Fuel pump, injectors, TGV deletes and TD04 19T - Page 6
Page 6 of 12 FirstFirst 123456789101112 LastLast

This is a discussion on Fuel pump, injectors, TGV deletes and TD04 19T within the Engine Modifications forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; Originally Posted by Sasquatch I'll probably have just passed 60k miles at the time of the install. Arrived today. They ...

Quote Originally Posted by Sasquatch View Post
    I'll probably have just passed 60k miles at the time of the install.

Arrived today. They are purdy ...
    yes they are.
    HAWK-EYE ALLIANCE #7878
    2007 WRX TR
    My work in progress. http://www.clubwrx.net/forums/off-to...ld-thread.html

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

arent the tgv deletes good for 1-200 rpm faster spool?
    my 16g is barely past 3000rpm(3100-3200) when it hits 21 psi... did a road dyno the other day at 19.5 psi and hit 293 whp with 279tq, I'm sure it would have been much lower on a real dyno but the torque curve is awesome it shoots up and stays there nice and flat and theres barely any drop in hp at redline... floor it at 3k and theres no lag

i messed with a p&p'd td-04 for a while and i'm glad i did cause it was fun, but i dont miss the little bit more power it had down low
    i contemplated a 19t upgrade with a td-04hl wheel but the cost was more than a brand new 16g due to the machining of the housings so i scraped the idea
    LIVE LOUD, ROCK HARD!!@

2003 WRX wagon 16g + 6 speed

Registered Whippersnapper mustangtx63's Avatar
    I'll probably have just passed 60k miles at the time of the install.
    Wow! Look who's the young 'un now...
    ~ Retired Blobeye Syndicate #063 ~
    2011 Ford F-150 ECOBOOST 4x4

I Support ClubWRX
    [QUOTE=Sasquatch;2774476]They are purdy ...

Quote Originally Posted by irvin787878 View Post
    yes they are.
    Men to new car parts are like Women to jewelry. We see it, and we want some. Not necessarily that part, but we want a new part regardless.

Should be a fun car =)
    Quote Originally Posted by Trainrex
    He was throwing balloons filled with sulfuric acid and shrapnel at the swat team. They finally had to take him down with rubber bullets.
    2011 STi Build Log
    -Part 1 - Reading, Data Logging, and Analyzing Data
    -Part 2 - Turbocharger 101 & Basic Boost Control
    -Part 3 - EcuFlash, Experimental Defintions, and a Drive By Wire Intro

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by mexicanzero View Post
    arent the tgv deletes good for 1-200 rpm faster spool?
    my 16g is barely past 3000rpm(3100-3200) when it hits 21 psi... did a road dyno the other day at 19.5 psi and hit 293 whp with 279tq, I'm sure it would have been much lower on a real dyno but the torque curve is awesome it shoots up and stays there nice and flat and theres barely any drop in hp at redline... floor it at 3k and theres no lag

i messed with a p&p'd td-04 for a while and i'm glad i did cause it was fun, but i dont miss the little bit more power it had down low
    i contemplated a 19t upgrade with a td-04hl wheel but the cost was more than a brand new 16g due to the machining of the housings so i scraped the idea
    My tuner is big on the 19T. The compressor maps for the 19T are not that dissimilar from the 16G - plenty of top end. I have read some accounts of the 16G not spooling until near 4000. That would make me cry.

I spoke with GS about the deletes. They said the effect on spool would be minimal despite what their web site says:

GrimmSpeed

"On a typical STG 2 setup you are going to realize an increase of 5-10tq/5-8hp in the low end, 10-15tq/8-12hp in the mid range, and 5-10tq/5-8hp at the high end. As you can see in the dyno graph, max gains are going to occur in the mid range.

As far as where the gains occur in the power band, your entire power band is going to see an improvement with our TGV Deletes.

These will also give you a quicker turbo spool up. If those gains weren't good enough for you, wait till you add a bigger turbo...the bigger the turbo you put on the bigger the gains are going to be from getting the GrimmSpeed™ TGV Delete
    ".

GS makes great stuff, although I think they sometimes exaggerate about their claims.

Quote Originally Posted by mustangtx63 View Post
    Wow! Look who's the young 'un now...
    I'll take young when I can get it.
    Moderator for: Aftermarket Vendor & Installer Review / Detailing Forum / Engine Modifications / Exterior & Appearance
    New Member Hangout / Off Topic / Tri-State
    ScoobyDMC #003 Blobeye Syndicate #10
    2004 WRX Sedan PSM 5MT Tactrix Stage 2+ Blouch TD04 19T @ 21 psi
    Mods & Pics

I have NEVER heard of a 16G spooling near 4000. I have seen plenty of 16G, EVO3 16G dyno charts, and even driven a 2.0L WRX w/ EVO3 16G. All spool somewhere around 3200-3500rpm. The newer 16G-XT may spool a little later (just past 3500 RPM). Even an 18G on 2.0L should spool a little before 4000RPM.

