Fuel pump, injectors, TGV deletes and TD04 19T - Page 10
Page 10 of 12 FirstFirst 123456789101112 LastLast

This is a discussion on Fuel pump, injectors, TGV deletes and TD04 19T within the Engine Modifications forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; The WRX is now running much more smoothly with no CELs. While there is still more tune tweaking to be ...

I Support ClubWRX

First tuning session

The WRX is now running much more smoothly with no CELs. While there is still more tune tweaking to be done, the initial results are promising.

I may have lost 100 - 200 rpms of spool, but the upper end of the powerband seems radically transformed. I am not used to seeing the tach climb as fast as it now does. It will take some time to evaluate the the overall feel as the tune improves.

Once the tune gets dialed closer to the ideals the spool up may yet increase. I'm still going over the logs along with my tuner. There is now ample headroom for the injectors.
    Last edited by Sasquatch; 07-30-2011 at 12:18 PM.
    Moderator for: Aftermarket Vendor & Installer Review / Detailing Forum / Engine Modifications / Exterior & Appearance
    New Member Hangout / Off Topic / Tri-State
    ScoobyDMC #003 Blobeye Syndicate #10
    2004 WRX Sedan PSM 5MT Tactrix Stage 2+ Blouch TD04 19T @ 21 psi
    Mods & Pics

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

get your tuner to do a virtual dyno next time, not for #'s but to see the powerband
    and 1-200rpm is a small price to pay for the improvements!
    LIVE LOUD, ROCK HARD!!@

2003 WRX wagon 16g + 6 speed

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by mexicanzero View Post
    get your tuner to do a virtual dyno next time, not for #'s but to see the powerband
    and 1-200rpm is a small price to pay for the improvements!
    A virtual dyno was mentioned and is a possibility. My tuner is guesstimating 280 awhp may be the new number (246 was the old).

I will likely do some real dyno pulls when the weather cools down for more accurate comparisons to the previous mod lists. The 3 pulls I had were done at 60 - 70 degrees F.
    Last edited by Sasquatch; 07-30-2011 at 06:03 PM.
    Moderator for: Aftermarket Vendor & Installer Review / Detailing Forum / Engine Modifications / Exterior & Appearance
    Mods & Pics

If you did loose that small amount of spool I'm sure the volume of air you're moving is more than making up for it. Should be a nice daily driver power band. I've been having a harder time resisting a turbo upgrade lately, if I was 2.0 I'd be all over the 19T upgrade.
    ...Rob.
    MMVI WRX - VF43 Airboy Tuned @ 3500'

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by mudferret View Post
    If you did loose that small amount of spool I'm sure the volume of air you're moving is more than making up for it. Should be a nice daily driver power band. I've been having a harder time resisting a turbo upgrade lately, if I was 2.0 I'd be all over the 19T upgrade.
    This is only day one - so far I like what I see. The tach rises fast, I then look over at the speedo and see serious numbers. It was rather hot out today - I can only imagine what will be with a tweaked tune and cooler weather.
    Mods & Pics

Great to hear Bill! Next Victory Meet looks promising then
    The Hawk-Eye Alliance #90|The Blobeye Syndicate #0|The Stink-Eye Mob #0|N.E.R.D. Founding Member & #3
    2012 Lightning Red WRX Sedan Stock...for now Soon to be OpenSource tuned by: Mattypants @ WTF Tuning
    "If I have 10 ice cubes and you have 11 giraffes, how many pancakes can fit on the roof? Purple, because aliens donít wear hats" -Ying

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by Mikie13 View Post
    Next Victory Meet looks promising then
    I am ready now. CF 2011 not so much.
    Mods & Pics

Quote Originally Posted by Sasquatch View Post
    I am ready now. CF 2011 not so much.
    Yeah I was bummed about that. I planned to go months ago...even told my boss. Couple weeks ago, he forgot and we had a big upgrade scheduled.

At least I'll have my BBS's and a half decent un-mangled door for this Victory meet...and I'll be bringing the girl I'm seeing. She loves cars, and beer
    The Hawk-Eye Alliance #90|The Blobeye Syndicate #0|The Stink-Eye Mob #0|N.E.R.D. Founding Member & #3
    2012 Lightning Red WRX Sedan Stock...for now Soon to be OpenSource tuned by: Mattypants @ WTF Tuning
    "If I have 10 ice cubes and you have 11 giraffes, how many pancakes can fit on the roof? Purple, because aliens donít wear hats" -Ying

I Support ClubWRX
    ...and I'll be bringing the girl I'm seeing. She loves cars, and beer
    Topless pics or it never happened ...
    Mods & Pics

Registered Whippersnapper mustangtx63's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Sasquatch View Post
    Topless pics or it never happened ...
    This. Please post in the I heart bewbies thread. thx
    ~ Retired Blobeye Syndicate #063 ~
    2011 Ford F-150 ECOBOOST 4x4

Man, great read. I am way stoked about your progress!
    2004 Impreza Outback Sport - Sold
    2004 WRB WRX - Sold
    2006 SGM WRX - 400AWHP - Mods

My 2006 Build

I Support ClubWRX
    bump for update?

(what'd you end up doing with the phenolics?)
    Kevin
    Sinister's Blowoff Valve FAQ
    WRX Gas Mileage FAQ
    Sinister's Progress Thread - 430whp 429wtq - Sold
    Firearms Enthusiasts Thread

The Sheriff's Star at the bottom left corner rates a user's reputation.
    If you found a user's post to be helpful or quite the opposite, please make it known to them by clicking the Star!

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by Sinister View Post
    bump for update?

(what'd you end up doing with the phenolics?)
    Once the intake was off and I saw what was left to do for the reinstall I just got an uneasy feeling about the spacers. The pins in the heads would not help with the realignment and I was also unsure about how an extra 4mm of intake height would affect how everything would reassemble.

I had the second intake gasket and spacers in their original unopened packages. GrimmSpeed gave me a full refund. Having sent the OEM TGV bodies back for the $140 core value, the gaskets and spacers went along for the ride.

With the weather cooling off and a few revisions of the tune in now place the upgrades provided a definite noticeable bump in performance. There is still a bit of tune tweaking to be done and some dyno time is a probability within a month.

100 - 300 rpms of fast spool have been lost. Thought I would really miss it, but it was a simple matter of shifting at different times. The increase in the top end has more than made up for this. The maximum amount of boost is about the same as before - it just does not drop off as fast. I now have ~3 psi more boost near redline - a very noticeable difference.

Without having installed a TD05 20G to compare with, I'd say the TD04 19T did all I'd expected of it and then some. The 650cc injectors are pushed to < 80% duty cycle. Plenty of headroom for the cold weather coming.

There is popping and mini-backfiring I did not have before the swap. I'm hoping this is mostly due to the TGV deletes and the way the fuel is able to flow more freely. It is possible the tune is still a tad rich.
    Last edited by Sasquatch; 10-03-2011 at 03:18 PM.
    Mods & Pics

Popping and after-fire makes it sound fast

Flames shooting out of the exhaust make it look faster

I Support ClubWRX
    A slight downside to the TGV deletes: it has gotten down to the lower - mid 40s in the early morning. The idle at start up has been affected. It has become somewhat unsteady for a minute or so, but quickly smooths out. I'm wondering what this might be like when the temps are near zero. :/

Popping and after-fire makes it sound fast
    It does sound kind of cool ...

Flames shooting out of the exhaust make it look faster
    My neighbor installed a "flame thrower" system on his 1991 Mustang project car. Meh.
    Mods & Pics