWK-EYE ALLIANCE #7878
    2007 WRX TR
    My work in progress. http://www.clubwrx.net/forums/off-to...ld-thread.html

i hope the tgv's are easier on the 08+.

I Support ClubWRX

End of day 3 - bad news

P0301 cylinder #1 misfire. Swapped #1 & #3 coil packs - no change. Unplugged pack #1 while running - no change.

The indications seem to be wiring. I think. Any help is appreciated.

Quote Originally Posted by irvin787878 View Post
    What method are you useing so you dont get the cel's?
    They were disabled in RomRaider.

Update 7/25: The WRX is going to Phoenix Performance & Auto Center tomorrow.

February 2014 update:

Kurt left Phoenix several months ago. Based on a recent negative service issue, I can no longer recommended Phoenix.
    Last edited by Sasquatch; 04-19-2014 at 09:55 AM.
    Mods & Pics

Quote Originally Posted by Sasquatch View Post
    P0301 cylinder #1 misfire. Swapped #1 & #3 coil packs - no change. Unplugged pack #1 while running - no change.

The indications seem to be wiring. I think. Any help is appreciated.

They were disabled in RomRaider.

Update 7/25: The WRX is going to Phoenix Performance & Auto Center tomorrow.
    That sucks about the miss fire. Good luck with that. I see about the disabled part.
    HAWK-EYE ALLIANCE #7878
    2007 WRX TR
    My work in progress. http://www.clubwrx.net/forums/off-to...ld-thread.html

I Support ClubWRX

Update on misfire CEL

Fortunately it was a simple fix (for a pro). As my neighbor and I thought it was indeed an electrical issue. Turns out even though the #1 injector plug felt fully seated, it had not made full contact with the terminals on the injector.

An image of the new injectors prior to final assembly:

I had the WRX flatbed transported to Phoenix Performance.

February 2014 update:

Kurt left Phoenix several months ago. Based on a recent negative service issue, I can no longer recommended Phoenix.

Why you should seriously consider the TGV delete mod
    :

The intake ports on the heads were nearly perfectly clean. I have used almost nothing but Sunoco Ultra 93 for 7+ years. It seems they put enough detergent in the gasoline to keep the intake clean.

The same cannot be said about the OEM TGV bodies. The small amount of deposits in the heads seems to have come directly from the OEM TGVs. Below are a few images I took of them today before I send them back to GS for the core refund. These seem to indicate the flow of air & fuel is slowed considerably as it tumbles and makes its way past the butterfly valve - closed or open.

Last edited by Sasquatch; 04-19-2014 at 09:54 AM.
    Mods & Pics

Glad things are looking up Bill!
    The Hawk-Eye Alliance #90|The Blobeye Syndicate #0|The Stink-Eye Mob #0|N.E.R.D. Founding Member & #3
    2012 Lightning Red WRX Sedan
    ProcessWest TMIC Cobb SF Intake w/airbox Invidia Catless Downpipe Invidia Q300 Catback Kartboy Short Shifter
    OpenSource tuned by: Matty @ WTF Tuning

I Support ClubWRX
    You headed to cretin fest then?

Lead Wrench @ WTF Tuning, LLC

I Support ClubWRX
    Thanks Mike

All that is left is tweaking the tune. I'm now getting P0172 system too rich. This is to be expected with new injectors. I'll be working with my tuner tomorrow. The WRX runs OK, but not as smooth as it should be. There are pops and mini backfires from time to time.

Quote Originally Posted by T0rque View Post
    You headed to cretin fest then?
    Not with this tune. I am really bummed. See the CF thread for the details.
    Mods & Pics

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.