I have no idea where you got those late spool numbers from, but they are wrong, car had a crap tune, or something was wrong with the block. Regardless, I think 19T will be great for autoX and you will be happy with the turbo (at least for a while).
    Last edited by c2bcoolwrx; 07-08-2011 at 01:11 PM.

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by c2bcoolwrx View Post
    I have NEVER heard of a 16G spooling near 4000. I have seen plenty of 16G, EVO3 16G dyno charts, and even driven a 2.0L WRX w/ EVO3 16G. All spool somewhere around 3200-3500rpm. The newer 16G-XT may spool a little later (just past 3500 RPM). Even an 18G on 2.0L should spool a little before 4000RPM.

I have no idea where you got those late spool numbers from, but they are wrong, car had a crap tune, or something was wrong with the block. Regardless, I think 19T will be great for autoX and you will be happy with the turbo (at least for a while).
    NASIOC - View Single Post - TD04 19T Upgrade Discussion

^^ Even if this is a fluke, Mike at Blouch told me to expect 3500 - 3900 for their 16G.

I am sure the 16G is a great turbo.
    Moderator for: Aftermarket Vendor & Installer Review / Detailing Forum / Engine Modifications / Exterior & Appearance
    Mods & Pics

^^ Even if this is a fluke, Mike at Blouch told me to expect 3500 - 3900 for their 16G.

He was probably talking about the 16G-XT not the normal small 16G. No way in hell a small/regular 16G spools that late.

don't mean to side track this, but i was also thinking about tgv deletes.

are they worth doing before you upgrade the turbo? and should I just wait until i do the injectors and do them both at the same time?

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by shadowpr View Post
    don't mean to side track this, but i was also thinking about tgv deletes.

are they worth doing before you upgrade the turbo? and should I just wait until i do the injectors and do them both at the same time?
    This thread has been derailed plenty ... no worries.

I'd wait for the injectors - I did.
    Mods & Pics

thanks.

I also thought these numbers are a bit high, but I just figured it's a vendor being conservative with their estimates so they don't upset a customer.

You tell a customer 3,200 rpm and they spool at 3,500 rpm -

You tell a customer 3,900 rpm and they spool at 3,500 rpm -

I really do think the 19T compressor wheel is going to be the best compromise for a quick spool turbo that doesn't fall on its ass in the top end.

Blouch is also going to clip the turbine wheel so the small turbine doesn't choke the top end.
    This message printed on 100% recycled electrons.

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by wrx wagone View Post
    I also thought these numbers are a bit high, but I just figured it's a vendor being conservative with their estimates so they don't upset a customer.

You tell a customer 3,200 rpm and they spool at 3,500 rpm -

You tell a customer 3,900 rpm and they spool at 3,500 rpm -
    Agreed. Awaiting their evaluation of the turbo I had dropped off ...
    Mods & Pics

I Support ClubWRX
    I have the snail ...

Due to a mix-up in communications I ended up getting Blouch's exhaust inlet porting done for $95. Kind of pricey for that amount of porting. :/

The rebuild consisted of a minor rebuild kit (bearings, thrust bearing, seals and o-rings) and the 19T wheel. The grand total was $520 and it came with OEM style gaskets.

Yes, yes I can hear the 16G people saying for ~$200 more you'd have gotten a much better turbo.

Last edited by Sasquatch; 07-14-2011 at 01:57 PM.
    Mods & Pics

zax
    I Support ClubWRX I Support ClubWRX
    Yes, yes I can hear the 16G people saying for ~$200 more you'd have gotten a much better turbo.
    Not for the kind of spool you're looking, Bill.
    2015 CWP WRX STi on order ... But how did I get roped back into an EJ motor?!
    Zax' Shaggin' Wagon Build Thread Now tuned for 99% pure Unicorn Jizz!

Zach | Moderator -- Mid-Atlantic States, Tech & Modifying & General Repairs
    The REAL 'WTF Tuning?!' Progenitor
    Rollin' with the Bugeye Mafia #302 | N.E.R.D. Subject Zero | Blobeye Synd. #Tree-Fiddy
    Facebook me here

Your Mid-A local board: http://www.clubwrx.net/forums/mid-atlantic-states/