Fuel pump, injectors, TGV deletes and TD04 19T - Page 4
+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 12 FirstFirst 123456789101112 LastLast

This is a discussion on Fuel pump, injectors, TGV deletes and TD04 19T within the Engine Modifications forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; Originally Posted by T0rque Your going to retune anyway.. I would go with the 16g as well.. Yea it's another ...

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by T0rque View Post
    Your going to retune anyway.. I would go with the 16g as well.. Yea it's another 255 but worth it
    You too? Everyone loves spending my $.
    Moderator for: Aftermarket Vendor & Installer Review / Detailing Forum / Engine Modifications / Exterior & Appearance
    New Member Hangout / Off Topic / Tri-State
    ScoobyDMC #003 Blobeye Syndicate #10
    2004 WRX Sedan PSM 5MT Tactrix Stage 2+ Blouch TD04 19T @ 21 psi
    Mods & Pics

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by irvin787878 View Post
    The turbo thing to me is all new. If thats the case then what is the point of one turbo being able to push more cfm's than another? Am I way off in my thoughts?
    nope, you're right - the fact is, at 8psi, a massive GT40 on its way to spooling up will make more power at 3500 than a maxxed out 21psi td04...

I just don't get it physically, is all... it makes no sense
    My big thread: The Used WRX Buying Checklist - Please Contribute!

My current car: 2002 WRB WRX Wagon.
    Mods: GM BCS, Carberry SD rom, uppipe, AEM UEGO, Klunk Killer, F+R shifter bushings, head unit

From my understanding a big turbo with its big housing will need to flow more air than a smaller turbo to sustain a certain boost pressure.

Pounds per square inch..... The larger cross sectional area of the bigger turbine housing requires more air flow to sustain a given pressure than a small turbine housing.

Think of it terms of water for example, a very small hose, say the size of a straw wont need as much water flow to achieve a certain pressure as a garden hose.

So a td04 sustaining 18psi is not moving as much air per unit time as a larger turbo, whatever it may be. So 18 psi is not equivalent in every turbo. To think that is just silly.
    Contributing unsolicited, worthless opinions since 9/10...
    The project I spend all my money on.... <---- Click it

Quote Originally Posted by metaldahlberg View Post
    From my understanding a big turbo with its big housing will need to flow more air than a smaller turbo to sustain a certain boost pressure.

Pounds per square inch..... The larger cross sectional area of the bigger turbine housing requires more air flow to sustain a given pressure than a small turbine housing.

Think of it terms of water for example, a very small hose, say the size of a straw wont need as much water flow to achieve a certain pressure as a garden hose.

So a td04 sustaining 18psi is not moving as much air per unit time as a larger turbo, whatever it may be. So 18 psi is not equivalent in every turbo. To think that is just silly.
    Naturally - but boost is measured in the intake manifold (which is constant, whatever your turbo), not inside the turbo. For flow to happen, you need a source and a sink - it just doesn't make sense that changing the source, without changing the sink, changes the sink somehow :/

Mods: GM BCS, Carberry SD rom, uppipe, AEM UEGO, Klunk Killer, F+R shifter bushings, head unit

I don't see what the problem is. The intercooler, intake and manifold, I think, will generally be able to flow pretty well. So I think the real variable is the turbo. If you are providing more air per unit time with a better/bigger turbo more air will flow through the rest of the air tract. It's not as if the rest of the intake system is maxed out by a td04 at 20psi. So more air from turbo means more air for everything. The engine is consuming more air at that point.
    Last edited by metaldahlberg; 07-04-2011 at 05:37 PM.

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by Sasquatch View Post
    I'm already $pending more than I wanted to. The XT is another $255.
    The XT is a much better turbo. It'll spool the same or faster than blouch's old 16g, but give you a decent bit more power.
    Kevin
    Sinister's Blowoff Valve FAQ
    WRX Gas Mileage FAQ
    Sinister's Progress Thread - 430whp 429wtq - Sold
    Firearms Enthusiasts Thread

The Sheriff's Star at the bottom left corner rates a user's reputation.
    If you found a user's post to be helpful or quite the opposite, please make it known to them by clicking the Star!

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by poly_poly-man View Post
    well, for a fixed VE, a fixed-size intake manifold, etc... how can more air flow through a hole that's constant in two cases with identical pressures?
    it can't. You fixed the variable. VE. Volumetric Efficiency. Different size turbos will have different pressures where they're more efficient. If you're more efficient, there is less friction. There is less heat produced. There are more CFM's flowing... and therefore more power.
    Kevin
    Sinister's Blowoff Valve FAQ
    WRX Gas Mileage FAQ
    Sinister's Progress Thread - 430whp 429wtq - Sold
    Firearms Enthusiasts Thread

The Sheriff's Star at the bottom left corner rates a user's reputation.
    If you found a user's post to be helpful or quite the opposite, please make it known to them by clicking the Star!

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by Sasquatch View Post
    You too? Everyone loves spending my $.
    sorry sir... just my opinion tho..

Lead Wrench @ WTF Tuning, LLC

I Support ClubWRX
    this thread makes my head hurt.

Lead Wrench @ WTF Tuning, LLC

Quote Originally Posted by Sinister View Post
    There are more CFM's flowing... and therefore more power.
    pretty much what i was getting at
    HAWK-EYE ALLIANCE #7878
    2007 WRX TR
    My work in progress. http://www.clubwrx.net/forums/off-to...ld-thread.html

eerk, it's still not making sense.

Let's just say for a minute that your turbo is compressing a totally sealed box (or, somehow, your turbo is working, but your intake valves are all closed for some reason). at 38psia, and a fixed temperature, PV=nRT - you can't escape that - this means that you'll get a fixed mass of air, no matter what's compressing it.

No obviously, the case is different, since there's flow, but it seems like this is a good approximation, until the intake valve opens. At that point, the pressure difference (multiplied by the area open) causes a force, that can accelerate a certain mass of air (fixed volume, no matter what, unless the temperature is different, etc.) through the hole.

Where does the airflow capability come into this (unless MAP drops significantly every intake stroke ???)

Quote Originally Posted by Sinister View Post
    it can't. You fixed the variable. VE. Volumetric Efficiency. Different size turbos will have different pressures where they're more efficient. If you're more efficient, there is less friction. There is less heat produced. There are more CFM's flowing... and therefore more power.
    I'm talking VE of the engine - which, as I'm aware, does not change for a different turbo (or else speed density wouldn't work, right?)...

You're right about the compressor efficiency, to a point, but that's not the main change. It is certainly possible to find two turbos, run them at the same efficiency and pressure (but different airflows), and see a massive change in power...

I get that the greater the volume (well, really mass, but for the sake of the CFM comparison) of air you push into an engine, the more power. I'm just wondering HOW, with the same pressure, you can get more air to go in?

A sealed box is not a good approximation of a flow path. The air is going into the engine. A bigger turbo at 18 psi puts more air into the engine than a smaller turbo at 18psi. You are over thinking it. You are not taking into account that the engine is consuming the extra air.

Quote Originally Posted by metaldahlberg View Post
    A sealed box is not a good approximation of a flow path. The air is going into the engine. A bigger turbo at 18 psi puts more air into the engine than a smaller turbo at 18psi. You are over thinking it. You are not taking into account that the engine is consuming the extra air.
    exactly. My question is.... HOW? How does the engine take in more air???

I'm not trying to argue - I'm just really confused

I assume that would come from tuning the valve timing.

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.