Stage 2 with stock catback opinions

This is a discussion on Stage 2 with stock catback opinions within the Engine Modifications forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; After searching around the web I've come across many conflicting opinions on Stage 2 with the stock cbe. Half of ...

Stage 2 with stock catback opinions

After searching around the web I've come across many conflicting opinions on Stage 2 with the stock cbe. Half of the people say at stage 2 power level a cbe is nothing more than a very expensive noise maker. While the other half claim the stock cbe is very restrictive and much better gains will be had with a full tbe. I have not found any actual testing on the subject other than what seems to be opinions. I would prefer to keep things sounding stock but I want all of the power running a stage 2 tune will offer.

I will be using the Torqued Performance stage 2 map with stock air box and debating between Invidia or Cobb for dp/exhaust.
    2012 WRX ice silver metallic
    Protuned by Agile Auto 315whp/342wtq @ 20.5psi

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Stock CBE is not a restriction at stage 2 levels, you have 2.5" piping which is more than adequate. In fact, COBB's DP rear flange is 2.5" just as a reference so if the CBE were a restriction, the DP would be as well. If you want quiet with more power, it's a great way to go.
    Stink eye mob #727
    2011 WRX DGM Hatch, Protuned Stage 1

I used to have an invidia g200 on my car. I got so bored of the noise I put the stock cutback back on and I honestly did not feel any loss of power. I now don't attract so much unwanted attention from the police and my neighbors. I do miss the rumble sometimes though. I'd rather fly under the radar I guess.
    Life is like riding a bicycle in order to keep your balance you must keep moving.

Quote Originally Posted by jd92677 View Post
    Stock CBE is not a restriction at stage 2 levels, you have 2.5" piping which is more than adequate. In fact, COBB's DP rear flange is 2.5" just as a reference so if the CBE were a restriction, the DP would be as well. If you want quiet with more power, it's a great way to go.
    I am aware of that. If I go for a full tbe I was planning on the Invidia because it's 3'' all the way. If I stay with the stock cbe I will get the Cobb dp so it fits well with the stock exhaust.

Quote Originally Posted by oguitar View Post
    I used to have an invidia g200 on my car. I got so bored of the noise I put the stock cutback back on and I honestly did not feel any loss of power. I now don't attract so much unwanted attention from the police and my neighbors. I do miss the rumble sometimes though. I'd rather fly under the radar I guess.
    That is what I am afraid of. I put a cat back on my previous vehicle which in no way is related to this car but after a month or 2 certain things about the exhaust started to get on my nerves. While I really like the sound of a Subaru with an exhaust I'm not so sure it's something I would want for a dd. I want to be able to take my car on road trips and not be annoyed after an hour of driving. Now, if it was a weekend car that would be a different story.

there are quite a few cat-back systems out there that are pretty mellow though. Having heard quite a few in person now most that are resonated and have a proper muffler aren't really nasty loud. If you want a little growl but dont want it loud look into nameless performance or perrin.. both have a reasonable axleback and catback option for the 3G cars. (perrin you'll have to look at 08+sti for the dual outlets)

I'm in just about the same boat you are with exception to tuning. I want some rumble but spend long hours in the car for work/fun trips on a regular basis. I want sound without loud. The factory resonated mid pipe really isn't a restriction at stgII (as mentioned) .. so you could easily get away with the cobb dp, factory mid pipe and a nice axle back. That way you have some sound but not a deafening droning amount and a bit more power on tap.
    OBP 2010 5dr *traded*
    SWP 2013 FRS
    My name is Shawn, I'm a Devout Practicalist and I'm addicted to flat4's
    This page has had 1,666 visits
    SUCH IS MANGO!

I'm running the TurboXS standard axleback (Pickup up used for $200 on ebay) and I definitely recommend it. It gives some great rumble, but at a sound level that's respectable and won't attract too much attention. I've let the car idle in parking lots and gotten comments like "That thing aint stock!", but on the highway it still doesn't drown out my radio even at low volumes. Sometimes I want something louder, but then I realize what I have is much more tasteful.

Out of curiousity (Not to jack OP's thread), what other downpipes will mate up to a stock mid-pipe? I'm interested, myself.
    Last edited by Uh Oh; 06-26-2011 at 11:45 AM.
    -Holden
    Bugeye wagon - ERZ Uppipe - TurboXS Axleback - Swift Springs - JNA Lip

Quote Originally Posted by Eric05mx View Post
    I am aware of that. If I go for a full tbe I was planning on the Invidia because it's 3'' all the way. If I stay with the stock cbe I will get the Cobb dp so it fits well with the stock exhaust.
    You can get an adaptor to mate a 3" DP with a stock exhaust. Don't let outlet size dictate what you buy. If you want the Invidia, get the adaptor, i think they're $20 or so.
    Stink eye mob #727
    2011 WRX DGM Hatch, Protuned Stage 1

Ya, you can get the adapter and use any down pipe with a flat flange. If the stock cat back will not restrict the power of stage 2 I am just going with a down pipe. I think it would be cool to have the power of stage 2 and yet still sound and look stock to the untrained eye.

Not a fair comparison but I was with my buddy in his 04 Cobra today. Minor bolt on's and tuned running no cats and while it's awesome in a straight line w.o.t. I couldn't imagine driving that car for more than an hour.

After talking with Eric from Torqued Performance I have decided on a down pipe with stock cbe. He said the gains from a cbe at the stage 2 power level are so minimal you would never feel the difference on a daily driver. I know Cobb, Perrin, Invidia, etc.. will claim gains of about 20hp from a cat back but they also make a living selling parts so that is expected.

I am very satisfied with the Torqued Performance stage 1 tune so I'm anxious to try out stage 2. I've read nothing but good things about his online tuning.

As for the down pipe I went with Cobb catted for a few reasons. I was 100 bucks more than the Invidia but if everything I read holds to be true with the Cobb it will be worth it.

So you cant hear the rumble even with a catless dp?

You hear more of the engine then the exhaust.
    Life is like riding a bicycle in order to keep your balance you must keep moving.